X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router suggustions

I'm looking to buy a fixed/plunge router combo kit. I had narrowed my decision down to the Bosch or the Porter-Cable models. Then I saw the DeWalt and I liked the fact that it had a shorter stance. I thought that might prove to be easier to handle and maneuver. I'd be using it for weekend projects and nothing too fancy although I want something to handle harder woods with ease. I'd appreciate any input or suggestions from some of you with more experience than myself.
    If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.
    -Ben Franklin

I've asked the same question and i am leaning toward Porter Cable for a few reasons. They have a good reputation and for 199 at home depot you can get the 1 3/4 HP plunge/fixed base router. I really want the 2 1/4 since when i have more time i can work with harder materials. Something to think about is how Horse power and RPM are related to the Torque.

Some equations from my class.....
    HP=6.28*RPM*ft/lbs torque
    1 HP= 746 watts
    torque=(HP*5252)/RPM
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Well, if you are thinking about the PC 890 series routers be aware of the recent recall on them (see my post from earlier this week about the recall). But all in all I think they are a good router. I have the earlier 690 series routers, one variable speed and one fixed speed, and like them. I also have a Milwaukee which is very nice. Can't speak to the DeWalt as I have never used one nor even looked them over close in the stores.

If I was buying a 1-3/4HP router now with thoughts of getting another router later with more HP to handle bigger bits or for table mounting, I would go with one of the kits like the PC 693VSR or the DeWalt (Pat Warner seems to like DeWalt routers for what that is worth). Later on I would skip the 2-1/4 and 2-1/2 HP routers and make the jump to the 3HP and up range. I don't think that extra 1/2HP is gonna make that much of a difference that it will enable you to run a big bit in the router table down a 8 or 10 foot board in some hard wood. I think you need real power for that kind of work, and that means 3HP or better to me.

I'm not saying you can't do it with a smaller router, I do with mine it is just slower going and take smaller bites.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 01-28-2006, 08:12 AM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the input. I finally opted for the DeWalt DW618PK. I've seen many good reviews for it online. It also featured a rebate for the D handle. But it really came down to it just felt better in my hands. Thanks again.
        -Ben Franklin

Comment

B375RGT,
          How do you like your Dewalt 618 now that you've had it for a bit?

Mine arrived yesterday via UPS but no time to check it out until later in the week.

Skip
          Stay well and play well.
          Skip

Comment

I haven't used it for any projects yet. I've only had it out to make some practice cuts in some scrap but I am very pleased with it. Adjustments are easy and it is comfortable to use. I think you'll like yours.
            -Ben Franklin

Comment

Grooooooan I'd been looking at the 3-base Dewalt pack for a while and was about to bite the bullet and drop my $237 -I'm a poor little college student, that's like all of my disposable income for 5 months. Anyways, was at HD and some dude was picking up the last one out of their clearance section - marked down to 125 FREAKING DOLLARS!!! I was almost physically ill - haven't been back to HD since.

Comment

If you really want one, the first thing you could do is ask them if they have any more in another location you are not aware of or maybe up high. Next if that didn't pan out I would be heading to the next nearest HD after maybe asking someone at the first store to call over and see if they had any left and maybe put one aside for you. Then I'd zip over there and pick it up ASAP.

THEN you get on the forum here and brag about the deal you got, instead of the one the got away
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Fightgar - Was that the DeWalt DW618B3?

Comment

Yes, yes it was.

Comment

Working...
                    X