X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Alignment

I just purchased a 12" Rigid Miter saw with exactline laser. Read manual but is there any hints on aligning laser with cut?

There is no alignment adjustment feature. What you see is what you get.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Not exactly true.. I found that the laser diode inside the housing slides ever so slightly forward and backward. By loosening the 2 small screws and moving it backward just a fraction the laser is perfectly aligned with my cut. At first I used to put a piece of newspaper behind the laser washer but it took awhile to align when changing blades.. Frustration made me move that laser diode and all is well. They should put a setscrew or bevel washer to make these adjustments. Without this working properly it is just an annoying gimmick.

Comment

"it is just an annoying gimmick."

That's all it ever was.

The best procedure I have come across is this:

1. Unplug the saw.
        2. Locate the laser mounting screw(s).
        3. Remove the mounting screws and laser from the saw.
        4. Throw the laser in the trash.
        5. Plug in the saw and use normally.

---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
          "it is just an annoying gimmick."

That's all it ever was.

The best procedure I have come across is this:

1. Unplug the saw.
          2. Locate the laser mounting screw(s).
          3. Remove the mounting screws and laser from the saw.
          4. Throw the laser in the trash.
          5. Plug in the saw and use normally.

I agree with everything you have said up until now Bob.

Bought an Avenger Laser to hook to the hitachi and for $18.00 one of the best things I could of bought except a new blade.
          Blade hits right where light shows.

total install time 5 Minutes go figure
          Not responsible for speeling mistakes
          Jeff

Comment

"I agree with everything you have said up until now Bob."

Wow, that covers a lot of territory for my past 2.5 years of posts, we must be clones.

(Some of) Youz guyz need to recognize a joke when you read one.

I will agree that some of the laser guides are better than others and they work as advertised. However, overall I think they are not worth the trouble and when I have used one I find myself not trusting it and still aligning the blade with my cut mark in the usual way.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Laser as safety feature, not measuring device

I posted it before and I'll post it again. Bob D, I agree for accuracy I'd not trust the laser, but given you signature, it does give a really nice don't place your fingers here indication. Also helps in getting your mark close so you can set the balde down and finish the positioning. Now, if they just made one that fit a table saw. I was always taught by my shop teacher never to trust the fence scale on a saw, and to always trust your tape/ruler or other reliable measuring device.
              Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Roadrunner, I actually use both the tape on the rails and a tape measure when making cuts on my TS. Sorta an offshoot of the measure twice cut once technique. Whichever method I use first to set the fence distance, I always use the other to double check for accuracy. Maybe it's Dyslexia I don't know but for whatever reason when I'm off it's usually by 1" one way or the other.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Same here, I use the fence scale to get within a 1/4, then switch to the ol' reliable tape.
                  Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Working...
                  X