Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Ridgid Shop Start Up Issues (Jointer and Planer)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Shop Start Up Issues (Jointer and Planer)

For the first time, I used my new Ridgid Jointer and Planer. Like any newbie- I encounterd some issues that I was wondering if any one else had encounterd and how they solved them.

First, the Jointer -- My main concern here was vibration. It seemed like after the belt ran for a while, it diminished, but not entirely. Is this related to tension or pully alignment? Is a link belt the answer?

Second, the Planer -- The dust chip collection was "iffy" at best leading to burnishing of the wood surface. I have a 1hp Dust collector with a 4" hose, directly linked to the planer. I tracked the issue down to the dust chute deflecting leaving a gap at the bottom. I was loosing at least half, if not more of the suction. Has any one else experianced this? My thought was to drill and tap 3 more holes along the bottom to seal the gap.

Thanks to all for your sugesdtions!!

WWWanabee

Welcome

Originally posted by WWWanabee
    For the first time, I used my new Ridgid Jointer and Planer. Like any newbie- I encounterd some issues that I was wondering if any one else had encounterd and how they solved them.

First, the Jointer -- My main concern here was vibration. It seemed like after the belt ran for a while, it diminished, but not entirely. Is this related to tension or pully alignment? Is a link belt the answer?

Doublecheck the alignment and tension. If they are OK, then a link belt should take care of the vibration.

Second, the Planer -- The dust chip collection was "iffy" at best leading to burnishing of the wood surface. I have a 1hp Dust collector with a 4" hose, directly linked to the planer. I tracked the issue down to the dust chute deflecting leaving a gap at the bottom. I was loosing at least half, if not more of the suction. Has any one else experianced this? My thought was to drill and tap 3 more holes along the bottom to seal the gap.

I don't have a Ridgid planer but you definately want to seal that gap any way you can. How heavy a cut are you taking? What kind of wood?

Thanks to all for your sugesdtions!!

WWWanabee
    10 characters
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Thanks Lorax.

The wood was Pine (2 1/2 X 20" clear sections, cut from a 2 X10). The cut was 1/16" per pass rough and 1/32 to 1/64" finish.

Comment

Sounds good. Just wanted to make sure you weren't tryin' to hog off too much at a time. Whatcha makin'?
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I figure what a better way to learn but to build my shop-- I am converting my side of the garage and starting with the Lumber Racks. Wood Magazing had a decent design that I saved.

It is probably overkill to use all the tools - but the saw dust and chips are infectious! Having never used anything but a table saw, i'm having a blast. Besides, If I mess up a piece of 2X lumber, HD is right around the corner.

Next up is a router table. I have Norm's plans. I figure it should provide plenty of challenges. Then a bench, then a Miter Saw Center, then ...

Comment

Installing some thin foam insulation strips under the dust collector might be an easy way to seal the gap. I'm using a Ridgid shop vac on mine and it works fine. Check the pulley set screws and make sure they are tight against the shafts, mine weren't and I had a heck of a vibration. I replaced the belt with an automotive belt with the (cogs?) in it and I have very little vibration.

Comment

Working...
            X