X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ridgid 12" SCMS not cutting properly

I have had my 12" sliding miter saw for about 1 yr now. I am a DIYer and only use it in my shop (not a jobsite saw). It seemed to make OK, though not great, cuts when I got it (with the stock blade). It has since gone downhill to the point where a even cutting a 1x4 hardwood yields a poor cut.

I have tried a different blade (a Forrest chopmaster). Didnt help. I tried adjusting the sliding mechanizm per the instructions. After investing 1.5 hrs, I might have made it worse. Definately no better.

The blade appears to wander to such an extent that there might be 1/32" ridge (no pun intended).

Does anyone have any suggestions.

aberezin, I have the Ridgid MS1290LZ (12" compound miter saw) and if I place the panels on the bed of the saw (ridgid Orange) close together so they are just slightly open more than the thickness for the blade I get a better cut (cleaner finish). The only thing I can think of that relates to this (if you have any engineering background) would be a punch & die set up. The less clearance the die has and the sharper the punch the better the cut.

Hope this makes sense,
    David

Comment

Re: My Ridgid 12" SCMS not cutting properly

I have a LZ model from HD thats about 5 1/2 yrs old... and I'm disgusted. I thought that I was the only one with this tracking problem and now it appears that I;m not. I figured that I had done something wrong. You can square the fence and table all day long but the tubes will still track out of square when extended all the way out (to about 1/8" out of square!!) I'm going to contact a tech and see if I can't get a new power head from an "A" model sent out to see if the newly produced models have fixed this issue yet. It's as if the bearing that supports the powerhead were pressed in incorrectly or the casting was not correct, either way it's completely unacceptable to sell a miter saw that doesn't friggin cut straight. A 600$ Saw that can't cut a straight line is as good as scrap. I was young(er) when I bought this saw and thought it was the cats ***... big dual bevel with a friggin lazer on it's forehead.(which is also worthless btw) Now that I'm older and have wasted several hundred feet in crown cutoffs that didn't matchup and cursing my math and ability, I find that it wasn't me all along.... I found all this out today! five years later! OY! Do yourself a favor if you haven't already bought this boat anchor yet and get youself a mikita.

Comment

Hi guys
        I also have a 12" double compound sliding mitersaw from Ridgid and have the same problem. Did anybody find a fix yet. I also have an older Makita and it's still more accurate due to the bars on the ridgid being off angle a bit. Sure would like to get it fixed as I like the Ridgid more.

Comment

Yeh I have 2 RIDGID 12" MITER SAWS THEY don't compare to my Hitachi or makitas. the guard systems fail constantly. also the holddown clamp puts too much pressure on the fence trows it out of wack. buy a hitachi LOL

Comment

I'm not going to comment about the first two posts as they are from 06', however with regards to the last three I noticed that none of you mentions taking the saw to a Ridgid service center to see if they can address your issues. We have two of those saws, the first one from 07' and the last one purchased about six months ago. We had some issues with the earlier saw and took it to a service center a couple of years ago and they replaced some stuff which took care of the problems and with the LSA it didn't cost a cent. The new saw has been bullet proof with no problems and holds much tighter registration than the old one ever has. Soooooooooo unless you just like to rant, I suggest giving a service center a try. good luck.............Ray

Comment

Hi guys
              I will check on a local service center to see where I can take it. I did have gaurd problems and I have seen other guys with gaurd problems. I meen that the saw is hard to pull down initially. It's because of the bushing that lifts the blade gaurd. I have seen saws where they have bent the bar. I went to a local guy that repairs electric motors and bought a bearing to replace the bushing. It has a 7/8" o.d. and makes a big diffrence.

Comment

Working...
              X