X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OL50135W Air Compressor Vibration

Does anyone have much experience with vibration with the wheeled version of the OL50135 Oil Lube air compressor? I just purchased one of these, and though I think it will be a good unit, I literally have to lash it down to keep it from creeping across the floor (on cement and wood) when it's running. Otherwise it will take off in a clockwise motion and wander all over the place.

I spent quite a bit of time comparing this to similar units from PC and Dewalt but chose it because of the warranty and portability. I wonder how the Porter Cable C3551 and Dewalt D50155 compare?

Thanks for any advice/recommendations.

I don't have the C3551, but I do have another PC compressor which I like very much. Then again, mine is oil-free, so I guess I'm not real sure about the oil-lube ones in general.

Comment

The Walking Compressor

I purchased th 50135 a few months ago...It has great portability alright..especially on it's own. After 3 jobs the front rubber bumper/foot has come apart and bolt that screws into base has broken off. So much for the claim " Years of Trouble Free Performance".

Comment

Have you contacted them for warranty service? Does your compressor scoot around the floor like mine? Like one of those little computerized automatic vacuum cleaners that wander back and forth, hitting a wall and then turning to move in the opposite direction? You know Ridgid claims that if you aren't completely satisfied you can return the unit for a full refund or exchange within 90 days of purchase. May want to consider that if you still fall in that time period.

Comment

Originally posted by michealwilkins
          Have you contacted them for warranty service? Does your compressor scoot around the floor like mine? Like one of those little computerized automatic vacuum cleaners that wander back and forth, hitting a wall and then turning to move in the opposite direction? You know Ridgid claims that if you aren't completely satisfied you can return the unit for a full refund or exchange within 90 days of purchase. May want to consider that if you still fall in that time period.
          I purchased the Ridgid OL50135W last weekend, broke in and have ran several times and mine does not move. I was actually impressed with it because of little to no vibration. I had a Makita MAC2400 which vibrated more than the Ridgid. I had ordered the Makita MAC2400 from Amazon and received two damaged compressors and sent them both back, what a waste of time. I didn't want Dewalt and was leaning toward Porter Cable C3551 but Dewalt also owns them now.
          I have my Ridgid upstairs in the hallway on a crooked/angled hardwood floor and have not had any movement from the compressor. The frame and rubber feet barely vibrate. Yours doesn't sound right, I would take it back if you can and try another one. I really like mine, quite impressed overall by the features- folding handle, solid tires, larger air tanks, solid build and decent looking. I'm kinda glad that the Makita didn't work out as that sucker was heavy to be lugging around. This Ridgid feels like a feather on wheels compared to the Makita.
          I just hope it will last for awhile, it does have a three year warranty which helps plus I will be using mine mainly around the house and not pounding it 8 hours everyday.

Comment

79renegade

How is the noise level of the Ridgid compared to the Makita, I’ve always heard that the low noise level of the Makita was one of it’s greatest attributes. I currently have a small Craftsman oil-free and I swear it is the loudest tool in my shop.

Woodslayer

Comment

Woodslayer,
              Yes, I have to agree that the Makita was a little quieter. I believe they rate the Makita Mac2400 @ 79dB and I was told the Ridgid was 85 dbB when I called. With a 50' hose a person can put the compressor in the hallway or in another room if the noise bothers them that much. I think all oil-free compressors are fairly loud as you mentioned about your Craftsman .
              One of the things I didn't like about the Makita was the vibration, seemed to be a lot for a 1720 rpm compressor. The Ridgid is approx. 3400 rpms.
              Here's what else I found,
              Makita MAC5200 w/wheels 90 dB
              Makita MAC700 Hotdog 80dB
              Porter Cable C3551 83 dB

I guess if you use the compressor daily and it is next to your ear, the quietest would be the best. If I had to carry a 70-80lb compressor daily I would purchase one with wheels, that is one down fall on the MAC2400 the weight. As I said in my earlier post, I love the wheels on the Ridgid OL50135W it's a joy to move around.

Hope that helps,
              Greg
              Last edited by 79renegade; 03-18-2006, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Re: OL50135W Air Compressor Vibration

Originally posted by 79renegade View Post
                I didn't want Dewalt and was leaning toward Porter Cable C3551 but Dewalt also owns them now.

Dewalt doesn't own Porter Cable. Black and Decker owns Dewalt and Porter Cable. As well as Delta, Kwikset Locks, Baldwin Locks, and Price pfister Faucets.

Anyone have the diminsions on this compressor and the weight?

Comment

Working...
                X