No announcement yet.

ridgid router combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok obviously no one's had a lot of experience using the Rigid, but just going by numbers, reputation and product reviews (if any), is there a clear or even mostly clear winner between this Ridgid twin pack and the Dewalt 3-base combo? I'm thinking about pickup up one of them in the very near future (this weekend probably) and I'm having trouble deciding between Ridgid's LSA and Dewalt's D-handle base - can anyone help sway me?

Comment

FightGar,

The Ridgid was just released this past week, so I doubt if anyone here has had much of chance to buy it and put to work. About the only thing that I can offer is to go take a look at both the DeWalt and the new Ridgid, and see which one "speaks to you" better.

CWS

Comment

Ridgid router combo

Last night I seen one for sale on E Bay. I went and looked through the power tools listing and didn't find it. But seen all the replys, and read the review. The combo pack looks pretty good. Can't wait to see it up close, and be able to see how it feels in the hand.
        Life is like drywall, if you make a mistake, use extra mud.

Comment

got one

Picked one up Sunday night in Syracuse,NY. So far I've only used it for a short round-over pass on a shelf.
          Seems all it's advertised to be. 1/4 and 1/2 collets,no guide bars though. The bag is ok I guess, I personally like hard cases better, but the bag is easier to pack.
          From what I've heard and read the last month or so while getting ready to buy one of these combos,(all brands) the common defect most folks experience is with the speed control burning out. So it was interesting to see that referenced in the owner manual about avoid running at reduced speed for extended periods to prevent this from happening. I was all set to buy the Bosch until I heard about this one. I feel it's a little nicer, time will tell if it holds up and wheather the Depot or Ridgid will stand behind it.
          Just thought I'd pass this on.
          - Tim
          Last edited by weels; 03-14-2006, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Heres a link to the product on our website.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Heavy-Du...ombo/index.htm

Just put it up.

Josh

Comment

Hey Josh,

Do you have a larger product photo? Kinda tough to see much detail in that small pic.

Also, can anyone say if the top of the motor is flat so you can invert it when changing bits or making adjustments? I have found this to be useful on my PC, Milwaukee, and my old Craftsman router.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Holy crap, Lifetime Warranty? Can anyone confirm this? Like, not just a LSA but an honest-to-goodness Lifetime Warranty?

EDIT: Read Josh's link to see what I saw.

Comment

Bob

I think I remember that original woodworkers journal preview stating that it does indeed have a flat top, but I can’t swear to it. I know what you mean, it’s those little features that really make a tool more enjoyable to use

Woodslayer

Comment

Fightgar

My guess would be that they mistakenly placed the wrong warranty info on the site, towards the bottom it reads Ridgid/Emerson with a date of 2003. But hopefully I’m wrong and it is a lifetime warranty.

Woodslayer

Comment

Bob, it does indeed have a flat top that is meant to be used for inverting as it has 3 rubber pads on top to keep it from marking up your work or skidding around.
                      - Tim

Comment

According to the Wood Workers Journal review ( http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ez...oolpreview.cfm ) the top is flat. I don't know about the "Full Lifetime Warranty" issue. Certainly that's what the product page says, but we all know how the occasional typo and erroneous-link thing happens. The link actually shows the Ridgid/Emerson logo and a 2003 copyright date, so we may presume that this is an error.
                        http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/lifetime_warranty.pdf

EDIT: I noted that the original link was to the current review page and obviously this must change (I tried the original link and got the Rockler "Variable Angle Clamp"... so, I just changed it to the archive link, which works properly.

CWS
                        Last edited by CWSmith; 03-16-2006, 12:09 AM.

Comment

3 yr. warranty

The box states 3 year warranty. Of course the LSA applies.

Josh - you might put the photo of the combo kit on the corded power tools index page (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Corded-P...ools/index.htm). I think it might help navigation to the tool.

I'll try to give the router a work out next week and post my thoughts on the tool.

Comment

Sorry guys. in the rush to get it up I overlooked the warranty Icon. Its the same as all the other Orange Tools. Its fixed now.

Josh

Comment

I'll try and get ahold of some more shots for you guys.

Comment

Josh,

If you can send each of us one of those router sets, I'm sure we can provide you all the photos the forum will every need!

CWS

Comment

Working...
                                X