No announcement yet.

What's the word on Kobalt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You said you have never broken a Kobalt tool, but how much does a "space cowboy" use those tools?
    the dog

Comment

Husky mech tool made by Stanley

I was told the husky sockets, ratchets... are made by stanley. If you look at the address to return a tool under the lifetime warranty the address is stanley.

Comment

If I recall correctly didn't Lowes start phasing out all the Kobalt tools, and started selling Task Force. At least here in central pa.

Comment

Re: What's the word on Kobalt?

Hey all-

I bought a Kobalt paint sprayer and I need a new needle. I've looked all over and of course Lowes ( the store and online ) and Kobalt.com were zero help. Any one know where I can get replacement parts for Kobalt tools? Maybe it's just me, but making tools, but not selling parts is bad business.

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224 View Post
            In a few years more of our American jobs will go to china as well. They bought the steel plant in Utah and a few thousand jobs vanished. How long will it take before we as a nation go from wealth to poverty. It's already hard to get affordable housing even with the cheap labor from Mexico and other country's but the whole problem it there are people that don't care how they make their money. even if a few jobs are lost they still have their large house and sports cars they never drive.

Unfortunately it is true that in a few years they only things still made in America will be our children. Hopefully that doesn't change too.....
            I agree with you. The only way we can compete with the third world is to become like the third world. I'd like to know who will buy all the SUV's trucks, cars, electronics and other big ticket items when we can't afford them? I'm already there myself, no more new vehicles or toys unless I hit LOTTO. All those factory jobs we lost enabled Americans to get a house, car and maybe send their kids to school. You can't afford the same things on the lower wage jobs that replaced them.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach James View Post
              Kobalt wrenches, sockets and ratchets are made by Danaher. Several years ago, Lowes switched from JH Williams to Danaher for these items. Check out the Danaher website. They make hand tools for several top quality lines. I've got a few Allen brand wrenches and ratchets and they have been fine for me.
              Like Craftsman. Danaher got the contract, from Sears, over Stanley, quite a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                I agree with you. The only way we can compete with the third world is to become like the third world. I'd like to know who will buy all the SUV's trucks, cars, electronics and other big ticket items when we can't afford them? I'm already there myself, no more new vehicles or toys unless I hit LOTTO. All those factory jobs we lost enabled Americans to get a house, car and maybe send their kids to school. You can't afford the same things on the lower wage jobs that replaced them.

It's actually the opposite that needs to happen. Those in the third world need to come up to our standards and make the same demands for wages and what not that we do in order for things to equal out.

It's beginning. They're starting to want things like new clothes and fancy cars, and they're beginning to be able to afford them in small quantities.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen fast enough to have much positive impact in our lifetimes.

And if it does, manufacturing will just move on from China and India to Africa and South America.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but making tools, but not selling parts is bad business.
                  In today's society that is becoming more the norm. Things are being made cheaper, making them "disposable" reather than repaired. Many times people would have no idea how to repair things even if the parts were available, so they buy a new one anyway. The store stocking, wasting space for, and making minimal profit from, these parts...plus a person that can actually be of some help to you?
                  The bad thing is that making them "cheaper" in cost makes them "cheap" in quality too. So breakdowns are more frequent. Then we get the idea that all of the "cheap" stuff is about the same, so we buy the one that costs the least....Or we take the bite and step-up to the "expensive" stuff made for pros. Then you can get parts.

These big volume stores just don't have the time to spend. That is why I try to buy what I can from my local privately owned hardware store. They don't have the selection of the big guys, but they do have many of the odd things that the volume places don't bother to carry. They actually have hardware.

With all of the mergers/partners and "groups" out there trying to make nothing more than a profit...many products are just rebranded.
                  I had heard the "Snap-On" thing years ago, but I would expect it to change or at least "go up for bid" every few years. I also heard that the "Kobalt" tool boxes were made by Kennedy, but that has probably changed too.

If I recall correctly didn't Lowes start phasing out all the Kobalt tools, and started selling Task Force. At least here in central pa.
                  While I realize that this quote is from a post that is over a year old, I see just the opposite here. There are more and more things all of the time. I was just in a Lowe's last night and it seems that the Kobalt tool boxes have changed. They have the look of the "professional" line of Craftsman stuff. They have taller lids with angled front corners rather than the older rounded profile.

Comment

The post 2003 Kobalt wrenchs do not have the same feel or length, I had one wrench go missing after a flight out of the U.S. and now can not get a replacement for the set. The socket sets are now 12 point, and I don't see many 12 point fasteners. (I try not to use 12 point due to slipage)

Scott

Comment

No parts for HVLP sprayer!

I got a Kobalt HVLP sprayer about a year and a half ago. I lost the gasket on the lid of the aluminum paint container. I called the 800 no. for parts and they told me they no longer stock parts for this tool. It's only 18 months old! Any body know where I can get this gasket? Thanks.

Comment

A few months ago, I noticed the local Lowes stores in my area began to clearance price the "old" Kobalt tool chests & cabinets (made in USA). I picked up some ball-bearing cabinets & chests for under a $100 each. They introduced a new line of Kobalt tool chests & cabinets that have a nice style & finish but the overall quality seems to be a bit lower in my opinion. The new Kobalt tool chests & cabinets are made in China.
                        Lowes has also introduced a Kobalt branded ten inch sliding miter saw. The quality of the sliding mechanism appears to be inferior to the Makita, Ridgid and Hitachi. It reminds me of some of the saws offered at Harbor Freight that are made in China.
                        Are the brands & quality that we expect from our favorite power tools going to become harder to find? Will we have to accept these lower quality disposable tools and replace them regularly because they cost less? I guess I will need to take extra time to maintain and protect my Bosch-Dewalt-Makita-Ridgid-Milwaukee power tools.......

Comment

I've seen that slider...it is one of the cheapest-looking $200 miter saws I've seen.

Comment

The Kobalt branded hand tools were introduced and marketed to compete with Craftsman and Husky. They were made in the USA for the most part and were very similar in design and quality as the Craftsman & Husky tools. Is the new Kobalt branded sliding miter saw the clue that the end is near for Kobalt tools? Lowes has clearance priced many of the "old" non-made-in-China hand tools which I snapped up whenever Lowes prices them for pennies on the dollar. I would gamble that the bright blue finish of the new miter saw flakes off before the motor begins to smoke.
                            Last edited by reConx; 01-21-2008, 09:14 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Man you hit it right on the head. I haven't heard one word from any of the candidates that think it's bad that everything is made in China but we're just shipping them boatloads of money which they are putting into their military. Go in ANY big box store and 90% of the inventory is from China. Better teach your kids to speak Chinese so they can communicate with their future masters.

Comment

Lenhud, the part you are seeking can be picked up at and air tool repair store. That particular gun is the same variant of Ingersoll Rand and Campbell Hausfeld. The part is not that expensive either.
                                Campbell Hausfeld makes all of the Husky and Kobalt compressors. They are very good and the 60 gallon units use either an Emerson or Century motor.(2 excellent motors). The crankshaft bearings are also rated for 5,000 hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X