X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman Drill press?

I know this is a Ridgid forum, but I have an opportunity to buy a New 15" Craftsman Drill press for what sounds like a GOOD price. It is the 15" model with a attatched work light and the laser trac feature for about $200. (floor model) Does anyone have an opinion or experience with this model?

Thanks

Compared to their retail price that is a good price. The light and laser are just gimmicks, IMO, and add no value to the DP. I do like the fence and stop block feature. Nice to have if you're not intending to add a DP Table later. If it were me, I'd like to see it have a few more speed settings but generally the specs are good with the usual exception of Sears over stating the HP rating. My guess is it's closer to a ½ HP than the stated 1 maximum HP. All in all for $200 its not a bad deal if the public hasn't beaten it up too badly.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I agree with Dave. A few more speeds would be nicer, but for the price and what it is I would say it is a decent find. Again I would see what all the folks have done to or with it being as it was a floor model.

My father bought a Craftsman floor DP about 20 some years ago and it still runs great today.

WWS
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Looks to be in good shape, it is at a NEW Sears Essentials store. The sales person there said that it was no longer going to be carried (along with the 6" joiner & a few other things) at the Essentials store locations. The Sears web site does state the hp to be 1/2. Is that low? Would be looking to replace my Ryobi 12" bench top Dp. For my beginer woodworking needs, I would think 12 speeds to be enough? Am I wrong/overlooking something?
        Last edited by Dana G.; 02-01-2006, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Dana

For $200 I don’t think you can go wrong, it appears to have some really nice features. I for one have a light mounted right above my drill press to aid my aging eyes and the built in light would eliminate that need. I laughed at the laser the first time I saw it, but I have read many reports stating that people really like it and a recent article in a WW mag stated that it was one of the worthwhile applications for them. The 12-speeds and ½ horsepower are the same as my Ridgid and it has done everything I have asked of it so far, my only concern would be if the keyless chuck would securely hold a large Forstner bit. One minor thing to check out that was not clear by the website picture is the ease of clamping to the table, but that can always be rectified with the addition of an inexpensive aftermarket or shop made table.

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by Dana G.
            For my beginer woodworking needs, I would think 12 speeds to be enough? Am I wrong/overlooking something?
            Dana, you may find this chart useful in helping to determine if the speed settings on the Craftsman will fit your needs, http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...ry/data/85.xml
            If you're on dial-up the download time is about 2 minutes.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That’s a great chart Dave, I’ve had it hanging by a string in a protective sleeve next to my DP for some time now and reference it quite often. It appears that when they updated it they omitted the Forstner Bit heading between Brad-point and Glass-and –tile.

Woodslayer

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm waiting to see if it does, in fact go down to $200 tomorrow like the sales person told me!

Comment

Went ahead and bought the Drill press in question, $199 less A $25 gift card I had. Couldn't pass it up! With that said, I would like to sell my Ryobi 12" drill press (DP120). If anyone is interested in it, it is 2/3 years old and in like new condition. I live in the Detriot area. Any reasonable offer accepted.

Thanks

Comment

Got a email from Don O'conner asking about my drill press, Don if your out there the DP120 is still available. But you email address is not working. Try emailing me with your phone #. Or check that you sent me the correct address.

Comment

Working...
                    X