X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to level the extension tables on the TP1300LS

What is the proper way to level the extension tables on the planer? The instruction manual states to loosen the lock nuts on the extension tables and adjust the stop screws. This works to a certain extent but when tightening the lock nuts the extension table seems to ride about 1/32 of an inch lower than the middle table even though it is parallel to it. There isn't much play where the extension tables meet the middle table where it could be adjusted. It seems the only thing that helps to keep the extension tables completely flush and level with the middle is to keep the lock nuts loose. This doesn't seem like the correction solution since I now have to check the levelness (not sure if this is a word) every time the extension tables have been in the upright postion. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan, on my delta there are 4 screws that hold the in/out feed tables onto the support bars (think the Ridgid has the same screws). If I loosen those screws I can now move the entire table up or down by about 1/32" keeping the parallelism.
    I also set my tables so they form a very slight 'V' meaning that the outer edges of the in/out feed tables are about a 1/32" to 1/16" higher than the edge that meets the platen. I find this reduces the snipe by helping to force the boards against the platen until the second feed roller makes contact

Comment

The 4 screws you mentioned are the lock nuts I was talking about. I can move the extension tables a bit at the platen but need to keep the screws loose if i want to maintain that position. The funny thing is when the lock nuts are tighten it forms a slight "V" as you mentioned. I was trying to get rid of the V and make it perfectly flat. I was thinking that the "V" would actually increase sniping since the begining of the board and the end of board would be at a slight angle as it hits the blades. But then again I haven't used the planer too much. From what you can tell the "v" helps with sniping? Thanks.

Comment

Response to RyanS

Yes, the outboard end of each table should be about 1/16" higher than the platen. This greatly reduces snipe. As a matter of fact, most books recommend lifting up on the ends of the board as it enters and leaves the planer if you are experiencing snipe. Another tip I have seen and used is to feed the board in at an angle. This will reduce snipe and also tearout.
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I have had my Ridgid planer fora few years now. The extention tables are just stamped steel and not real strong. They will sag under the weight of a board. By setting them with the V the infeed and outfeed tables will be parrelell with the center platten during use. For extra long boards it is nesc. to support the ends either by hand or use roller stands and have them just slightly (1/8") higher than the tables.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
          X