X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drywall Screw gun

Hi can any body give some advice on what to look for in a drywall screw gun. My impulse is to of course buy the Ridgid one . Thanks this is for home and small job use I am not a sheet rocker Anthony
    Last edited by AnthonyD; 03-24-2006, 11:02 AM.

depending on your need some one makes a small adapter that will work on most any drill, a variable speed is helpfully on the use of the adapter, it also has depth stop built in,

http://stanleytools.com/default.asp?...BER=8438915840

http://www.lubbocksupply.com/cart/product.aspx?id=809

If you watch what your doing just using a variable speed drill and Phillips bit and not breaking the paper will work is is slower as you have to watch ever screw you drive carefully,

That could be one way if it is small job, (a few rooms).

I bought the "deck gun" as it was lower in gear reduction,
    mine I think are in the 2500 rpm, (have two of them and like them).

My son in law like the high speed ones, I think there 4000 max, rpm.

mine are yellow in color, I don't have any experience with the Ridgid electric tools,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

How much use will it see?

If you're going to use it professionally, get a good one. You will learn to use it with the motor at full speed all the time, you lock the motor on and go. The clutch is what controlls the bit turning, not the motor.

The differences are weight (minor) and depth of drive adjustment. Some adjust easier than others. The weight thing will become an issue after you've been screwing a ceiling or upper walls for 2 hours.

Cheap doesn't save money. The $20-$50 you save will be spent on labor on the first half of the first job.

Bits are an issue. Get the correct size - - #2. You can buy #1's but they are to small so they don't grip well. Some #2 bits grip better than others. As the bits wear, toss them. The quarter you save on bits is quickly lost on labor.

Using a drill instead of a screwgun will cost you $$ unless it's a small job, one time use. The drill has the wrong kind of clutch, is slow, and requires to much monitoring for proper depth.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all of your input ! Much appreciated. I may just pick up another ORANGE tool after all

Comment

I have found to like dewalts screw guns.they are the best built.they have a very nice cluthing system,very smooth.alot of screw guns come in for repair and to me dewalt can't be beat.
          A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

I talked to a service rep here at HD in sioux falls ,sd . I have been hanging drywall for 13 years ,and told him we've always have used the old black and decker screw guns and now dewalt 272 . We like the 272 because it doesn't have the silent clutch . I think that silent clutch is about the worst thing they have tried to do to these guns . Which brings me to the reason why we don't buy the ridgid guns . The gun does everything you could ask it to do but we just can't stand the clutch in it . I explained that to him and he told me he was going to bring that up to the engineer and see what they can do . I know a lot of drywallers around here would buy one if they had the same style clutch as the 272 dewalt . Now for the reason I don't like the silent clutch . The guns work great at first (in wood) , but when they get a little worn , they squeal like crazy and tend to strip the screws out on the heavier C-board 5/8's sheetrock in the rc channel on lids and steel studs (lighter gauge). I brought my ridgid gun back after 2 weeks and went back to a dewalt. I am a ridgid backer all the way , all my cordless tools are ridgid, but until they do away with that clutch , I' m sticking with dewalt .

Comment

Working...
            X