Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

What's the best way of applying wall texture?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way of applying wall texture?

I currently only need to do patch work, but eventually I'm going to be doing some new drywall too, so I need to be able to do a whole room at a time, so I'm not bothering with the spray cans.
    I was thinking about getting one of those texture guns that hooks up to a compressor, where you invert the hopper on top. HD only sells one, and it's like $50 - should I be looking elsewhere or at other devices? I know Magnum/Graco has a standalone unit, but it's like $500 or something.

Could rent one.

As they say you can rent one but for $50.00 might be better to buy for the future.

I guess this is your call.

As the cans are like $12.00 a piece for the large knock down stuff but

worked real good when I redid my late fathers house.
    Not responsible for speeling mistakes
    Jeff

Comment

If you own a compressor a hopper gun is all you will need.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I use the hopper gun connected to an air compressor and it works great for me. Really is cheaper than renting (unless you don't own a compressor!) and is quick and easy.

WWS
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

UPDATE:

I have since used the hopper gun with my compressor and, after some practice, was AMAZED at the results. I'm pro now!

At first I was getting discouraged because it seemed to be taking FOREVER for the texture to dry after it was sprayed - I kept thinking that I was spraying wrong somehow because no matter how I wiped down, the texture "melted" together leaving no discernible pattern. I used so much knockdown that I went back to HD and bought some more - still premixed, but this time in a big bucket instead of the little ready-filled hoppers.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Before the texture went on like a handful of spit (gross); the new pre-mix came in a consistency equal to that of drywall mud. I *barely* thinned it - maybe a half cup of water to a full hopper - and the results were terrific. My dad's a painter and my uncle's a drywaller, so I've seen my share of pro textures, and I did a pro texture job. It was awesome. Give me a cookie.

EDIT: By the way, an empty hopper (slightly larger than the pre-filled, with an extra-wide mouth) and a 13.6 liter box/sack of pre-mixed texure cost less than two 2.2 liter pre-filled hoppers - if you're doing more than one small bedroom, it's definitely a better idea to fill your own hopper.
          Last edited by Fightgar; 04-08-2006, 04:34 AM.

Comment

I bought one of those black plastic guns that take the pre-mixed hoppers from HD and ran back to return it when I seen the Spraying Mantis at Lowes for about the same price. BIG difference in quality.

Comment

Wow right after I sprayed the texture, I was at HD and saw that they had a 'pro' grade sprayer, stainless steel parts, for just like $20 more.
              I just started working at Lowe's this week; I'm going to check that out.

Comment

Working...
              X