No announcement yet.

If You Could Change Your Power Tools...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pink cordless tools?? regardless of colors or shades of our tools, its not important..

Comment

Color is no issue to me some of it is funny how much money would go into making a color, when people like me just paint parts of it a color we like and identifies my tool from a distance. The warranty and the way it feels in my hand is a big factor. The over mold grip is great i use my impact driver most of the day. To fix the problem with my drill coming out of my tool belt I'll attach a strap to hold it down. But i will still have the problem with my hammer.....
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by binary
        Features are seeming to blend between brand and sometimes it really comes down to picking a brand you love (for pros) or a color you like (for beginners).
        You guys (as usual) are missing my point on color.
        Let me be a little more specific.
        If you could change the color of your brand of tool; would you?

Examples:
        Ag tractors , like tools always had been available in specific colors - Brand colors.
        One day, in Europe, the http://www.valtra.com/ Valtra Tractor Co. decides to try a change, they made their equipment available in 8 different colors. Their sales and market share increased double digits from one year to the next.

http://www.shureusa.com/Shure Mfg. Co. not satisfied in making just another red tool cabinet, offers theirs in 22 colors, not to mention whole shop ensembles (I'm just waiting to win the lotto.).

Of course, their would be disgusting colors, that for what ever reason would not sell well, http://www.professionalequipment.com...qx/default.htm, but would make a great gag gift! You could even get http://www.littlepinktoolkit.com/ these to fill it with.

Anyway, what I'm asking about color, is would color choices be good for power tools? Like I said previously, my Porter-Cable tools constantly get lost in worhshop clutter, I think they should lose the classic gray theme and choose something that is a little more visible.
        Makita, years ago, made the familiar color, and for some vendors, made a red line. Mag Lites, sold in all sorts of colors, made a specific shade of red that the Snap-on dealers carried and that is what they'd warranty.
        Is color starting to make sense yet?
        Home Depot sells the Orange Ridgid, while, WXYZ sells the Red versions, and ABC sells the Green, Lowes could have their Blue version, etc. Not to mention, they could sell limited edition versions in specific colors.
        To me this would make good marketing sense. And it would get more tools sold.
        Another example:
        I have my 100 grit paper on my green sander, and the 150 on the red sander. (hey palm and RO sanders are cheap) You get to a spot that needs more (with the 100), you change sanders, and at a moments notice, you'd know what you are sanding with.

Clear as mud??
        Now, question:
        Would you buy the same tool in another color?????? It would identify it as YOURS! etc.
        Last edited by PhilG.; 02-07-2006, 09:55 AM.
        Phil
        Tools Rule

Comment

Yes if Ridgid came in navy blue then i'd buy that since all my tools are blue. Metalic silver just blends in with the steel studs....

Comment

No. Color doesn't matter to me. The tool doing what it is designed/advertised as being capable of does.
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG.
              Home Depot sells the Orange Ridgid, while, WXYZ sells the Red versions, and ABC sells the Green, Lowes could have their Blue version, etc. Not to mention, they could sell limited edition versions in specific colors.
              To me this would make good marketing sense. And it would get more tools sold.
              Would you buy the same tool in another color?????? It would identify it as YOURS! etc.
              You know, multiple colors for tools could let RIDGID squirm out of their "exclusivity" to Home Depot (you're still exclusive -- with the orange color). To me, that would be better with more retailers, online and brick & morter. That makes the pie bigger for all.

GoFor, you still don't get it.
              MORE=BETTER
              Phil
              Tools Rule

Comment

and oh by the way, dont forget the pink color too..

Comment

Originally posted by michael stephen
                  and oh by the way, dont forget the pink color too..
                  It would not sell...or would it???

