Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Shop Start Up Issues (Jointer and Planer)

For the first time, I used my new Ridgid Jointer and Planer. Like any newbie- I encounterd some issues that I was wondering if any one else had encounterd and how they solved them.

First, the Jointer -- My main concern here was vibration. It seemed like after the belt ran for a while, it diminished, but not entirely. Is this related to tension or pully alignment? Is a link belt the answer?

Second, the Planer -- The dust chip collection was "iffy" at best leading to burnishing of the wood surface. I have a 1hp Dust collector with a 4" hose, directly linked to the planer. I tracked the issue down to the dust chute deflecting leaving a gap at the bottom. I was loosing at least half, if not more of the suction. Has any one else experianced this? My thought was to drill and tap 3 more holes along the bottom to seal the gap.

Thanks to all for your sugesdtions!!

WWWanabee

Welcome

Originally posted by WWWanabee
    For the first time, I used my new Ridgid Jointer and Planer. Like any newbie- I encounterd some issues that I was wondering if any one else had encounterd and how they solved them.

First, the Jointer -- My main concern here was vibration. It seemed like after the belt ran for a while, it diminished, but not entirely. Is this related to tension or pully alignment? Is a link belt the answer?

Doublecheck the alignment and tension. If they are OK, then a link belt should take care of the vibration.

Second, the Planer -- The dust chip collection was "iffy" at best leading to burnishing of the wood surface. I have a 1hp Dust collector with a 4" hose, directly linked to the planer. I tracked the issue down to the dust chute deflecting leaving a gap at the bottom. I was loosing at least half, if not more of the suction. Has any one else experianced this? My thought was to drill and tap 3 more holes along the bottom to seal the gap.

I don't have a Ridgid planer but you definately want to seal that gap any way you can. How heavy a cut are you taking? What kind of wood?

Thanks to all for your sugesdtions!!

WWWanabee
    10 characters
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Thanks Lorax.

The wood was Pine (2 1/2 X 20" clear sections, cut from a 2 X10). The cut was 1/16" per pass rough and 1/32 to 1/64" finish.

Comment

Sounds good. Just wanted to make sure you weren't tryin' to hog off too much at a time. Whatcha makin'?
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I figure what a better way to learn but to build my shop-- I am converting my side of the garage and starting with the Lumber Racks. Wood Magazing had a decent design that I saved.

It is probably overkill to use all the tools - but the saw dust and chips are infectious! Having never used anything but a table saw, i'm having a blast. Besides, If I mess up a piece of 2X lumber, HD is right around the corner.

Next up is a router table. I have Norm's plans. I figure it should provide plenty of challenges. Then a bench, then a Miter Saw Center, then ...

Comment

Installing some thin foam insulation strips under the dust collector might be an easy way to seal the gap. I'm using a Ridgid shop vac on mine and it works fine. Check the pulley set screws and make sure they are tight against the shafts, mine weren't and I had a heck of a vibration. I replaced the belt with an automotive belt with the (cogs?) in it and I have very little vibration.

Comment

Working...
            X