• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which random orbit sander?

Hi again.

Was wondering of which random orbit sander to get

The Dewalt 421 or the ridgid R2600?

the ridgid is .97 more then the dewalt.
    Last edited by Reef12; 02-16-2006, 11:05 AM.
    Not responsible for speeling mistakes
    Jeff

Myself, I would go with one that can be easily connected to a shop-vac or dust collection of some kind. As far Brand...........I think any Quality Name Brand will do.

Comment

If you've already ruled out the Poeter-Cable 333 or the 333VS then my choice would be the Ridgid over the DW. the Ridgid would be easier to hook-up to a small shop vac with an 1¼" hose than the DeWalt would. I could be mistaken here but it appears to me that the DeWalt will only accept a 2½" hose but the Ridgid will accept both a 2½" and an 1¼" hose. Most of the professional moesl of ROS's are fairly close when it comes to performance levels so whichever on you choose it should serve you well.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If you really feel you need the 6-inch ROS, I'd go with the Ridgid model. I believe it is made by Metalbo in Germany and from what I've read, it has received very good reviews. Probably the deciding factor, for me anyway, is the warranty; the Ridgid warranty is 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee, 3-year full warranty, and, with registration, a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. The latter will take care of the tool, forever... including wear parts like bearings, brushes, motor winding, backing pad, whatever.

CWS

Comment

I've had a Dewalt 420 ROS for about eight years. I decided to upgrade it to the 421 (only difference is the vacuum). Bought the clamshell shroud, dust bag and 8-hole pad for 25.50 straight from DeWalt. (only took three days for delivery!). When you take off the bag, you can hook up a 1", 1 3/8" or 2 1/4" inside diameter hose straight to it. For my 2" hose, I use the Male/Male connector. However most of the time I use my 1 1/4" hose. To do this I bought 1 foot of clear plastic 1" ID tubing ($1.56) . It fits snug on the sander and slides snugly into the end of my 1 1/4" shop-vac hose. works very well with the vacuum (No discernible dust, which I can tell because it doesn't even collect on my glasses). The vacuum is almost too good. With a PSA pad and 320 grit paper, it pulls so well that it actually slows the sander a little.
          That said, if I buy another (when this one finally gives up) I will probably look for one with variable speeds.
          Realize that the DeWalt 421 has a 5" 8 hole pad, so check availability of paper in your area. It comes with a hook-n-loop pad, but you can get a PSA pad (costs $21, more than double the H&L pad which is $10 if bought separately. You can also get a "Hard" H&L pad, but it comes with a medium).
          Last edited by Gofor; 02-16-2006, 08:18 PM.
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for replies.

I have heard some bad things about the Ridgid one.

I am thinking maybe the Dewalt,but then again that sliding switch on the Ridgid looks good.

Not spending $139.00 for a Random orbit sander.

Not electric anyway

Both sell for $69.00 at HD with my credit returns only have to drop $20.00 plus.

Badger I use to have a PC did not really like it that much.

What I really want is the air one but can't see dropping $130.00 plus on it and running the air compressor to boot.

Wife already saying electric has gone up $40.00 since I started back into WW

But honey it keeps me home instead of the Gun range

Thanks Gofor the ridgid does have adjustment in speed

Goosh I do like them both
            Not responsible for speeling mistakes
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Reef12
              Hi again.

Was wondering of which random orbit sander to get

The Dewalt 421 or the ridgid R2600?

the ridgid is .97 more then the dewalt.
              Most RO sanders are so very close in their features, look into their dust collection capabilities and make your choice based on that.
              I don't think either of these is a bad choice.
              Phil
              Tools Rule

Comment

Working...
              X