X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v hammer drill wobbles

I recently bought a ridgid 18v hammer drill and right away noticed that the chuck wobbles on it. I have been dealing with the problem by using the shortest driver tips and screws possible. A friend I work with also has one of these drills, his chuck froze up and when he took it back and got a replacement, his new one also has a major chuck wobble.
    Does anyone know if Ridgid has addressed this problem?
    I'd appreciate any info on this subject.
    Thanks, Aksparky

On all the drills i have owned (Dewalt and Ridgid) there is always a bit of wobble. It if is ecsessive then return it or call a service center to see if they can replace it for you.
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Same issue here.I am fortunate that they have a service center locally(Indianapolis).A option they offered was to bring it in and they would UPS it back to me at no charge.They had to replace the motor assembly,had it back the next day.
      I have heard a lot of complaints about the Cincinnati OH service center.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, I have owned many cordless drills from the 9 volt makitas, 12 and 14.4, and 18 volt dewalts and none have had a case of the wobbles like the ridgid drill. I drove up to HD today to return it and get a new one and asked if I could take it out and make sure the chuck and spindle was true and found that of 5 drills that we opened and checked they all had wobbles, some very distinguished, some not so bad. I also noticed that they changed the style of the drill and went to a different chuck as well.
        I'm sure they have had enough feedback to know there was definately a flaw there "the people told me at HD that there have been several returns on the drill".
        Anyway, thanks again for the replys.

Comment

I broke the original chuck on my drill and the replacement has no wobble that i can see. I'm not that surprised at how many had a case of the wobbles, At least it's not as bad as ryobi and craftsman, I have seen those wobble really bad and you have to sometimes use channel locks to tighten the chuck.

A lot of the difference is how well something is put together the first time. Like my Honda civic. I just finished 3 hours of work on the car door. The windows didn't roll down the mirror was stuck and the speaker was dead. After pulling the door of and splicing in an extra foot of wire and wrapping 23 wires in electrical tape to protect them. Every thing works except the door lock. Now if they had put proper care and had pride in their work I wouldn't have spent 3 hours fixing my car. All they had to do was leave enough slack so that when the door is open all the way it doesn't bend the wires.

All they have to do is have pride in the tools they build and the chucks wouldn't wobble! But if every tool and car were made right the first time you'd only have to get service for parts that wore out through natural use.
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

just bought the kit for $299. with hammer drill (18v) . 2 of them wobble , 3rd one slight wobble . It has the series 700 jacobs chuck which is a quality chuck . Maybe ridge tool co. got a good deal on these junk chucks . I put a spade bit on mine and it about shook out of my hands . Try to put a screw on a bit and forget it , it will shake the screw off . Not happy .

Comment

No drill should wobble .if it is wobbling the clutch assembly is bad or the chuck is slightly out of round. take it back and get a new drill or change to a better built drill.
              A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Another point of view

[quote=Polar Sparky 1224] At least it's not as bad as ryobi and craftsman, I have seen those wobble really bad and you have to sometimes use channel locks to tighten the chuck.quote]

I use a Craftsman 19.2 v drill/driver and there is zero wobble. That thing is a workhorse. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

[QUOTE=Lorax]
                  Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                  At least it's not as bad as ryobi and craftsman, I have seen those wobble really bad and you have to sometimes use channel locks to tighten the chuck.quote]

I use a Craftsman 19.2 v drill/driver and there is zero wobble. That thing is a workhorse. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
                  I have several Craftsman 19.2 volt tools. When I compare their price to the big names, it makes me think no way have I got quality tools. However, they've done everything I've asked of them. Other than the annoying safety levers, I have no complaints. The two drill/drivers I own have no wobble.

Comment

some wobble

I remember reading a couple power tool reviews and they all indicate that all drills have chuck runout. What you need to worry about it is how little it actually is. Many drills have a a couple thousands and some drills that have removable chucks like some of the black and deckers have around .014 runout which is overly excessive.
                    If I remember correctly the Ridgid drills all had a couple thousands runout which is pretty good. They were at the same level as all the high contractor series lines

Daniel

Comment

I just purchased the 18v jig saw that came with drill . The drill has the one peice chuck and almost has zero wobble . I use that for everything at work . And decided the hammer drill will be used for just that . I believe the problem lies with the hammer drills only . I also have the 14.4 drill , and zero wobble with that also . I tend to be a little anal with my tools , but I use them every day and I feel they should perform as advertised . Other then that one little problem , I love the rigid tools . Home depot has backed them up 100% .

Comment

Working...
                      X