What's the word on Kobalt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the word on Kobalt?

I purchased a Kobalt digital air compressor a year and a half ago. It has never functioned in a predictable way. Now, the motor burned out. I'm just a home owner, very infrequent use. I have been on the phone for over 1.5 hours waiting for a representative to pick up the line to tell me about where to take it for repair. The recorded message keeps telling me my wait time is 5 miutes. I called the 1-866-307-4104 number listed in the operator manual. I will never buy another Lowes/Kobalt product again. This product and thier company is terrible.

Comment

My Kobalt toolbox is made in Isreal.

(The one Jimmie Johnson totes around on the commercial where he is fixing everything in the neighborhood.)

Comment

Originally posted by John C. View Post
        I purchased a Kobalt digital air compressor a year and a half ago. It has never functioned in a predictable way. Now, the motor burned out. I'm just a home owner, very infrequent use. I have been on the phone for over 1.5 hours waiting for a representative to pick up the line to tell me about where to take it for repair. The recorded message keeps telling me my wait time is 5 miutes. I called the 1-866-307-4104 number listed in the operator manual. I will never buy another Lowes/Kobalt product again. This product and thier company is terrible.
        Tell me about it, i just purchased a Kobalt compressor and the manual says not to return but call the toll free number. 3 days later and 6 different hours of hold time I have never reached a rep, for the past 2 hours the phone message says a 1 minute hold time. Going to hang up and call Kobalt corporate....I've had it!!!

Comment

Kobalt sucks. Stanley and Ridgid are still my handtool companies of choice.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

HI ALL IM NEW TO THIS WEBSITE

I BOUGHT A KOBALT AIR COMPRESSOR FROM LOWES I COULD NOT MAKE IT WORK RIGHT,I CALLED THE KOBALT COMPANY THAT IS IN THE MANUAL
            AS THE MANUAL SAI'S NOT TO BRING IT TO THE STORE TO CALL 1-866-307-4104 i called two week's in a row and got nothing but a busy signal
            yesterday i called 8/28/08 and the phones were shut off i called lowes and the manager told me they went out of business but he was told to let them bring it back for another machine or a store credit. so i dont know what kobalt is doing but lowes is standing behind it at least

Comment

I was making my rounds in Lowe's this weekend and I saw new Kobalt 18v lithium and NiCd power tools. the specs look good on the lithium tools. They had a 455 in/lbs. drill, a 300 ft/lbs. impact wrench, both lithium. They also had a standard looking NiCd combo kit with drill, circ. saw, and recip. saw. The impact wrench looked like a beast and reminded me of the Makita. The batteries are slide type. All of the tools are all made in China in accordance with new American tradition. The tools look pretty sharp in "Kobalt" dark blue with plenty of black rubber guards.

I asked the tool guy who makes them and he said, "same people who make Craftsman". I pretty much believed him because the last time I saw a 455 in/lb. torque rating on a drill was on the very first Ridgid lithium drill. Charge time for the compact batteries is 20 min. according to the specs printed on the box. I've found nothing on the web so far.

The construction seems to be on par with, or slightly higher than Ryobi, and well above Porter Cable. The drill have Rohm chucks, and are solid. Not the hollow sounding light weight metal like on the PC drills. The lithium drill is about the same price as the Ryobi compact lithium 18v ($159). Overall they look like very good tools in that price range although the the large capacity batteries are huge compared to other brands.

Comment

Rohm chucks on Kobalt branded drill? Thanks for the update....

Comment

Originally Posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                  In a few years more of our American jobs will go to china as well. They bought the steel plant in Utah and a few thousand jobs vanished. How long will it take before we as a nation go from wealth to poverty. It's already hard to get affordable housing even with the cheap labor from Mexico and other country's but the whole problem it there are people that don't care how they make their money. even if a few jobs are lost they still have their large house and sports cars they never drive.

Unfortunately it is true that in a few years they only things still made in America will be our children. Hopefully that doesn't change too.....
                  I agree with you. The only way we can compete with the third world is to become like the third world. I'd like to know who will buy all the SUV's trucks, cars, electronics and other big ticket items when we can't afford them? I'm already there myself, no more new vehicles or toys unless I hit LOTTO. All those factory jobs we lost enabled Americans to get a house, car and maybe send their kids to school. You can't afford the same things on the lower wage jobs that replaced them.

The posts above are four years old but could have been written today. Americans need to wake the heck up, we need to make most of what we consume. What we think are inexpensive tools and goods from outside the USA are actually costing us our way of life and country.
                  In my opinion no matter how good you may think you got it, the sky is falling! We cannot sustain the American economy by supporting communist china, mexico and the rest of the world through our consumer dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Originally Posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                    In a few years more of our American jobs will go to china as well. They bought the steel plant in Utah and a few thousand jobs vanished. How long will it take before we as a nation go from wealth to poverty. It's already hard to get affordable housing even with the cheap labor from Mexico and other country's but the whole problem it there are people that don't care how they make their money. even if a few jobs are lost they still have their large house and sports cars they never drive.

Unfortunately it is true that in a few years they only things still made in America will be our children. Hopefully that doesn't change too.....
                    I agree with you. The only way we can compete with the third world is to become like the third world. I'd like to know who will buy all the SUV's trucks, cars, electronics and other big ticket items when we can't afford them? I'm already there myself, no more new vehicles or toys unless I hit LOTTO. All those factory jobs we lost enabled Americans to get a house, car and maybe send their kids to school. You can't afford the same things on the lower wage jobs that replaced them.

The posts above are four years old but could have been written today. Americans need to wake the heck up, we need to make most of what we consume. What we think are inexpensive tools and goods from outside the USA are actually costing us our way of life and country.
                    In my opinion no matter how good you may think you got it, the sky is falling! We cannot sustain the American economy by supporting communist china, mexico and the rest of the world through our consumer dollars.
                    well said

Comment

Very coincidental this thread was revived...

Ran out of galvy 16d's today; our local lumber yard just switched fastener brands, guess where they are made?

Eyes closed, these "NEW" nails are obviously lighter, thinner, actually shorter (1/8"), w/ a weak head.

Forgive the shout-

CAN WE NOT MANUFACTURE HERE IN THE USA AT ALL ANYMORE??!!

I hear the doom & gloom of no jobs, yet I see crumbling & empty facilities all around. If someone would just decide to simply manufacture all of our nuts, bolts, screws & nails right here at home it would make a difference & I for one would gladly pay more for them.

Cheap now costs so much more later.

Comment

I have a set of Kobalt wrenches and sockets and I have to say that I am pleased with them. Some of the other threads have stated that Kobalt is made by Snap-On. This is true. My dad is a Snap-On dealer and confirmed this. However, the quality of a Snap-On tool and a Kobalt tool are not the same. Kobalt tools are mostly manufactured overseas while Snap-On hand tools are ALL made in the U.S. I don't put lots of mileage on my sockets, so the Kobalt tools fit the bill. If I were turning a wrench day in and day out, I would have all Snap-On in my shop. Kobalt sockets have some of the same features as Snap-On Sockets. Namely Snap-On's pattented Flank Drive. This allows a bolt or nut to be removed even if the shoulders of the bolts have been rounded over.

For light duty work or occasional use, Kobalt is a great tool. If you use them every day, buy the best. Snap-On is definitely the best. Maybe some day when my old man retires I'll be able to help him reduce the inventory on the tool truck by getting some good hand tools at cost.

Comment

Working...
                        X