Bad 18v X2 Batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad 18v X2 Batteries

I bought a Ridgid X2 18v battery powered tool kit 2 years ago. This included a circular saw, drill and a flashlight. Now both batteries are dead, they won't do anything on a charger that I know works.

They both had a full charge when I went to use them, one on the drill and the other on the saw. They went dead in about 1 minute a piece of usage and now I can't get them to charge. I have a 12v X2 Ridgid drill that came with a charger and they don't charge on that either. Nothing happens went you put them on either charger.

Can I take these to Home Depot or do I need to find a warranty repair place. Are they repairable or would they be replaced?

Home Depot won't be able to help you. You need to take them or send them to an Authorized Ridgid Service Center. If you registered for the Lifetime Service Agreement you'll get new ones at no charge. If you didn't, Home Depot will be happy to sell you new ones.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Freeze

You can try Freezing them I once heard that if you freeze them overnite sometimes the battery come back. If they do start to work put a few cycles threw them complete drain full charge to recondition them.
      Let us know if it works and good luck.

Comment

After batteries sit for long periods of time they will lose their charge. Also it will take a few charge cycles to bring them back to their previous condition. However in your case where they won’t charge at all or the 12v batteries either, it may be your charger that is out of whack. Take them to the service center and have both the batteries and charger checked.

I never heard of putting them in the freezer. Has anyone else had sucess doing this?
        Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

I left my 2 batteries from my 4piece combo in my attic in temeratures over 120 degrees. So I stick them on the charger and all I get is a red light. Frustrated with my dead batteries I decided to let them cool off. Still problems... Finally I let them sit on the charger for a few hrs and they finally straightened out after a few charges and now work as good as new. Does your chargers fan run at all when you stick the batteries on?

Please don't take this as official RIDGID advice. Not my area... I am just the web guy I just thought I would share my experience with my battery problem as a fellow user.

Josh
          Last edited by Josh; 01-06-2006, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg
            I never heard of putting them in the freezer. Has anyone else had sucess doing this?
            I read somewhere that this was supposed to work to make old batteries act like new ones again. My 7 or 8 year old 9.6V DeWalt batteries were not holding a charge very well so I decided to give it a try.

What you're supposed to do is let them sit in the freezer for 24 hours. After 24 hour, remove them from the freezer and then let them sit at room temperature for another 24 hours and then run them thru a recharge cycle. In my case, it didn't make any difference as I saw no difference in the run time of the batteries after freezing them. YRMV

Comment

If there dead its worth trying to freeze them this is something I have heard I have no experince with I would try the 24 hour plan.
              Don't Forget to post back and let us know if this works.
              If you need a battery look at ebay you can get brand new ones for $30 plus shiping.

Comment

I thought Ridgid batteries were covered by the lifetime warranty or lifetime service agreement.
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
                  I thought Ridgid batteries were covered by the lifetime warranty or lifetime service agreement.
                  They are, if you have the tool properly registered with Ridgid.

Comment

They still should be covered by the 3 year warranty.... remember he said his kit was 2 years old.
                    Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

What I tried

Sorry it took so long to reply, had a leak in my water heater and had to replace it. I tried freezing them for 24 hours and letting them sit for 24 hours, then tried to charge them. No luck. I've left them on the charger for over 24 hours and no fan comes on. I put my 12 volt batteries (the charger is good for 12/14.4 and 18) and the fans come and they charge. So I know the charger works.

So, I guess it's off the repair center to see if the warranty works or not.

Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

dead batteries

If you dont have warranty to get it fixed, why dont you try to fix it yourself?
                        I happened to have an experience with my 18V Battery drill, it kept short circuiting all the batteries I had (there was a problem with the variable speed switch). My batteries cant be used and cant be charged either. First I check the output voltage of the battery, It was zero volt. So, it was definitely something wrong with one of the jumpers. I opened the battery with torx screw driver T10 size. I found out a jumper connection right on the front edge of the battery pack, on the top of 2 cells was split. The jumper connection acted like a protective fuse to prevent damage on the cells. I just soldered them together. And now all my batteries are working properly. And if in the future your power tools short circuit the battery, dont worry, I am sure the solder will split up as they cant handle the heat too much. It happened to me like nearly 10 times. My batteries are ok but my battery drill is still stuffed. I have to order the replacement switch from spare part dealer in ohio, which really annoys me coz I live in new zealand (the shipping cost is as expensive as the switch). Check my other reply for eric http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...?t=6369&page=2

Cheers

Henry
                        Last edited by st3ntor; 01-12-2006, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X