X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14.4 impact driver - actual torque

My wife recently purchased a 14.4 ridgid impact driver for me from HD. Sweet gal!

My question - it shows a 1400 in/lb torque rating, which would convert over to approx 116 ft/lb.

The one I have is lucky to turn 45-50 ft/lb max.

Did I get a bad one?
    Will it get stronger once the battery cycles through a few times?
    Is the torque rating somehow applied differently to these types of drivers?

Thanks in advance,
    Nosrac

Nosrac

May I ask how you tested it? Of the three magazine comparisons of Impact Drivers I’ve read they only stated the manufactures claimed max torque and in no way attempted to verify or dispute their claims which would make me tend to believe that either it would not be very easy or not an economical process to accomplish. We have very expensive torque calibrators at my place of employment and proper operation calls for slowly increasing the torque to the required load and I would hesitate to attach an impact device to them due to the continuous hammering action.

Woodslayer

Comment

I wonder if one of those digital torque testers could be used to measure the max developed torque of a cordless drill/driver or impact. They might have a HOLD feature on them that would lock in the highest reading, or use a digital torque sensor like Snap-on or Craftsman sells.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

nothing that fancy..

I used my atv lug nuts.. tighten and loosened with one of my craftsman torque wrenches.

I would be concerned about error if the values where somewhat close, but the tightest the impact puts them on is just under 50 (tested by noting torque required to either loose or tighten fastener). In reverse, I also tighted several down to 50 with my torque wrench, and the impact cannot budge them off.

Thanks
        Nosrac

Comment

either yours is cooked or the battery is not charged fully. I was curious to find out what my 14.4 would do so I just tried it on my van lugs. Checked how tight they were with a torque wrench set to 100 ft lb. The impact easily removed them. I put the lug back on with the impact and let it chatter for a few seconds after the socket stopped turning. I started with the torque wrench set at 50 ft lbs and went to tighten the lugs. I had to adjust it to 95 ft lb before the lug would turn without tripping the torque limit on the wrench. I imagine you could get the lugs tighter if you let it hammer more but 90 ft lbs is plenty for driving screws, deck bolts and lags.

Comment

hope it is not cooked - it has only seen the charger 2x.

I am going to cycle the battery a few times and see if it gets more life.

Heck, anything over 75 would be great in my book. This was picked up specifically to use while servicing some race atvs - tires, fenders, bumper bolts, skid plates, etc. At only 50, there are several things it wont even budge, but 90 would cover almost the entire bike. It wont see much if any wood work - almost 100% mechanical/garage use.

Thanks - I will try and let you guys know how the battery "burns in".

Nosrac

Comment

i was wondering if i had gotten a bad one as well. the rep at HD said that they drove 90 lags into a 6x6 at a demo on a single charge. i do carpentry and i just started a big 3 deck 2 story job the day before, so i bought one. i got her to the jobsite and i was lucky to drive a dozen 5 1/2" torx lags before she went dead, so then i thought that it might be because its new, so i killed the bat dead and charged it up, got about the same results. so then i went on here to see if the rep from HD just lubed me up or if it really is supposed to be great, read a few forums found out its the 'best tool in the world' and that it should be able to 'drive screws all day'. I went back to work and decided that all im going to do is drive screws to see if it lasts as long as some other guys have said that theirs does. i was driving 2 1/2" deck screws into 5/4 pine green treated for about 2 hours when she died. i kept using her and rotating to my delta 18v between charges, since they only give you ONE bat with the purchase, i could rant and rave about that alone all day but i wont.

another issue i was having is that it wasnt wanting to charge when i had the charger in the sun, it just kept blinking red (evaluating) but when i brought it down into the basement of the customers house it charged just fine (i will test this out again tomorrow to see if it was just a fluke or what). if the case is that it wont charge in the heat of the day i will bring it back and never buy a ridgid bat powered tool again.

