X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid router combo

in the wood workers journal e-zine there is an article about the new ridgid router combo both a fixed base & plunge base even has led lights in the work area.. sounds pretty good at about 199 should be in the depot in march

Thanks Ron,

I also just read the brief review on the upcoming R2930 two-base router.
    ( http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/toolpreview.cfm )

EDIT: I just noticed that the above link goes to the current "Toolpreview" page which contents change periodically. Here is the link to the R2930 review which is now archived: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ez...oolpreview.cfm

Sounds like it might be a nice set and I'd like to see a more in-depth review of it somewhere. Hopefully that will get published somewhere in the not to distant future.

I think the LED lights may be a nice feature, as I had a light on an older Craftsman router that I had and I found it helpful at times. Similarly, I think the T-handle adjustment capability, when used on a router table, will be handy. I wonder what kind of collet design they are going to use and whether it will be as good as the Milwaukie or Porter-Cable routers. Similarly, it would be nice if the base will be more in tune with the almost-standard PC-type guides. I guess we'll have to wait and see how long it takes to get these on the shelves.

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 03-15-2006, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Looks like a very nice addition to the Ridgid line.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I hope it's good, but I hope more that it ends up making the dewalt 3-base pack a little cheaper *crosses fingers*

Comment

Lights? The verdict is still out on this one.
          12’ cord, Nice.
          Standard chip shield, Nice.
          Spindle Lock and two better-made wrenches, Nice.
          Standard vacuum adapters, Very Nice.
          Above the table adjustment with included T-wrench, Excellent.
          Groovy carrying bag, how many people transport their router out of their shop?
          What do you suppose the long bar mechanism on the left-hand side of the fixed base is, some type of cam locking device?

Woodslayer

Comment

Lokks sweet !

Just my luck I just purchased a new 1/2 router.

Now I have to hide a new Ridgid router box from the wife....damn !

Glenn

Comment

Sighting in Oceanside CA!

It must have just got in because there were 2 boxes sitting on the ground and I didn't see a place on the shelf for them either. It's a slick looking router combo.

Comment

Dang... I just bought a bosch router combo just about a month ago... I might return it. I will have to think about it.
                Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

Too bad Ridgid didn't 'leak' the upcoming introduction here on the forum, as the cat was probably already out of the bag (don't get too excited Lorax about the cat ) at the Builders Show. Die-hard Ridgid fans could have started passing the word and those who had been holding out waiting for something to show up from the Ridgid camp might have held out a little bit longer.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                    Too bad Ridgid didn't 'leak' the upcoming introduction here on the forum, as the cat was probably already out of the bag (don't get too excited Lorax about the cat ) at the Builders Show. Die-hard Ridgid fans could have started passing the word and those who had been holding out waiting for something to show up from the Ridgid camp might have held out a little bit longer.
                    I would have pickup the bosch or porter cable but since i am a Ridgid fan i can wait a bit longer, and my wife is thinking the same thing to (mainly the waiting....)

The review was good but i want to see first hand if it will handle harder woods.
                    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer
                      Lights? The verdict is still out on this one.
                      12’ cord, Nice.
                      Standard chip shield, Nice.
                      Spindle Lock and two better-made wrenches, Nice.
                      Standard vacuum adapters, Very Nice.
                      Above the table adjustment with included T-wrench, Excellent.
                      Groovy carrying bag, how many people transport their router out of their shop?
                      What do you suppose the long bar mechanism on the left-hand side of the fixed base is, some type of cam locking device?

Woodslayer
                      Wow! This definately sounds like the perfect router kit! Go Ridgid!

I suspect that mechanism is the fine height adjustment. The bar is a kind of extension so you can use an above-the-table type of adjuster. Noteably, the kit comes with the T-wrench for this. PC lists their height adjuster wrench as an optional (more $$$) item!!
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

They just put it up in the Centerville HD

I took some pictures with my proof of this router sighting!
                        Attachment

Attachment
                        Attached Files

Comment

It's in the Corning, NY store also.

Gee, there certainly wasn't much of a "roll-out" though. No annoucements from Ridgid, no press releases, nothing on the web site, no special store display, not even a prominent place on the shelf... just sort of stuck it on the shelf, in the middle of everything else and maybe if you were looking for it, you might see it. Looks like the same folks who mis-handle the Ryobi stuff are doing the same nothings for Ridgid. How about a few ATTA BOY's for the marketing group!

Fortunately the engineering and development guys are on the ball though. The tool looks like it is well designed with some nice features. Springs on the plunge router base seem just right with positive lock lever that doesn't take a lot of effort and a micro adjust thumb wheel stop. Also clear base plate that looks interchangeable with the one on the fixed base. These both have different diameters for the router bit clearance.

Both fixed and plunge bases are titanium. The locking device is a lever-type latch. Fixed base has depth adjustment on extension rod that can be adjusted from above the table. Good speed range with electronic control and a nice looking collet design which has a long neck and a stainless-looking lock nut. Didn't have an opportunity to check out all the features.

CWS
                          Last edited by CWSmith; 03-10-2006, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Good report CW but you left out one major detail, what about the light, I can’t wait to try out night routing.

Woodslayer

Comment

Well when you consider how many orange routers there are in home depot i spotted it from the end of the isle. On of the apron's wanted to get me to buy it yesterday for $140. (papadan is laugh at this) But since my wife was there she talked me out of it. We can easily pay it off now problem but i already got the miter saw and nailer for 200.00 and the a Bosch 5 amp jigsaw and 2 amp sander for 154.99. She said if i get the router we'll have to get a table also and we really can't afford it now. The guy had three manufacturers coupons for 10% off. ARRRRGGHHHH

Comment

Working...
                              X