X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid TP1300LS vs DeWalt DW735

I have read some articles/test reviews on thickness planers and I am trying to decide which is the the better overall of the two. I have heard that the blades on the DeWalt go out fast, like after 80 board feet and are not cheap to replace, but easy. The DeWalt has two speeds where the Ridgid only has one, and the the Ridgis has two blades and the DeWalt has three. Does anyone have any input on either one? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
    Doug

I'm trying to make the same decision. Right now I'm leaning toward the Ridgid. It gets great reviews, is over $100 cheaper & comes with the stand.

Comment

The DW has a few feature advantages and also includes a chip ejector that works well. DC of some sort is pretty important IMO. If the price is close, I'd favor the DW...otherwise I'd go with the Ridgid or Delta 2 speed. All planers are loud, but the DW is king daddy of hte screamers!

Comment

I have the DeWalt DW735 and can't say enough good things about it. I really like the two speeds, one speed for dimensional planing and the other for finish planing.

The chip ejector feature is awesome. There is no real need for a DC as the on board blower motor will easily blow the chip 20' if its not hooked up to a trash can. However, there's no reason why you couldn't hook it up to a DC although the optional chip collector bags works very well in my experience.

So far, all the wood I've run through mine has come out snipe free. The cutting height adjustment is also very easy to work with.

All in all, I'd recommend the DeWalt over the Ridgid mainly because its a better planer with nicer features. Thats isn't to say the Ridgid isn't a good machine and you wouldn't be happy with it but IMO in this case the extra $100 is well worth it. EDIT - FWIW, www.tylertool.com has reconditioned DeWalt DW735's for $369.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 03-09-2006, 11:40 AM.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have to agree with Dave on this one. I too have the dewalt and it is an excellent machine. I have had no problems with it in the short time I have had mine and have recently put approx 120 feet of Maple through it with no snipe at all and a smooth even surface on the maple. The chip ejector works excellently and it will fill the bag on my dust collector with out the DC motor running. The blades are reversable so you can simply reverse the blades when they get dull. I looked at the ridgid as well when I was buying a planer and I chose the Dewalt as a better all around unit.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Ken

Comment

Thanks for the info guys it helps. I have read quite a few reviews on both planers in magazines and online. I do agree that I have heard and read that the chip/dust collection on the DW in fantasic along with most of the features. My main questions here are:

1. I have read that the DW blades don't hold out as long and you have to change them quite often, is this true?

2. I also understand that the blades for the DW are expensive, but I do understand that there are 3 blades and not 2 to chande out. Does the higher price and quaility for the 3 DW blades compare to the 2 blades for the Ridgid or other 2 blade planers? And are they readily available for both?

3. Last, I have read and understand that you have to purchase the extension tables, the infeed and outfeed tables, for the DW to avoid snipe, without them snipe is a definite. Is this also true?

I have read a current review in the WorkBench magazine, April 2006 Vol. 62 No. 2 Issue #294, that DeWalt is the Top of the line planer with the exception to the blades and the need for the infeed and outfeed supports. They also mentioned that the Ridgid was the best value and that you wouldn't miss the 2 speeds that the DW has cause the Ridgid's quality was very good for having only one speed, and it does come with the supports and a stand. Could you please let me know what you think about the 3 question on the DW, it could be the deciding factor between the DW and the Ridgid.

Thanks in Advance
            Doug

Comment

The current issue of Workbench has a review of these planers.

It rates the DW along with a Delta as the best in class, and the Rigid as a best buy due to the lower price and included features, but lack of 2 speeds.

It also points out that the Rigid comes complete with infeed/outfeed tables and a dust hood, but ALL of those are extra on the DW, and that the DW has BAD snipe if the infeed/outfeed tables are NOT used. (The snipe is all but eliminated with the tables installed).

Also, isn't the price difference $150 ? The Rigid here is $349 and the DW $499 (plus $45 for the necessary extras)

My budget is leading me towards the Rigid !! If that was not a concern the DW would win hands down - but that $200 is another new tool for me !!!!
              Last edited by dmclauchlan; 03-09-2006, 02:51 PM.

