Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID Battery and Tool quality

Group Members,

I am considering purchasing a RIDGID 18V cordless power planer. I wanted to get some feedback with regards to the quality of RIDGID's tools and batteries since this will be my first purchase. One of the reason's I am inquiring about the battery quality is because I currently have a Sears 19.2V 1 1/2" cordless hand planer. I used it to plane a 24" x 3" strip of hard maple to a 1/64" depth. After completing one strip (both sides), the juice was gone. I wanted to get some opinions concerning the battery life that I can expect using RIDGID tools and maybe some comparisions with the battery life for other power tool manufacturers (e.g. BOSCH, DeWalt, Makita, etc.) so I will have a realistic expectation.

Thanks,

Marcus

I don't have either the Craftsman or the Ridgid cordless planers, but I am wondering how long you have had the Craftsman. If you just got it and your batteries are new (this would go for any cordless tool too), they will not achieve full capacity until you have charged/discharged them a couple times. Most manuals for these type of tools will tell you this in the section about charging the batteries for the first time. Once you have gone through the charge cycle a couple times, you should see longer run times. Of course if your batteries have been used and recharged a couple times, this may not apply.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The batteries on Ridgid cordless tools suffer from a less then admirable reputation, which is substantiated in several tool comparisons by various magazines. This fact is defended by many owners that claim the 20-minute charge time along with the duel charger should negate any down time due to weak/dead batteries.

Woodslayer

Comment

I have had no problems with my tools, the main reason is that i have 5 batteries. If you were to buy a Ridgid power tools set get the 5pc that has 3 batteries. I have that and love it, i also got 2 more batteries at a good deal later. The max hc batteries have a longer run time than the regular and take a bit more that 30 minutes to charge. The batteries clip into the tools in a way that you'd have to really screw up to get them to fall out.

In short my preferences are how it feels in my hand and the warranty and power. craftsman and Ridgid are made in the same factory but set to different standards. My coworkers that have craftsman tools got them since they were 100 to 200 dollars cheaper. On guy is taking his craftsman 19.2 volt drill back since he can't get the chuck to hold bits. This seams to be a problem craftsman hasn't fixed. The chucks on Ridgid drills had problems too but they have changed the chucks on all the new models.

I wonder if part of the idea behind the LSA is to see what wears out the fasted and then what lasts longer......
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

I have the cord less planer and it is great. The battery lasts plenty long enough for hanging any door I have ever done to date. It is definately worth the money.

Comment

The cordless planer looks good to me. It would also be a good way to get an extra battery.

The Ridgid site says it comes with battery and charger...

The HD site doesn't say anything about charger. Does it come with battery and charger for $99?

That would be a good deal.

Comment

If the Ridgid site says that it comes with a battery and single bay charger then it will be the same thing at home depot. there are a lot of details and items that the HD website won't mention.
              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
              X