X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which drill

i need a nice drill for DIYer/Finishing the Basement and am trying to decide between the:
    Bosch 1/2 In. Dual-Torque Hammer Drill odel 1199VSRK which sells at homedepot

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3966&pos=n24

and the RIDGID 1/2 In. Heavy-Duty 2-Speed VR Drill Model R7100

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3966&pos=n24

i'm sure that they are both very nice. what sort of benefit does one get between VSR and hammer drill (i.e. whats the difference between the two?)

for drillis i personally use and love the http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R83001-18V-2-Speed-Drill/ i find it to be one of the best products ive used as for drills. as for the difference between those 2 i honestly dont have a clue

Comment

" what sort of benefit does one get between VSR and hammer drill (i.e. whats the difference between the two?) "

VSR = Variable Speed Reversing. A drill of this type usually has a trigger speed control and a reversing switch.

A hammer drill is a totally different animal. It is used for drilling in concrete, brick, block, etc. with special bits designed for masonry drilling. They can also be used with special masonry screws (Topcon is one brand name). You need a proprietary drill bit/driver tool that is chucked up in the hammer drill to use these screws, but they have advantages over other types of fasteners for light loads in certain applications; ease of use and speed being the biggest pluses I would think.

A hammer drill may also have variable speed and be reversible, and now a days most of them probably are.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

which drill

Bosch has been making quality hammer drills for along time now and are very good.(stay away from there regular drills since there quality has dropped on this type of tool lately ex.1013,1034 1/2 inch drills.NOw i have never got to work on any ridgid yetbut i have worked on the METABO,i think the metabo be1020 or be710,one of these are the same as the ridgid and i mean exactly. the ridgid uses metabo part numbers and metabo parts and i have to tell you that metabo makes a quality tool,soo i wood take a metabo over a bosch any day! soo i would take the ridgid.you should be happy with this drill...
        A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Chic, what's your take on the Milwaukee 1/2" VSR Hammer Drill such as the current model 5387-22 and earlier versions? Have many of them crossed your repair bench? If so what are their weak points?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

While we are on the subject of hammers, does anyone have any experience with the feature laden Ridgid R5010? In particular, I was wondering about the keyless chuck for hammer applications, many people have stated that they would never own a keyless chuck hammer drill but do any of our members have actual experience with this model? Sorry Stoneweed, not trying to highjack your thread, just divert it a little and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Woodslayer

Comment

I am a Ridgid fan for sure, but I have a Bosch 1/2" VS reversable hammer drill that I would not trade for any drill on the market. I have not used a Ridgid or know anyone that has one to compare. I bought my bosch before Ridgid came out with handheld tools. I do have an R84001 3/8" 18v Ridgid that I use almost every day and it has been great for well over a year that I have had it. Start with the Hammer drill because the hammer function can be turned off for regular drilling useage. Then when budgit permits get a regular non-hammer drill also.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Bob, i have yet to see the new 5387.but i went to look at the parts list. the hammer mech.loks like the 5378-20 which is a spin off of aeg win milw.bought aeg.i like that mechanisim works good.but win i look at how the field is placed and held in the housing this is were i get a little pissed off at these manufactors.the feid is fitted in the housing and with hard use the tool will heat up and eventually the plastic housing wears and the feild gets loose. they think that the air deflector with rubber tits will hold the feild from moving.i have seen this with the bosch drills and they all disconect from the leads and eventually short out the feild! see they have saved about 20 cents on putting feild screws in,to hold it down.I have told bosch about this and they would not get back to me on that subject. noe there usally are screww holes there either on each of the corners of the housing so i take advantage of that and put screws in myself while i am doing the repair.now the lder milw.such as the 5374-1 and 5370-1 are built better than these new ones,even the new milw. 0299-20 and 0300-20 are crap compared to the 0234-1 magnums.I even like the dewalt 1/2 inch dw235 drill over the new milw. as far as 1/2 hammer do not like the dewalt but there large 1inch and up are just about top of the food chain in hammers. well i got to cut it short going to see the monster trucks,my son cant wait!!!!!
                john.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of, sounds like Big Red is not gonna be what we have all relied on over the years. I have the earlier model 5370 1/2" Hammer Drill and a Magnum 0234-1 1/2" VSR drill, they are both great tools.

If I need to drill something bigger than 3/8" I get the Hilti TE-17 out. A museum relic I know but it's over 20 years old and still working, and never been in the shop (knock on wood). Why have the Milwaukee 5370 and the TE-17, because the Hilti is too big to get into tight spots and about 2.5x the weight of the Milwaukee. It will wear you down much faster if doing overhead work.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Ya,Iam sure milw. will keep some of there tools good but alot of them will be bleeding ryobi blue!!.hilti is a great hammerdrill,have you ever put any oil in it since you got it?

Comment

VSR drill vs hammer drill

so if the hammer drill has the capacity to switch to a regular drill while simultaneously having variable speed, then would'nt one prefer that over a plain VSR drill?

what does a VSR give you that a hammer drill whose hammer aspect can be turned off with the speed varieted doesn't?

Comment

If you feel that you will be using hammermode just as much as drill mode than you should get a vsr hammer/drill. the controll is in the trigger .this gives you the controll as you drill instead of trying to adjust in the middle of a drill.

Comment

Just had to add another thing. the electronic speed controll that is not in the trigger is usually in larger drills not 1/2inch hammer drills.

Comment

Stoneweed, your question about why have a standard VSR drill if the hammer drill can be run in drill mode is because of the size and weight of the hammer drill. I have the bosch HD and the Ridgid 3/8" vsr drill. When I am drilling wood or metal and do not need 1/2" capacity or hammer function I do not want the large size and weight of the bosch.
                            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

re-woodslayer keyless/hammer

Woodslayer isee alot on the milwaukee 1/2 hammerdrills.it is the loctor chuck.Ilike the metabo keyless better,it is more beefy.it is a rhome chuck and i think you can get it on the ridgid hammerdrill.now for how they work,well i can not vouch for that.the only hammerdrill i have is a bosch 11224 sds hammer and that is just for around the house.the only reason is i rebuilt it and thhey did not want to pay for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X