Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Wood cutting blade for 4 1/2" hand held grinder?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood cutting blade for 4 1/2" hand held grinder?

I know I've seen some guys with carbide tipped wood cutting blades on their makita 4 1/2 inch grinders. I've been looking for one online but couldn't find any carbide tipped wood cutting blades that would fit the grinder. The arbor size of 5/8 does not exist in my search. Can anyone tell me what blade will work. I checked my grinder and the arbor can take anything with a 16mm(5/8) cutout or a 22.23mm cutout. Thanks!

Not sure if you are looking for carving or a more traditional 'saw blade'.
    These are more designed for carving
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...4&p=42527&ap=1

Comment

Thanks wbrooks, but I was looking for more of a traditional wood cutting blade.

Comment

If I understand you, you're planning on putting a toothed cutting blade on an angle grinder. Sounds like a dangerous set-up to me. Too hard to control any kick back. Also, if you do it, make sure any blade you use is rated for more than the grinder rpm, or those teeth may be imbedded in body parts.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I see a lot of guys using these as jamb saws, there are some jamb saws on amazon which are nothing more than grinders with a carbide tipped blade.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Comment

Bosch makes a jamb saw $99 bucks at lowes its called a flush cut/ fine cut.
            Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

Ryan, those jam saws have a larger blade and a fence system that allows you to control the cut height. If you are hell bent on a 4.5" carbide saw blade (personally I think its dangerous) I would look for a replacement blade for a biscuit jointer or plate jointer.

Comment

You might check out the Craftsman Twin-Blade Cutter.
                this thing will eat through all sorts of stuff - with no kickback. It is based on a 4 1/2" grinder, but the blades are 6 1/8".
                Unfortunately, it's not on the Sears site no more, but you will find plenty on Ebay.
                Phil
                Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG.
                  You might check out the Craftsman Twin-Blade Cutter.
                  this thing will eat through all sorts of stuff - with no kickback. It is based on a 4 1/2" grinder, but the blades are 6 1/8".
                  Unfortunately, it's not on the Sears site no more, but you will find plenty on Ebay.
                  philg, good reason why it's not on sears site. i tryed to demo 2 of them at at local sears. plugged them in and the blades and motor were smoking. the blades were too close to eachother. the principal behind this saw was that the 2 opposing blades spun oppisite rotation of eachother. good theory, but didn't work. i eventually bought 1 and used it 1 time. watch for it on ebay.

the blades that i've seen for the 4.5'' grinder were based on a chainsaw style blade. as far as a carbide tipped blade goes, no problem finding a small carbide blade. problem is the 10,000 rpm. i found a removable adjustable depth guide to fit my 4.5'' grinder. sort of looks like a cut off saw now. this gave me a way to adjust the depth of cut for precision work on tile walls. now i use an mk tile handheld tile saw. it's a small high speed diamond circ. saw that i use wet or dry.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X