X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 Fence Problem

Hi - I just started assembling the TS 3650 and got to the point where it the instructions go over the fence adjustment. I belive I've adjusted it properly but when sliding the fence in the unlocked position it makes a high pitched squeaking noise when going from left to right and a rubbing noise as well as the squeaking noise when moving it from right to left. Is this normal when first assembling it? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

No, it should glide smoothly across the table, almost like it was sliding on ice, at least mine does.

Can you tell where the rub point is? Most likely the table saw top which should have some marks left by the fence riding over it.

You might have an alignment problem with the rails or the wings.

Are the top surfaces of the cast iron wings flush with the table saw top?

Did you re-check the front and rear rail alignment and installation?

Is the spacer rod set up properly? In other words is the spacing correct, not too wide or narrow.

Are you sure the fence is properly seated on the rails?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Not normal

Nope, not normal. Should be perfectly silent. Sounds like the fence is rubbing on the table. Did you shim the fence with 3 or 4 or whatever sheets of paper? There should be a gap between the bottom of the fence and the table.
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

There is enough of a gap where the fence is not touching the top of the table surface. The rubbing sound is between the front fence and the fence itself. I haven't installed the spacer rod yet, haven't got that far.

Comment

Still perplexed. I've tried adjusting the back and front rail in all sorts of positions but the high pitch squeaking is still occuring. The noise is coming from the contact of the fence on the front rail. I'm guessing it may be a defective fence? The fence moves smoothly it's just the squeaking that's the problem. Any other suggestions you guys might have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

Have you installed the spacer rod yet? You should.

How about a good coat of paste wax on the rails?
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Look here;
              Parts sheet/exploded diagrams of the TS-3650 in PDF format;
              http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodw..._Sheet_eng.pdf

Page 6 shows the Rip Fence. You should have two Rip Fence Head Sliders (BOM item #24) on the underside of the rip fence head. if they are missing or damaged this could be causing the noise you are talking about.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 02-03-2006, 03:09 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Bob your link doesn't work but I think I know what parts you're talking about. My fence does have to the two white pieces of plastic which slides on the front rail. I've tried adjusting the front rail, the back rail , the fence and nothing worked so last night tried a bit of WD40 on the front rail and it seemed to have done the trick. I'm going to see if I need to adjust the fence sliders or even grind or sand them down a bit to get them to slide smoother. Thanks for your help guys. I wonder if anyone else had a similar problem.

Comment

I did not have that problem and I shouldn't think any mods to the fence/parts should be required if it is installed correctly and not defective. Once I had the fence aligned so it did not rub on the table it is smooth as glass!

WWS
                  Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

"Bob your link doesn't work..."

Try it now.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Mine squealed when I first set it up. I waxed the front rail (Johnson's paste wax) and it has worked "smooth as glass" since then. I think there may have been a bit of the preservative on the rail or plastic causing it to grab (like resin). The wax immediately solved the problem.
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Be sure you have the front rail straight and that you tightened the securement nuts from end to end as stated in the instructions. I ran into that problem and found that I had neglected to tighten one of the nuts and I had a bind at that point.

Later,
                        Chiz
                        Later,
                        Chiz

Comment

Working...
                        X