Comment

WoodWorker

In regards to your first two questions, all I can honestly say is I don't know. The DW735 is the only planer I've ever owned so I have nothing else to compare my results too. As far as the blades being expensive, I recently saw a report that the DeWalt blades can be found fairly cheap on ebay on a regular basis.

As to your third question, I did buy the infeed and outfeed tables for my planer. Prior to installing them on the machine I did run some test pieces and those pieces were snipe free. From my little experiment I guess I can conclude that the tables, although very nice to have, aren't necessary to ensure snipe free results.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I can't speak about the Dewalt because I don't have one and don't know anyone local to even see one. That being said, I have had my ridgid for a few years now. I cannot believe that the dewalt does a better job than my Ridgid. The only time that I have needed to sand a board after planing was when I had a chip in a blade and it left a small little raised strip on the boards. My own fault for not checking the wood before running it. I normally run 400-500 bd ft on a blade side. Even the chipped blade let me use the other side. I check my infeed and outfeed tables before starting a run of lumber and have never had any snipe problems. As I said, the wood does not need any sanding after planing, so I don't think any other machine could beat this one. They could match it but not do better. MHO Dan
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

i don't know if this will make much difference, but they have a 50 dollar rebate going on right now with the dewalt 2 speed. i have also been on the market to buy a planer and i have liked the features on the dewalt 2 speed. if money was an issue or because you needed to get the attachments, this will not cost any more than it would without the rebate. good luck on the decision.

Comment

I am new to this forum but i just got the ridgid tp1300 the manual said to take time to set up all the parts but right out of the box everything was dead on the thickness the infeed outfeed tables both are right on the money.
                      This planer is real quiet and i love the preset depth stops. feather tuch adjustablity all in all a great buy for the money.
                      Last edited by kenny k; 03-10-2006, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I'm looking at both of these two planers right now, as the thread starter was. I've used the DW, though, and I'm not sure it was due to it being a bad machine, or me not knowing enough about what I was doing, but the DW shut off almost all the time while I was running stock through it.

I don't know, but I thought it was suppose to be able to take off a 1/16th without any problems, but the red oak I ran through it killed it almost everytime. When it did work it had TERRIBLE snipe issues.

*shrugs*

My friend bought it used off of toolking.com, so I guess I'm wondering if any of you have had these problems or not.

And no, changing the blade cuts didn't do anything to make it better.

Comment

Originally posted by brooksbuilt
                          I'm looking at both of these two planers right now, as the thread starter was. I've used the DW, though, and I'm not sure it was due to it being a bad machine, or me not knowing enough about what I was doing, but the DW shut off almost all the time while I was running stock through it.

I don't know, but I thought it was suppose to be able to take off a 1/16th without any problems, but the red oak I ran through it killed it almost everytime. When it did work it had TERRIBLE snipe issues.
                          I don't own the 735 but have not read of this type of issue...it sounds like an isolated problem to that machine or situation.

Comment

Go with the DW-735, it's worth the difference in price.

I have had my DW735 for over two years now. I have seen some snipe at times but it is not a regular occurrence and can be dealt with.

The infeed and outfeed tables are extra.

The built-in chip ejector is awesome and works great.

A replacement blade set (3 blades) is regularly $49.99 at HD or Lowes, could probably be found a little cheaper if you shopped around. They can not be resharpened but are reversible so you in effect get two sets of 3 blades for your $50. I have started processing the red oak I got last Fall over the past month or so from rough cut lumber into squared and planed stock. I have put at least 150 BF or oak (about a third of the stack you see below) plus about 50 BF of Walnut through on the first set of blades and still getting a great finish on my boards. I am about ready to flip them over to the second edge I think.

I think the DW-735 is a little on the expensive side, being about $50 to $100 more than most benchtop planers, but its also at the top of the list in features and performance for a planer in the 12 to 13" size range.
                            Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

dw735

while I am very faithful to my Ridgid Tools I would have to say the that even though the ridgid planer is less expensive. once you put 100bd through the Dewalt and you don't have to sweep up chips out of every crevis of you shop it makes it worth it, cause the chip collector port is great and even if you didn't have a vac or a dust collector to hook it to the fanned our ejection tip works great for mulching the flower beds lays it out nice and even and you can even aim it. haha DW735 hands Down. other wise you might regret it later.

Comment

Working...
                              X