Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a cordless Impact Dril used for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a cordless Impact Dril used for?

I just won a silent auction for a 5 piece Ridgid cordless set. I am a homeowner but sell hand tools and electrical products for a living so I know what the circular saw, reciprocating saw, hammer drill and light are used for, but what the heck is the impact drill for? I hope someone can help! LOL!

Until the next time, See Ya! Jerrold.

First of all it isn't a drill, its an impact driver. Basically, its used to drive screws and works very well for general construction type projects like deck building, etc. For woodworking projects you'll need a light touch on the trigger due to the lack of an adjustable clutch on impact drivers. Ever since I acquired the Ridgid 14.4V impact driver it has become my tool of choice for driving in most screws.
    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    ------- Henry Ford

Comment

nuts and bolts

Impact driver/ drills make short work of nuts and bolts. What would normally take you minutes with a crescent or a ratchet, the impact can do in seconds. Lug nuts on your wheels, anchor bolts - lags, carriage, j-bolt fastening, etc. If you have stubborn nuts with a little lubricant to the threads this driver can get it undone if not break the bolt off completely.

Comment

I use mine for just about everything, if it has a 1/4" shank it is used with the impact instead of a drill. That includes drilling holes. I have even used it to drill large deep holes with a forestner bit. I had to drill 2 1/2" holes 8" deep so I put a hex to 3/8" socket adapter on, then and 8" extension then a 7/16" socket and inserted the hex end of the forestner into that. Worked like a charm, actually drilled easier than with a regular drill

Comment

When framing with steel studs An impact driver makes the work much faster. I have used mine to remove my car door to fix the electrical problem. I barely use my 18v drill since i got the impact driver.

Simply put it is a wonderful tool to use!
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

WOW! Thanx guys!

I appreciate all the answers guys! Since I am only used to a drill I had no idea that an impact drill can be used like an older "deck" drill. OK, so now what do I do with the 18V Hammer Drill with the 22 position clutch? LOL!!!!

Until the next time, See Ya! Jerrold.

Comment

Working...
            X