X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about jointer blades

I currently have the Sears Craftsman 6 1/8 benchtop jointer the one they sell for $250 (picked it up for $120 used). I'm planning to upgrade to the ridgid jointer but just not yet. I was running a board through it and the knives got nicked because of an imbedded stable I didn't see. Now that part of the blade generates a thin raised line everytime I run a board through the jointer. Is it possible to file or resharpen the knives or would I have to buy a new set of knives. Thanks.

Yes, you should be able to have them sharpened. There is a saw sharpening place near where I live and I have had hand planes and hand saws and circular saw blades sharpened before by them.

This may help;

http://www.cmtusa.com/store/searchde...rocess=sawshop

Jerry
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

How much do you think they normally charge to sharpen two 6 1/8 inch jointer blades? I checked the sears website and they have sets of new blades for 14.99.

Comment

I do not really remember, but I believe it was less than $20 for the three items I had sharpened.

If you need the exact price, I can call them Monday. Just let me know.

Jerry
        It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Originally posted by steelewoodworker
          I do not really remember, but I believe it was less than $20 for the three items I had sharpened.

If you need the exact price, I can call them Monday. Just let me know.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry but it's not necessary. I'll probably just buy a new set of knives for now.

Comment

Sears or Larger?

Ryan,
            I'm looking to get a jointer in my shop, but I really don't need a full-size model. I'm wondering if a bench-top model would be good enough for small projects.

What are your experiences with this model? Would you recommend it for someone who needs a jointer just for small projects?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X