X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one Shaper or 3 HP router

Thinking of a 3 HP router or a shaper table.

Looking at the Grizz shaper or Dewalt 3 hp any suggestions or is the 1 1/2 HP grizz shaper the best deal.

Looking at to do doors but not on a commericial bases.

Picture of shaper enclosed.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Reef12; 03-30-2006, 08:57 PM.
    Not responsible for speeling mistakes
    Jeff

last year i faced the same question. i went with a 3.5hp milwaukee. it has no problems cutting through for raised pannels. while buying the router, i decided to get the cmt industrio router table. it was a great investment.

Comment

I thought about the same, but for more versatility, I went with a PC 7518 and built a NYW router table with a Woodpecker top and Woodpecker PRL lift. Great setup. I can't say enough nice things about it.

Michael

Comment

Thanks for replies.

Any more feel the same way?

I am begining to lean torwards the Shaper myself as it can use the largest of bits as comapred to Router.

Plus the weight at 300# as compared to 150# is a big difference.

ARRR
        Jeff

Comment

Reef12

In my opinion your statement of not planning on making raised panels on a production basis makes an easy choice, router and good table. This choice leaves you much more flexibility, you have a greater choice of bits plus they are much more economical than shaper bits, greater and variable speed of the router allow you to optimize the speed for small or large profile bits and you can always pull it out of the table when needed. Any of the big dog routers will allow you to make doors with ease; my personal choice for a table would be the Milwaukee. The DeWalt is arguably the best plunge router on the market but may not be the best choice for a table, I have one and it is a joy to use, very smooth and gobs of power. As far as which table to put it in most prefer to make their own but if time constraints prevent that I would suggest visiting a Woodcraft, they usually have a few of the leading brands set up so you can actually get a feel for what you would be plopping down your hard earned cash for. I ended up with the Jessem model, which I’m quite happy with.

Good luck with your choice

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer
            Reef12

In my opinion your statement of not planning on making raised panels on a production basis makes an easy choice, router and good table. This choice leaves you much more flexibility, you have a greater choice of bits plus they are much more economical than shaper bits, greater and variable speed of the router allow you to optimize the speed for small or large profile bits and you can always pull it out of the table when needed. Any of the big dog routers will allow you to make doors with ease; my personal choice for a table would be the Milwaukee. The DeWalt is arguably the best plunge router on the market but may not be the best choice for a table, I have one and it is a joy to use, very smooth and gobs of power. As far as which table to put it in most prefer to make their own but if time constraints prevent that I would suggest visiting a Woodcraft, they usually have a few of the leading brands set up so you can actually get a feel for what you would be plopping down your hard earned cash for. I ended up with the Jessem model, which I’m quite happy with.

Woodslayer
            Thanks woodslayer I have a table mounted router I made one years ago.

But was thinking of going the big hog route instead of well my 1 3/4 hp PC.

Will take your words to heart.
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer
              Reef12

Woodslayer

Woodslayer

I too have a Jessem model and am quite happy with it.... Did you use a Milwaukee in it and was it the 3 1/4 hp..... I got to get a bigger router for mine but havent decided between the Milwaukee or the Pc7518 any info on the Milwaukee would be helpfull in my decision.

mrlttlman

Comment

Mrlttlman

I’ve used a 2 ¼ hp Makita in mine for a couple of years simply because it was the only router I owned when I bought the table and it worked flawlessly until it recently developed a intermittent problem with the speed control. I then plopped my 2 ¼ hp Milwaukee in the table and have been very pleased with it. Unlike the Makita, which had a tendency to alter the height of the bit ever so slightly when you latched the clamp the Milwaukee stays right where you adjusted it to and has a much finer adjustment mechanism. The toughest test I have given the Milwaukee so far was running about 70 feet of Hickory through a ¾ bead bullnose bit in one pass and the router never missed a beat. I have read several reviews of the Big Dog routers in various magazines in the last couple of years and they have all declared the 3 ½ hp Milwaukee as the best router for a table, the PC was the gold standard for quite some time but has not evolved and kept up with the features that the Milwaukee has. If raised panels were in my future the 5625 Milwaukee is what I would have in my table. If you’re not in a hurry, keep an eye on this place, a couple times a year for the last couple of years they have put it on sale for under $200.

Woodslayer

http://www.heavydutytools.net/Script...p?idproduct=99

Comment

Woodslayer

I too have a makita slapped in mine, havent had the bit change height yet... but i have mine put in the routr-lift (just love that thing)......Thanks for the info on the 5625 they have on sale for $266.00 . That sure beats the Pc7518 at almost 350.00..... I better get one don't want to kill that poor makita on oak raised panels.

Once again thanks for the info.

Mrlttlman

Comment

A better price can be had at Amazon right now, $280 - $25 instant rebate. You can also receive another $30 off if you sign up for one of their charge cards if that is of any interest (no pun intended) to you. If you’re not familiar with Amazon they sometimes play games when you check the free shipping option, the delivery date will usually change to a couple days later but sometimes it still ships the next day and sometimes they sit on it for quite some time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Woodslayer

Comment

Thanks for all the relies but that darn Griz Shaper is still looking sweet at a tad over $200.00 more and the weight at 300# is pushing me.

Thanks Woodslayer that is one heck of a Router.
                      Do I need to add a Hydraulic lift to get it up in their

Just kidding Wood
                      Jeff

Comment

Reef: IMHO a router and table is a substitute for a shaper. If I had the choice I would go with the "real" thing.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X