Plate Joiner Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate Joiner Question

I am getting ready to purchase a plate joiner. I have been looking at the DeWalt models. HD has a corded one for $169. I was looking at Grisslys web site and see they have it for $149 and an 18v cordless for $199. I have a 6 piece combo 18v set from DeWalt and am now sort of leaning toward the cordless one. I am just wondering if the cordless one would be up to the task for a hobbyist like me?
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Would you ever need to use it where there is no power available? If not save the 50 bucks.

Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Yup, you can buy an awful lot of biscuits for $50.

I don't know what your useage will be but based on the amount of run time mine gets I'd seriously consider buying a reconditioned unit from somewhere and save even more money.

Another unit you might want to do a little research on is the Freud JS102. It seems to get generally positive feedback from owners and IIRC goes for around $110.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

If you go with the Freud as Dave suggests get the 102 not the lower priced 100, the fence is much better on the JS102.

Here's a link to an AWW tool test from a while back;
        http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...teJointers.pdf
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I just ordered the corded model DeWalt from Grizzly. Thanks for all the input.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
          X