X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To return or not Return?

First off, thanks to the operators for a great forum.

Second, the short version of the story is this. On Monday, (yesterday) I purchased a new 3650 table saw, 10" miter saw, and a 15 ga. angle finish nailer. All Ridgid brand.

I paid something like $199.99 for the angle nail gun, and 190.00 for the mitre saw. I just left another Home Depot store and saw a kit with the same mitre saw and a "straight" 16ga. finish nailer for $250.00.

My question is this: Should I return the two I purchased and get the kit and pocket $150.00? the only difference is the nail gun. I dont do much trim work such as crown and residential finish so I am not sure the angled gun will be much of a advantage to me. mabey so...

Thats why I ask, is it worth the $150.00 extra to have the angled 15ga. gun.

Regards,

David. G

I've hung 4" crown moulding by myself with a straight 16g finish nailer, no problems. I don't use the nailer on a daily basis, but when I have used it I've never felt handicapped by its design - I suppose you just have to decide whether you need an angled gun.
    In my extremely humble opinion, you shouldn't even think twice about it - return those things and pocket the change. If you're as close to HD as I am, it will take you 10 minutes to drive there, 5 minutes to deal with their poorly trained sales staff (although it's over an hour if you are picking up something you ordered) and 10 minutes to drive back - that's $150 for 25 minutes of work - over $300 an hour.

Comment

Go for it
      I bought the last one here at 200.00 since they put it on clearance. now it's 197 for the miter saw alone! Glad the wife let me get that deal!!!!!!!
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

I can't speak for the advantages of the angle gun over the straight, at least not from the point of view of being in tight enough spots where the extra $$ would make it worth it for me. I'd return the individual tools and buy the "combo". Just be aware that with the combo, you don't get the 1,000 nails ($10?) or the case for the gun.

Now, just so you don't get too overjoyed , by the opportunity to save $150... I bought that combo back at the beginning of the year for $175! (Well, actually bought it in December for $200, and got another $25 off in early January when the local store had it marked down.)

CWS

Comment

I would return it if I were you. I already have a 16g straight finish nailer (PC) and a delta 10" mitre saw but ran across the same combo just a few minutes ago at HD but it was on sale for 199. I had a coupon for 20% off which would bring the price down to 160 for the combo. As you can see I don't need another finish nailer or mitre saw but couldn't pass up on the deal so I picked up the combo set. I figure I'll leave it in the box until I figure out what to do.

Comment

thanks guys,

I will be returning the individual items, less the table saw of course.

I wish I could find one for $200.00 like I am hearing aobut. heck, thats like getting one of the items for free compared to individual pricing.

Thanks again.

Comment

I don't quite understand where the miter saw fits into this equation but how about returning only the nailer. Then, if you happen to have a Harbor Freight store nearby you could buy one of their small compressors for around $72 with a 20% off coupon and their 15ga angled nailer for around $64 with another 20% off coupon. That way, you end up with a TS, CMS, 15ga nailer and a compressor for less money then you've already spent.

FWIW, forget my suggestion about buying the HF stuff if you plan on using the nailer and compressor on a daily basis. If, on the other hand, you only intend to use them every now and again they should be just fine.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I already have compressors, stationary and portable. A lot of my tools were stolen a short time ago adn since they couldnt load the table saw, they decided to take a sledge hammer to it. Almost cried when I saw it.

Anyway, I need the mitre saw and a finish nail gun to replace the ones that were stolen. I was just wondering about the straight nailer.

I exchanged it yesterday and purchased a freud 8" dado set and a 10" Ridgid 90tpi blade for the table saw. I only paid an additional 20 bucks and got the dado set adn blade. pretty sweet deal.

Regards,

Comment

My mistake, when I read your initial post and you mentioned finding a combo unit my feeble mind automatically registered nailer/compressor combo.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit
                    thanks guys,

I will be returning the individual items, less the table saw of course.

I wish I could find one for $200.00 like I am hearing aobut. heck, thats like getting one of the items for free compared to individual pricing.

Thanks again.
                    It will ring up at $200, not $250, regardless of what it's labeled as.
                    I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

Working...
                    X