X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router bit cleaning

I know there is probably something in the archives, but a search didn't turn it up, so I'm bringing up this topic again.

I know we discussed cleaning router bits in the past, but has anyone considered or read about using a ultrasonic cleaner to clean router bits?

Why would it not work with the proper cleaning solution?

HF has one for $39. Make a little rack out of some SS wire to hold the bits and you are set I would think.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3305

Comments anyone?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Hmmm?

Can you use resin cleaner? Like the stuff used to clean table saw blades?

Comment

I've been told to use oven cleaner on saw blades should work on router bits too?

Comment

Thanks guys, I know about using those products to clean saw blades and bits, but my question was about the possibility of using ultrasonic cleaning.

I guess no one has tried or heard of anyone using it since no one has replied to that affect yet. I tried searching a couple other forums and didn't get any hits there either.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

Bob - I know nothing about ultrasonic cleaning systems, but I was thinking that a blade sharpening shop might. Seems like if it worked, they would know about it. I need to drop some blades off in the next couple of weeks and I'll ask.

Comment

OK, I was curious if there could be any detrimental affect on the carbide, don't know. Seems like it would get into the pores of the metal and clean all the gunk (sap, pitch, or gum) out. The one I was looking at had a timer so if you had a wire rack to set the bits in the bath then you could just start it up and the cleaner would shut down after so many seconds, leaving the bits to soak until removed from the bath.

Sure sounds easier than breathing oven cleaner fumes and scrubbing to me.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

Bob

That is a very good question and something I have never thought of doing. I don’t know the theory behind their operation or if it would in someway compromise the integrity of the bit but it would be nice to know. Perhaps an email to one or more of the bit manufactures would resolve this.

Woodslayer

PS: CJH20, what is that picture of?

Comment

Cherry and maple shavings after planing for a drawer. Guess I need a new avatar.

Comment

No, you don’t need a new one; I was just looking at it wrong (without glasses). It appeared to slightly resemble skin covered with something, that is what had me wondering.

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer
                    Bob

Perhaps an email to one or more of the bit manufactures would resolve this.

Woodslayer

PS: CJH20, what is that picture of?
                    I sent an email to CMT asking them what they thought about it.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Had contact with ultrasonic cleaners in the acft industry. Advantage was that it didn't cause ANY dimensional change (damage) to the parts like abrasives or acid or base-type chemicals (they also use it on electronic printed circuit boards and in the jewelry industry for cleaning rings, etc. ) so I seriously doubt there would be any material degradation in the blades or welds (for carbide). The theory is that electronic sound waves cause the solution to turn into bubbles on the surface. The bubbles occuring on the metal surface "scrub " the debris off, breaking it loose from the surface. Having the right solution is the key. The problem with resin may be that it is very similar to paint, and ultrasound cleans the painted surfaces but doesn't remove the paint because the solution doesn't get under the paint to break it loose. In theory, it would probably work, but would probably require pre-soaking in some solution to soften the resin.
                      My experience was with equipment costing big $$$, so I don't know how effective a $39 unit would be. With all the advances in electronics, lately, it may well work.
                      Well, thats my $0.02 worth
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for your input. I don't know if a $39 unit like I suggested is the right choice but I thought I would go cheap and try it out. If it worked I'd pass the $39 unit off to the wife to clean jewerly with and go for a bigger, better one for the real gold....the tools, what else

It will be interesting to see what a reply from CMT (if at all) has to say.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Ok, Here's what CMT had to say about it;

Subject: RE: Customer Tech Support @ cmtusa.com
                          Date: Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:18:53 PM
                          Fri, 13 Jan 2006 02:18:53 +0000

Dear Sir,

We have industrial saw shops that dilute the ultrasonic baths with up to a 3 part water 1 part 2050 solution. This will have no ill effect on router bits and saw blades.

Sincerely,

CMT USA, Inc.

-------------

OK, so what is 2050 solution I wonder. Is that a CMT product? More searching I guess, but on the plus side we got a quick answer from them which was very nice for a change.

----------

Well that was easy. I went to their site and found this;

Formula 2050 Blade & Bit Cleaner :

Finally, a safe environment friendly cleaner that is more effective than all those hazardous chemicals used to clean cutting tools.

Saw shops know how to get the most out of cutting tools. They know that the pitch and resin wood leaves behind greatly shortens the useful life of carbide. We had several quality saw blade sharpeners across the country test our Formula 2050. “Phenomenal” and similar words were heard over and over about the performance of Formula 2050.

Most blade and bit cleaning products work with a dissolving action. It takes some powerful and nasty chemicals to dissolve wood residues and adhesives. Our safe and non-toxic Formula 2050 penetrates the microscopic cracks in the resin and attacks the bond between it and the carbide or steel surfaces. The resin releases it’s grip and you simply wipe it off.

Clean cutting surfaces run cooler and work less in the cut. The excess friction of a resin coated blade causes heat build-up and carbide break down. Formula 2050 keeps your tooling clean and helps you increase the life span between sharpenings and replacement. We guarantee your satisfaction with the performance of our CMT Formula 2050 Blade and Bit Cleaner.

Removes pitch, resin and adhesive residue from all woodworking cutting tools (Saw blades, router bits, drill bits, shaper cutters, planer blades, etc.)

Completely non-toxic, non-flammable, certified biodegradable. Formula 2050 is a safe, earth-friendly product.

Do not rinse after cleaning. Formula 2050 provides protection from rust and corrosion. Keeps your table saw top rust free too!

Can be applied by spray bottles or used in ultrasonic cleaners and dip tanks.

This is not an orange citrus based product.

----------------

So, its looks like a untrasonic cleaning tank is in my future.

---------------
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

Bob

Thanks for following up and thanks to Gofor for the explanation.

Woodslayer

Comment

Well, I haven't picked up an ultrasonic cleaner yet, not any of CMT's 2050 cleaning solution, both of the locations that have these items locally are outside my regular operating radius and I don't want to order the ultrasonic cleaner sight-unseen over the internet, be disappointed and have to send it back. The cleaner I can get at Woodcraft but that is 35 miles away in another state, so don't get by there unless I make a special trip.

Once I do get the cleaner and cleaning solution and try it out, I'll report back here how well it worked (or not).
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X