If You Could Change Your Power Tools...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b375rgt
    How about tools with fingerprint recognition technology so that they only work for the owner? Might save us from having some of our tools stolen. Now that would be cool.
    NOW you're talking! Built-in theft proof stuff - unfortunately, it may not happen in our lifetimes though. (I've always thought a mild shock would help to back-off those nosey enough to molest my tools while I'm not there to watch them....now just watch some lawyer say I can't have THAT)

The next beer is on me...just for the suggestion (Ummm, - - just run me a tab.)
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Comment

Hilti already has a theft proof hammer drill that will only work when you put some type of key in it.had one in for repair and hilti would not let us even service it .had to send it in,the part it needed was the module with the locking system built in they would not sell us that part.
      A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

some metabo hammer drills have an anti theft device you have to have a code or key to use the tools.
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by chic
          Hilti already has a theft proof hammer drill that will only work when you put some type of key in it.had one in for repair and hilti would not let us even service it .had to send it in,the part it needed was the module with the locking system built in they would not sell us that part.
          Yeah, I'd heard of those, and it really surprised me. (wow - security system for tools!) You can't really blame Hilti for not selling the security parts to the repair house. That's the problem with anything high security - key parts of a system must be locked down to keep the parts from getting loose in the "wild" lest they be reverse-engineered or tampered with. (do you remember those programmable cards for the satelite systems - there was - for a while - quite a black market in those; until they got their network secured)
          I'm sure those RFID gadgets that ring the bells at WalMart will be finding their way into all sorts of items in the near future. (and thereby becomes the next Achilles Heel of everything smarter than a flashlight -- Just my prediction)
          BTW, I love the IBM ad on the highway with the truckers where "the boxes called us". Sort of like LoJack...
          Phil
          Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
            some metabo hammer drills have an anti theft device you have to have a code or key to use the tools.
            You know, I freaked out last year - A Bobcat SSL showed up on one of our jobsites that started with a code or password.
            CCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL!
            Phil
            Tools Rule

Comment

Working...
            X