BTW, those pink tools had some sort of Breast Cancer affiliation with them and presumably some money's went to BC research; but they were some non-brand.
                  While the jesture is a good thing, that is to aid BC research, I can't see too many would be sold because of the pink color. That kind of puts it squarely in the PeeWee Herman world of sorts.
                  (Here we go on colors again)
                  Phil
                  Tools Rule

Comment

[QUOTE=PhilG.]You guys (as usual) are missing my point on color.
                    Let me be a little more specific.
                    If you could change the color of your brand of tool; would you?

Yes and No. The only reason color is important is to distinguish that tool from others and/or find it in a mess. Auxilliary concerns might bring up proprietary branding, but that's it. I don't completely buy the physiological and pyschological response to hue, luminosity and saturation. I know that diffused patterns are more relaxing to me than hard contrasted images. The last thing I want is to be sedated while using a circular saw because the colors soothe the soul. But it wouldn't happen anyway. I do believe that colors work _to an extent_ at keeping our attention. DeWalt hits the primer with the firing pin when it comes to color. It's annoying because it's so obnoxious. Obnoxious = noticeability. The red on my faved Milwaukee tools are a bit hard to locate in a pile or from afar, but they don't make me nauseous as I work.

To answer your question directly: I would indeed purchase a different color if given the choice. I like shades of blue. It would be nice if Milwaukee made a limited editions of silver or gold or something of that nature at least. But craftsman are masters of creation...and some of that could include painting our own tools, no? However, I'd never pay more for a tool because some idiot got the idea to create additional molds and try to cover cost across the board due to experimentation with colored poly materials. It's not worth it. Paint it.
                    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

Comment

How about a nice plaid or maybe some argyle tools? OOOH! That would be swell.
                      If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.
                      -Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by binary
                        I'd never pay more for a tool because some idiot got the idea to create additional molds and try to cover cost across the board due to experimentation with colored poly materials. It's not worth it. Paint it.

Binary,
                        Actually, with injection molding, you can swap colors at a moments notice, ie - stop feeding the orange pellets to the machines and feed them red pellets. (close this valve, then open that valve) No cost to change color.

Changing paint colors - that's expensive!
                        Good example:
                        John Deere sells its stuff in JD Green. However, they do offer two different factory colors. Industrial Yellow or Community Orange either one is a $1001.00 charge to change the paint color.

I always thought that if I buffed my Milwaukee exposed aluminum areas to a hightly polished shine would look cool - especially if it were a limited edition. This would also give it a personalized look.
                        Phil
                        Tools Rule

Comment

I would also like to see a little more "thinking outside the box" on some things in the tool world. But not just on the tools, the accessories need the same type of thinking.

For example
                          the small angle grinders - I'd like to see some wood-cutting blades along with the proper guard and base system. Also, with the right arbor and blade set, one could dado with it (these already are made - in Europe they are called "wallchasers").
                          And why not make them variable speed - I sometimes find stuff to sand or grind that I don't want all that speed. (Milwaukee makes a VS grinder.)
                          Why not make a really precision base attachment system (where the guard attaches) that could give you the accuracy to install a plate joiner attachment to the angle grinder.

Miter saws - why not make the guards able to stand cutting metal, and the blades to handle that also.

I like that little Bosch electric hand saw. Now, if they'd just add some detail sanding profiles to the accessory list...and...

Come on, men, I can't think of all these good ideas alone!
                          Phil
                          Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by b375rgt
                            How about a nice plaid or maybe some argyle tools? OOOH! That would be swell.
                            How about stripes - like in the toothpaste.
                            Phil
                            Tools Rule

Comment

What would make things faster for me is a sawzall with a conduit reamer in the back end. You press the switch and then the reamer slowly turns and you only have to hold on to the pipe and it will save your wrists. mine are really sore right now....

I have seen camofloutge and teal colred tools but maybe if it had relflective strips on the sides you'd see it faster in the dark when you only see greys and blacks.

be back in a few.......

Comment

How about tools with fingerprint recognition technology so that they only work for the owner? Might save us from having some of our tools stolen. Now that would be cool.
                                If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.
                                -Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X