X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts2400 90deg stop screw question

Hey all. I'm new here and to woodworking in general (learning and loving it). I just purchased a ts2400 after first buying a cheap Ryobi and realizing that it just wouldn't cut it (pun intended). While setting up my new machine I realized the blade wasn't quite square to the table. Following the directions for alignment was straight forward and I could get the blade square, but when I would tighten the set screw down, it would move the blade out of alignment. Am I only supposed to tighten it down until I feel a bit of resistance? Thanks for any advice in advance.
    One other thing, the throat plate does not seem to have any kind of spring/clamp on the rear side to hold it place and when I tighten that screw down it pushes the rear side up. If I don't tighten down, it seems it would rattle like crazy. Any thoughts? Is this normal?
    Anyway, sorry for the long first post and thanks again.

Re: ts2400 90deg stop screw question

I am new also as you can see by my member date.

I had the same question about the stop screw. I actually got under my saw with a thin sheet of paper and had my wife adjust the allen wrench slowly until the sheet of paper was pinched and couldn't be removed.

As for the insert, I ran into the same eact issue - especially since the manual says to engage the tab of the insert into the spring clip. I called Ridgid Technical Support and they informed me that there is not supposed to be a spring clip ther and that you should only adjust it down until the screw barely touches the insert.

My thoughts are to put a piece of foam, or similar material, on top of the tab on the rear of the insert which would then push up against the under side of the table thereby effectively pushing the insert down into its recess. That way I can now use my set screws to adjust the insert left/right and front/rear.

Take this for what it may be worth as I have not even turned my saw on yet. I am having problems keeping the extension table parallel with the main table with all bolts tightened down. I am also having difficulties getting my front and rear rip fence rails to raise enough to maintain the "8 pages of the manual" distance above the top of the table surface.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Comment

Hey pecs, P diddy, I'm new too

pecs by "set screw" I think you're refering the "elevation lock knob"...
      I had a similar problem.

I think what you may need to do is adjust your bevel lock.

Page 32 TS2400 manual;

Adjusting Bevel Lock
      1. Release blade tilt lock lever and bevel
      blade to 45°.
      2. Lock blade tilt lock lever, push in to disengage
      the outer hub of the elevation/
      bevel handwheel and with moderate
      force attempt to move handwheel
      toward the 0° bevel.
      3. If blade tilt mechanism cannot be
      moved, no additional adjustment is necessary.
      4. If blade tilt mechanism can be moved
      adjust the blade tilt lock nut by rotating
      clockwise 1/4 turn.
      5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 as necessary.
      6. Release hub of the elevation/bevel
      handwheel and move blade tilt mechanism
      back to 0°.

See diagram on that page.

I think when you tighten the elevation knob it is dragging the bevel wheel a bit because it's not fully disengaged. Ajusting the bevel lock as per instructions so the wheel is fully disengaged when it's pushed in should resolve your problem, it did for me

The elevation lock knob should just be tight enough to prevent movement of the mechanism while the saw is running.

As far as the insert goes "Do not tighten screw to the point where it will deflect the insert." page 30 of manual. As an aside this manual is a bit out of date because springs are no longer used to hold inserts in. They now employ the cast in tab to prevent accidental lifting of the insert. It doesn't have to touch anything it's only there for liability issues
      The main thing is that the insert is made flush with the table by using the four set screws to raise or lower that location and that the hold down screw is just "tight".

P Diddy I think the guides instrutions for adjusting the fence rails and extension table are maybe a bit confusing.
      Basically you want to adjust the front rail first on the "main" table first, both left and right hand side of "main" table as per instructions. Then repeat for the rear rail, both left and right hand side of "main" table as per instructions. Then once the fence has been adjusted to the proper clearance over the "main" table by adjusting the guide rails you can unlock the sliding table lever and repeat the process for the surface of the sliding table starting by making the closest edge flush with the main table. You should then be able to slide the fence over to the farthest edge and adjust to 8 pages as per the instructions. Hopefully that will do it for you

Good luck you guys and I hope you enjoy your new TS2400's as much as I do
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Well thanks for your help and insight jbergstrom, but after returning the first and having the same issues with the second (also having the main table crown from front to rear - fence drags in middle of table) I have returned the saw and am on my way to buying the Bosch.

Good luck to everyone and thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by P Diddy View Post
          Well thanks for your help and insight jbergstrom, but after returning the first and having the same issues with the second (also having the main table crown from front to rear - fence drags in middle of table) I have returned the saw and am on my way to buying the Bosch.

Good luck to everyone and thanks!
          Sorry to hear that P Diddy

Sounds like a bad batch of castings

I guess I got lucky with mine

I had my choices down to the Ridgid and the Bosch, nearly went with the Bosch - lots of good reviews, ditto the TS2400.

I went with the Ridgid because I liked the cart a bit better and it was $100.00 bucks cheaper

Good luck with the Bosch. Let us know how it turns out.
          Cheers! - Jim
          -------------
          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
          X