Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
18v Ridgid drill keyless chuck question Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Canadave, I have the 18V and it never looses a bit even when I set it to hammer and drill for many tapcons.
    The chuck is a locking ratcheting chuck (with carbide teeth) so you give it the initial turn and there is a loud click that is the lock engaging then you hold the chuck and pull the trigger it will tighten a bit more. To check if this part of the chuck is working you need to use both hands, hold the silver ring (part of chuck closest to the drill) in one hand and then twist the black part. You should hear 3 to 4 (quieter than the lock) clicks as the chuck ratchets tight on the bit. If you dont hear those extra clicks the chuck is broke

    Comment


    • #17
      [QUOTE=Lorax]
      Originally posted by canadave
      Oh, I see what you're saying now. The thing is, though, I see bit slippage even at high torque settings like 22. quote]

      Do you have it set at 22 when you are holding the chuck to tighten it, or just when you are running it?
      I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt and very seldom have a bit slip.

      What kind of chuck is on your craftsman drill? I had a co worker take his back since it wouldn't hold a bit down. All the others i have seen don't have a ratcheting chuck.


      If it's not all metal carbide tipped it's crap

      So canadave have you got it sorted out yet?
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by wbrooks
        Canadave, I have the 18V and it never looses a bit even when I set it to hammer and drill for many tapcons.
        The chuck is a locking ratcheting chuck (with carbide teeth) so you give it the initial turn and there is a loud click that is the lock engaging then you hold the chuck and pull the trigger it will tighten a bit more. To check if this part of the chuck is working you need to use both hands, hold the silver ring (part of chuck closest to the drill) in one hand and then twist the black part. You should hear 3 to 4 (quieter than the lock) clicks as the chuck ratchets tight on the bit. If you dont hear those extra clicks the chuck is broke
        OK, now I'm confused. I think we're onto something here though.

        Here's how I've been inserting/tightening my bits:

        1. I insert a bit loosely into the jaws of the chuck, then I hand-rotate the chuck to tighten the jaws to the point where the bit is being gripped tightly by the chuck's jaws.
        2. At that point, I keep turning the chuck in the counter-clockwise direction until I hear a few soft clicks (almost like securing the gas tank cap on a car).

        Now, I just tried something different. Instead of stopping there, I kept tightening the chuck it as far as it could go. The soft clicks got closer and closer together, and then I couldn't physically turn it by hand any further. When I tried to loosen the chuck with my hand, I heard a solid THWOCK of something unlocking.

        Is THAT what I'm supposed to be doing??? Have I just not been turning the chuck far enough? When I loosened the chuck at that point, it sounded like I was going to break the chuck off the spindle. Is that really how it's supposed to be done?

        Incidentally, Wayne, I'm not sure which 18V you have, but mine doesn't have a silver ring on the chuck...the only silver area of the chuck is at the nose, where the chuck tapers toward the actual bit teeth from the main cylinder of the chuck.

        Dave
        Last edited by canadave; 03-01-2006, 01:09 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          It is normal to hear a snapping or "metallic pop" noise. when you tighten it down you hear several small clicks and a pop then you loosen it and hear just the "pop".

          Some versions have a single sleeve chuck and others have the Jacobs 700 series.
          http://www.jacobschuck.com/product_details.asp?pid=32
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
            It is normal to hear a snapping or "metallic pop" noise. when you tighten it down you hear several small clicks and a pop then you loosen it and hear just the "pop".

            Some versions have a single sleeve chuck and others have the Jacobs 700 series.
            http://www.jacobschuck.com/product_details.asp?pid=32
            Oh, OK...well, that probably explains it! I was only tightening it until I heard a couple of small clicks...at that point, I figured it was tightened. I guess not! Thanks for helping me figure that out, it was driving me crazy....

            p.s. the chuck on my 18V R84001 is a Jacobs 510. I think Wayne was talking about the Ridgid hammerdrill, which is a horse of a different colour.

            Dave
            Last edited by canadave; 03-01-2006, 01:50 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Mine is the R841150 with the Jacobs 700 series. So does the bit stay in now that you tighten it more?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by canadave

                Here's how I've been inserting/tightening my bits:
                1. I insert a bit loosely into the jaws of the chuck, then I hand-rotate the chuck to tighten the jaws to the point where the bit is being gripped tightly by the chuck's jaws.
                2. At that point, I keep turning the chuck in the counter-clockwise direction until I hear a few soft clicks (almost like securing the gas tank cap on a car).
                Now, I just tried something different. Instead of stopping there, I kept tightening the chuck it as far as it could go. The soft clicks got closer and closer together, and then I couldn't physically turn it by hand any further.
                Is THAT what I'm supposed to be doing??? Yes, but don't stop there! Now set the torque to 10. Put the drill in forward. Grip the chuck tightly in your left hand. Now pull the trigger for a second. Repeat, increasing the torque setting until you find the setting that you can just barely hang on to. Now the freakin' thing is tight!!
                Have I just not been turning the chuck far enough? YES!!
                When I loosened the chuck at that point, it sounded like I was going to break the chuck off the spindle. Is that really how it's supposed to be done?
                Dave
                10 characters
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

                Comment

                Working...
                X