Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw gun & bit compatibilities?

Hi guys,
    I have a simple question I am hoping someone here can answer for me. I am wanting to know if a robertson square drive bit will work with a screw gun? I know it will obviously work in the bit holder. I want to know if it will work with the depth setting capability that a phillips bit can achieve. It seems to me that it should be possible, but I don't know how repeatable or consistent it would be.
    I am ready to pour the footer for a new house and am looking down the road at laying the decking and hanging the drywall. I prefer the robertson heads to phillips for alot of reasons and would like to get a screw gun to use from the beginning.
    Thanks for your input.

Thom

The screwgun will hold the bit. They take a 1/4" drive. HOWEVER, I've not seen drywall screws that are square drive. Check availability and price. Tile Backer screws, though the have the square drive, have a larger head that will interfere probably. Bits are disposable and cheap. The square drive bits are free in the boxes of screws. I keep throwing them out because I have no use for so many.

Comment

I prefer using the square drive stainless steel screws for the basic structure when building with treated lumber (have built several handicap ramps, decks, etc.) I also prefer screws to nails for the top but use the coasted deck screws for that, and they are hard to find with square drive.
      That said, the square drive stainless will round out quickly if you don't maintain pressure, and will take a titanium or better bit to drill the head off if disassembly is required.
      The drivers I use are 12v Dewalts I've had for a while and they push them fine.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I can find the screws, that doesn't seem to be a problem. I can't seem to find anyone in the tool departments that could tell me if a basic screw gun would work properly for driving to the preset depth. I guess I am gonna have to bite the bullet to find out. I guess most manufacturers do have a no risk policy... gonna take them up on it.
        I have used a couple of SS screws, I will admit they are pretty tough.
        Thanks!

Comment

You can use what ever pit you wantin screw guns. As long as they are 1/4 hex and 1" long. For long deck screws you may want to get a deck gun instead of drywall. They have a higher torque and lower rpm
          "

Comment

Working...
          X