X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nails for Air Nailers

I'm about to buy my first air nailer and I wanted to know if the nails are brand specific. For instance, will a Ridgid air nailer only work with Ridgid nails, or are the nails generic?

The nails are generic, but you must use the correct type/size for the particular nailer (for instance, I don't believe you can use full-head nails on a framing nailer, if it is designed to use split-head nails). Heck, my local HD doesn't carry Ridgid nails (does Ridgid make nails?), so you'd be sort of hard up if your nailer had to be "brand specific". Check the instructions with your nailer or get specifics for the nailer you are intending to purchase.

CWS

Comment

I agree with CWS. I have not seen a nailer be brand specific for nails and many folks who manufacture nailers do not make nails themselves. I also have never seen Ridgid brand nails (but then again, there are many things in this world I have yet to see so I won't say they definately do not exist!). I'm still keeping a curious eye out for those mysterious Ridgid screwdrivers......

WWS
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

My PC came with a guide telling what other brands and models of nails would fit it.

I would also echo CWSmith's comments about not all framing nails fitting all framing nailers too.

With some nailers, length can be an issue. My PC crown stapler will not accept some long Bostich staples I came across.

Jerry
        It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Not 100% sure about this but I think some of the Bostick guns have a little problem with other brands of nails.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Bostichs staples are 7/32 where Porter Cables are 1/4" The PC staples fit into many other brands. With the finish nailers there are 15 guage angled nails for Senco or 16 guage straight nails for mostly everything else. HD carries mostly PC nails, brads and staples, and they fit 90% of the guns out there.

DeWalts new cordless finish nail though is an oddball to me and luckily we didnt get enough of them in at my store to have too much demand for nails for them since no one in the store knows what works

Comment

Originally posted by RichM28
              I'm about to buy my first air nailer and I wanted to know if the nails are brand specific. For instance, will a Ridgid air nailer only work with Ridgid nails, or are the nails generic?
              RichM28,
              The Porter-Cable nails, in my experience, have worked flawlessly in the Ridgid nailers. And, they are pretty good quality nails, along with being available all over the place.
              Phil
              Tools Rule

Comment

There should be a sheet in the store that shows what nails will work for Ridgid guns.

Framing nailers have three basic types of guns.

1 Plastic colated nails mostly used for Bostich guns but a few others too.

2 Wire weld colated nails (also mostly Bostich) but some others as well.

3 Paper tape, these are the most common nails used.

you need to look at the gun to see if it shoots a Clipped head(D-head) or a full head.

Some companies are working on a gun that will shoot both. The Paslode cordless Framer will shoot both.The reason behind this is that in certain parts of the country( Florida and all along the Gulf Coast) it is required to use a full head nail. They are said to hold better in high wind areas.

HD carries two Bostich guns( N88RH round head plastic collated and N88WW wire weld nail) So be sure to look at what nails it uses before you buy.

Hope this helps.
                Jeff

Comment

i have the cordless pasload framing nailer and i never knew it could shoot both types of nails and i am new in florida and you are right only full rounds are alowed are you sure it will shoot full round nails i hare to think i have a tool in a area that is no good
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
                    i have the cordless pasload framing nailer and i never knew it could shoot both types of nails and i am new in florida and you are right only full rounds are alowed are you sure it will shoot full round nails i hare to think i have a tool in a area that is no good
                    You know, it would be nice if the retailers did their part and only sell what meets code in their area. Of course, it is still up to the end user to utilize what meets code.
                    Better yet, just drop the clipped head design. A full, round headed nail is a better fastener.
                    Phil
                    Tools Rule

Comment

THey are generic but some brands dont work so hot in some nailers even if they say they are the right type.Bostitch is fairly reliable all round as is p.c. but watch for the cheaper ones if you are doing anything of great volume quickly as I have found one or two brands that jam up.
                      P.S>i have been told rigid makes nails for you guys down south but have never seen them myself.

Comment

Re: Nails for Air Nailers

If my Nailer has a 33 degree magazine, can it accept just 33 degree nails(paper colated)? or other angles as well?
                        Thanks,
                        Steve

Comment

It will take 33deg nails only.

Comment

Does anyone know of a good nail source chain or online?
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by RichM28 View Post
                              the ridgid nailers come with a brand guide inside

Comment

Working...
                              X