Sanding Sleeves for EB4424

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding Sleeves for EB4424

I'm getting ready to buy a Ridgid EB4424 Spindle Sander at the Borg. Problem is, everything I read about this sander indicates that even though they sell the sander, the Borg doesn't stock or sell replacement sanding sleeves or belts.

So.... before I go and dump $200 on a tool that'll only be good for a month with the sleeves included, can anyone point me to where I can buy replacement paper for this thing? Or should I just go and buy the Jet?

Thanx!

I don't own a EB4424 but I would think that any make 4"x24" sanding belt should work, same for the sanding drums sleeves. As long as they are the proper size should not be any concern. Many places sell sleeves (Woodcraft, Grizzly, and many more), and many, many places like the big box stores, Sears, and probably even your local hardware stores will have 4x24" sanding belts, these belts are no different that those used on portable belt sanders, just watch that you get the belt installed with the correct orientation if the belt is omni-directional.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

hlevin, I did buy that sander last year for use when building a craps table for a friend. It works great. I have found the sanding belts at many of the places that Bob D. recommended and even at HD. However the spindle sleeves are not sold at any of my local Lowes or HD. I have found my best resource to be Rockler and they carry all the sizes in various grits in packages of 3. I am lucky enough (or not so much for my wallet! ) to live in between a Woodcraft and Rockler within a few miles and have found what I needed at both places. You can also order them online.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7788
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Thanx all! Good advice. Looks like the best places to find this stuff would be Klingspor or Grizzly, but Rockler will do for "local" if I'm up in the Cambridge, MA area.

Time to visit the orange box!

Comment

Sanding Sleeves

Guys, I can't find the replacement sanding sleeves anywhere! My new Ridgid Oscillating Spindle sander is nearing uselessness. I've found sleeves 4-1/2" in. length. Also 3" in. length. Can I use these? If anyone knows where to buy the 4 in. sleeves, please contact me at <tfb37@cox.net>.
            Thanks,
            TFB

Comment

I am considering buying the EB4424 but don't seem to be able to find the right size sleeves anywhere. I will buy another brand if someone here can't give us a readily available source. Either Home Depot should be required to carry essential accesories for the machines they sell or, more likely, Ridgid should make their machines to use sleeves that are readily available. Amazon has a listing for the sleeves, that actually come from Cummins Industrial Tools, but that isn't what I call readily available if I wear one out in the middle of the job
              Thanks,
              Jerry
              Last edited by softop41; 01-04-2007, 07:17 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Can someone that has the correct size sleeve(s) please post the inside diameter and length? I have a good feeling that a larger industrial supply house would either have stock or could order them from a major abrasives manufacturer. 3M and Norton come to mind along with several others. Please measure with care as you'll want to be sure they will properly fit. Am I correct to assume that they are like a little cylinder shape drum, or are they belts?

Comment

For those of you that have the machine....
                  I'm told by members of another forum that while it takes 4" belts, it takes 4-1/2" sleeves. Can anyone verify this?
                  Thanks,
                  Jerry

Comment

The EB4424 does not use a sleeve that large for the spindle. It only uses 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.5", & 2". I typically use the 2" sleeves, although have used the other sizes on occassion.

More info available here:
                    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Oscillat...Spindle-Sander

Comment

That is the biggest reason I won't buy that tool!!. If HD can't sell or supply the correct replacement parts to a tool they sell, then they won't get my business. Some HD stores still sell Ryobi sleeves. The Ryobi spindle sander was a good machine, but I guess HD and Ridgid in their brilliant thinking stopped carrying it. Guess maybe it was competing with the Ridgid model.

Comment

I would tend to agree on some of those points, but in the case of the sander I am able to find the replacement sleeves at many places with no problem. As far as the Ryobi sleeves, I find that to be a poor choice as I typically do not need to replace all my sleeve sizes. As I normally just use one or 2 sizes I will only need replacements for them and not a whole package at 3 or 4 times the cost of what it costs me to buy a package of 3 in the size I use.

Comment

The sleeves are 4 1/2" long. 1/2-2" diameter. get them here. http://www.supergrit.com/products/pr...umssleeves.asp
                          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

The 4" I referred to is the height of the sleeve on the spindle, not the diameter of the spindle!

Comment

Ya, I blew that one. Sorry. Put in a long week and should have known better than to try and offer advice when so tired and apparently brain dead...

If you have a Rockler near you they sell the sleeves there, although not at as quite a good of a price as the place PapaDan linked to above.

Comment

Working...
                              X