X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I smoke tested my Ryobi chopsaw..

.. while cutting some square pipe yesterday, I proved the old theorem that once you let the smoke out of the motor, it will not work properly anymore !

Sooooo, it is a Ryobi 14" C350 Type II 15 Amp and I really like the base and hold down mechanism for materials being cut, the base is cast instead of formed metal, would like to repair the motor or even better, upgrade to a bigger motor that would obviously fit right in the old motors place. I would obviously also like to not pay more for the motor than I did for the original saw!

Any one done this before and/or have suggestions about how and where to find motors ?

Jerry
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Jerry, check in the list of links I put up the other day. I know I have a couple sources for tool parts there.

Also, I think we have a forum member hwo makes aliving at that, and he may be able to provide you with the parts you need.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by steelewoodworker
      .. while cutting some square pipe yesterday, I proved the old theorem that once you let the smoke out of the motor, it will not work properly anymore Jerry
      Jerry,
      You're right about that. They can only build in sooo much smoke, n when it's gone, it's pretty much gone.

Did you at least get your money's worth out of the Ryobi before it smoked?
      Phil
      Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG.
        Did you at least get your money's worth out of the Ryobi before it smoked?
        Yep, had it for many years. The Milwaukee 6170-20 is identical to the Ryobi C356 II. They dont show the Ryobi anymore and the parts folks want $147.00+ for the field and armature. Cant win by repairing it that way. Need to find someone who has one for parts.

BTW folks, anybody ever heard of http://2good2toss.com/kitsap/index.p...52&from=search , they have a 358 for $75.00?

Jerry

Comment

home depot sold the 14'' roybi chop saw for $79.00 a little over a year ago. so i had to buy 2. i for a gift and i for ? can never have enough. try looking into the dewalt 14'' multicutter. no sparks, heat or burrs. sells for approx. $400. on ebay.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks PLUMBER RICK,

I need to come across one of those Ryobi's just like you purchased. As for the Dewalt, this chopsaw is not used that much so it is difficult to justify $400 for something I only occasionally use.

I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere that the Milwaukee 6176-20 is identical looking in pictures to the Ryobi I burned up. You have any experience with this?

Going to take a look at the Harbor Freight Chicago Electric item 44829 item today. $49 for their chopsaw. Dont really like to buy anything from Harbor that has a motor, uses air or electricity or is associated with accuracy !

Jerry

Comment

jerry, i thought that the ryobi came with a 3 year warranty? as far as the milwaukee model goes, it is ususally at h.d. for approx. $160.
              i do have a harbor freight saw that sits on a shelf too. all abrasive chop saws are for rough cutting and not precision cutting. too much flex in the abrasive wheels. the back fence is not too calibrated for anything precision. the dewalt multicutter has real blade, but still a so so fence.

i would check on ebay for a new saw. there should be plenty of chop saws in the $120-160 range. the multicutter 400.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Plumber Rick,

Here goes a second try. Was at the very end of a response last night and lost power so could not complete it. It was very frustrating because I have the computer on UPS but the monitor isnt so the response was ready to be added to the forum but without a visual aid to see where to click to actually add it.

Anyhow, as I was saying, the Ryobi is over three years old. What really caught my attention was your comment that you had one of the HF models. I went by there yesterday and looked at their 44829 as it is on sale for $49 and this would be right up my alley. Only problem was, they would not tell the amps draw on it and this is one way I try to determine if it would be strong enough for what I need. They would only say 2 HP motor and as you probably know, they can stretch the truth on that type of information.

Have you put yours thru considerable use, what is the largest item you have cut with it and could you recommend it? The largest item I would cut with it would be a channel that is 6 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches deep. I was able to cut this with the Ryobi with two passes but it stretched its capability to the ultimate.

Here is a pix of the 44829 I am talking about (for a bigger view, click on the image);

Click image for larger version

Name:	1f33b1726f692074ca014d1ce5fa7847.gif
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	100

Jerry

Comment

jerry, at $49. how can you lose? the amprage should be around 15. if thee is a fllor model display it should be on the name plate in either watts or amps.
                  amps= watts divided by volts. so 1800 watts equals 15 amps at 120 volts.

i hope the 6'' x 2.5'' channel is not solid steel if it is that's the problem. a band saw will be much better then. even the multicutter will work hard on solid stock like this.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                    jerry, at $49. how can you lose?

Well, I have purchased a few HF things before that simply didnt work and am afraid this would be abother one so there goes $49 and I still need a chopsaw!

the amprage should be around 15. if thee is a fllor model display it should be on the name plate in either watts or amps.

..and that was what I looked for but all it said was "about 2 horse power motor! Not very assuring. 3/4 HP motor is about 2!

amps= watts divided by volts. so 1800 watts equals 15 amps at 120 volts.

i hope the 6'' x 2.5'' channel is not solid steel

It isnt, some 1/2 inches near the junction of the leg and the web
                    ...and as Lorax would say, "10 characters"

Jerry

Comment

10 characters

...and as Lorax would say, "10 characters"

Jerry
                      I was wondering when someone would comment on that.
                      Not bad for a Southern boy.
                      Lorax
                      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Lorax,

That was my first time commenting in the quote window as you have done many times, and when I started adding text because the system would not accept it without at least the 10 characters, each time I would hit the space bar, the system would activate the "Preview Post" button. Did the same thing happen to you and if yes, have you notified Josh?

Jerry

Comment

Don't want to make anyone mad but if its only worth 49 dollars new I would probably pass on it. if your channel stressed the the last tool then a cheapo for under 50 bucks probably will be a waste. MHO
                          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Response to Jerry

Lorax,

That was my first time commenting in the quote window as you have done many times, and when I started adding text because the system would not accept it without at least the 10 characters, each time I would hit the space bar, the system would activate the "Preview Post" button. Did the same thing happen to you and if yes, have you notified Josh?

Jerry
                            Don't recall it happening to me. I assume (ruh-roh) that Josh will see your response.
                            Lorax
                            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
                            X