X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 vs. TS3650

I'm nearing the purchase of my table saw and was torn between these two models. Question for you experts is this: Are there any substantial performance differences between the two? The only real operating difference I notice is the 2400 has a higher blade speed but will it make that big of a difference in my cuts? I really like the maneuverability of the 2400 because of the area constraints of my garage but if the 3650 is a better saw, I can probably force the room. Accessories and attachments are another issue. Are they easy to come by? I've been reading the currents posts about the lack of accessories at HD and wondered if it would be difficult to get what I need. Thanks again for the help guys.
    If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.
    -Ben Franklin

b375rgt,

I have no experience with the 2400, own a 3650 but one thing that never entered my mind when I got it was whether I would like to add such as a router table to it or not. Now, I am glad to have the bigger base to enable me to do such and am in the process of adapting and older Craftsman table top to the 3650.

Also, I have a dedicated area for woodworking and do not have to contend with sharing that space with a car or the like, so that may be more important to you than my situation was.

As to accessories, you have unlimited access from the internet, assuming you are comfortable with ordering there.

Jerry
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

I find that the TS3650 is great for what I do with it and works fine in my garage. Although I do not park a car in my garage (my truck is too big) I find that I am able to move my saw out of the way with no problem and put it into the corner when I need more space for other things. I am able to situate it so that the rails on the right side hang over my workbench on the wall and everything is fine. I have no problem finding the acc. I need on the internet, with some help from this forum as well or making my own.

I agree with Jerry that it is also nice to be able to add in a router table wing and hope to start on that next month myself. I also have never owned the 2400 and really haven't any experience with it to give you a fair comparison, but I think if I was only going to be using the saw in my garage/shop and no real plans for actual protability and jobsite use I would rather have the 3650. The actual footprint between the two is not that different and I don't think any diff in blade speed woult affect your cuts.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and why. May be useful for others in the same decision process in the future.

WWS
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

My turn! My turn! LOL performance wise you would not find enough difference between them to base a decision. I have the 2400 and have had it for a few years now. Both saws use standard accessories as far as miters and such go. The 3650 can have a router wing added and has the cast iron top that is a little larger than the 2400. The 2400 is lighter and easy to move, load and go when needed. Those are the big differences in the 2 saws. There is information on this site for a router insert for the 2400. I am going to make one just as soon as I can get caught up with other projects. Instead of an add on wing it is an insert for the expanded top on the 2400. very neat and easy setup.The only decision you need to make is if you want portable or stationary.Nothing else really matters
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Now it seems I'm leaning towards the TS3650. Would one of you owners be so kind as to tell me what the assembled dimensions are? Given the lift base, I might just be able to slide it under my workbench with few modifications (to the bench that is).
          -Ben Franklin

Comment

b375rgt,

If you do a search on "3650 dimensions" you will come up with this previous thread.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...650+dimensions

Jerry
            It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

The top of my table is 36 5/8" without the lift up. The top of the splitter/blade guard is at about 41 3/4", but it is easy to remove for storage, etc. The Herc-U-Lift only raises it about 1/4".
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed. A little too big to fit under my bench but hey, that just gives me an excuse to build a new one. Thanks again.
                -Ben Franklin

Comment

b375rgt,

I'm a contractor and do woodworking as a hobbie. So I needed a TS that could be relocated to the job site for work and back to the shop for play. I recently purchased the 2400 due mainly to it's portability and price. I looked strongly at the Bosch 4000-9 but felt that the Ridgid was a better value. I was able to fine tune it within .001 and it has held true. I'm extremely happy with it and would suggest it to anyone.

Either way you go, you're getting a great TS. Both have advantages as well as disadvantages. Do a search here and on the WWW and read all you can. It really boils down to which is best for your application and wallet.

One real benefit to the 2400 is that it's completely setup right out of the box!

Comment

B375RGT,

Before you decide, you should have HD turn on for you both the 2400 and the 3650. The 2400 is very loud when running while the 3650 is whisper quiet. In the grand scheme of things, this probably isn't a big deal, particularly if you're wearing hearing protection, but it if you're like me and work out of you're garage, your neighbors' happiness might be part of the equation.

Comment

I tend to agree with WI Troy on the db level of the saws. Does help out when working out of a garage with neighbors nearby. Of course that will all go out the window for me when I get the planer and jointer......
                      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Excellent point on the sound, that was not something that I had taken into consideration and I very well should have. I'll be working out of my garage with some very close neighbors and I would certainly rather keep things friendly across the property lines.
                        -Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X