Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to run slots?

Hi all again another NOOB question.

What is the best way to run a slot on say a featherboard?

Drop it into a spinning router bit does not seem safe.

Is this the way to do it ?

Or is their another jig I have to make to do it?

Well all replies are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Not responsible for speeling mistakes
    Jeff

One way would be to drill s hole at both ends of the slot and cut the rest out with a jig saw. Plunging a router in is also an option.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Reef

I’ve successfully done that many times and suffered no ill consequences, although I must admit that I was a little skittish the first time. I configure a containment area sort of speak using the fence and clamping a board parallel to the fence leaving a space the width of the piece you need to rout, then add a stop block at each end allowing for the length of the slot. I rest the piece against the right hand stop block tilting it up over the bit, turn on the router and pivot it down over the spinning bit then push it along to the other stop block using push blocks (the style that are included with jointers work good). I prefer to shut the router off and let the bit come to a stop prior to lifting the piece off. Repeat the process a few time raising the bit a little each time, the final “through” pass requires a more deliberate placement of the push blocks due to the protruding bit, prior to that pass you can just lay one on top of the piece and push it along.

Woodslayer

Comment

I find it easiest and safest to use a drill press and forstner bit. I set up a fence that puts the featherboard at the distance need from the bit. Drill the first end and move the FB along the fence drilling about every 2/3 the bit diameter. Then take a chisel and clean out the slot. Whole process takes about 15 minutes and no dangers.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I would not attempt that method if the required slot needed to be placed close to the end that is being lowered onto the bit, if that is the case I would leave a few extra inches of stock and cut of the excess after the slot was cut. If a precession slot is not needed, I have used a variation of the method others have suggested, a drill press with Forstner bit for the ends and a scroll saw for the length of the cut. The straightness of my scroll saw cuts usually leaves something to be desired so I usually clean them up with the spindle sander if the slot is larger than ½ inch.

Woodslayer

Comment

All good answers.

Thanks to all.

PapaDan great idea never would of thought of that.

same to you woodslayer great idea kind of what I have been thinking.

Use to do them free hand but hard to get them suckers straight

Yes dropping a piece of wood on a spinning router doing 10,000 plus RPM's does not seem like a good idea.

But I think would give the best professional cut.

So from now on call me Nubby.
            Not responsible for speeling mistakes
            Jeff

Comment

Follow the leader......

Originally posted by Reef12
              Yes dropping a piece of wood on a spinning router doing 10,000 plus RPM's does not seem like a good idea.

But I think would give the best professional cut.

So from now on call me Nubby.
              I do believe that is how Norm was doing it on the 2-part router series that was on a few weeks ago. Of course he made it look pretty easy, but did take a few minutes to explain what he was doing, how and why so it eased my mind on the idea a bit.

WWS
              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

you can do it a couple of passes,
                but keep the item being routed well secured in some method and a fence of some type would make a nicer cut,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                X