wondering if anyone has the same issues as i do, thanks nick

Comment

Originally posted by xSTARKISTx
                another issue i was having is that it wasnt wanting to charge when i had the charger in the sun, it just kept blinking red (evaluating) but when i brought it down into the basement of the customers house it charged just fine (i will test this out again tomorrow to see if it was just a fluke or what). if the case is that it wont charge in the heat of the day

you said it .read the book that came with the tool and it will say that the battery needs to cool down befor you charge it . you may want to set the charger in the shade and not in the sun
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

it was 50-60*F out today, how is it going to charge when its like 80-90*F. it actually started out in the shade but it quickly got sunnier on the side of the house that i was on. i threw a flannel over the top of it as a lame attempt to shade it, but it probably just kept the heat in as much as it shaded it. i will tuck it in a corner where it will be full of shade all day tomorrow. i guess i just figured that no matter how much sun it got today it would be nothing compaired to the heat it will get durring the dead heat of the summer, but i suppose since the battery is painted BLACK of all colors, it acts like a solar magnet and just heats up while in the sunlight, no matter the actual temp. (within reason of course) they should color the bats orange instead, but thats a whole new topic.

thanks for pointing that out.

nick

Comment

nick,

I have the same impact driver , it took a few cycles of charging and then it started to work fine (lasted longer per charge) . We drove 2 inch lag screws all day long at our hunting lodge and it held right up to the makitas and dewalts . As far as the heat factor ,you may want to invest in the dual charger with the fan in it , awesome charger and cools batteries down quickly . Mine (dual charger)came with my kit with 18v cicular saw,drill,light , and angle impact driver for $299. Charger alone is $99.

Comment

fellas,you donot want to drain your battery completly dead.if you keep draining them completly dead the cells start to short out against each other.another point,these batterys like to slow charge.if you do these things they might last longer.
                      A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

i diddnt get a chance to try the charger in the shade today, i had to go tar a leaky basement , but i am going to go buy a 14.4v 1/2" drill today so i can get 2 more bats and the dual charger for my impact, and it has the better bats than what came with the impact. the 14.4 drill will be nice for hanging drywall overhead as well.

so you say killing them dead dead is no good, how dead is too dead? should i just charge it up when it cant drive a full screw? what i have been doing is after there isnt sufficient power i would prop it up so the trigger is pressed untill it stoped spinning then charge it. i did that because i thought they would develop a memory if you diddnt kill em before you charged em again. maby that was a bad idea?

thanks for the advice

nick

Comment

Originally posted by xSTARKISTx

so you say killing them dead dead is no good, how dead is too dead? should i just charge it up when it cant drive a full screw? what i have been doing is after there isnt sufficient power i would prop it up so the trigger is pressed untill it stoped spinning then charge it. i did that because i thought they would develop a memory if you diddnt kill em before you charged em again. maby that was a bad idea?

thanks for the advice

nick

NO NO NO

DO NOT DRAIN THEM ALL THE WAY. AS SOON AS THE DRILL STARTS SLOWING DOWN ,LET THE BATTERY COOL DOWN FIRST.

read the book that came with your drill they tell you what and what not to do!!!!!
                          Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 04-14-2006, 07:28 PM.
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

to tell you the truth i have never read a manual for a powertool that i own, i work in construction so i buy my tools for work, and most of the time i dont have time to read the manuals. i get off work, drive 40 miles to the nearest hardware store to buy tools, drive 40 miles back home, and about that time its time for bed. so i just plug em in and go. its the whole i needed it yesterday type thing. i heard the whole kill em dead thing from a couple of older guys on the jobsite saying that your supposed to do that so the bats dont develop a memory. it made sence to me cause the lady that sold me my cellphone at alltell told me the same for my cell, but she said to do it once in a while. but i suppose that my cell has a totally different bat system. im glad i did it only twice to that bat, ill never do that again. thank you. so when she starts to slow down, charge her up, got it.

thanks again for the advice, you probably just saved me ALOT of grief in the long run,

nick

Comment

Re: 14.4 impact driver - actual torque

Hi Norsac,

You may want to have the torque tested by a Calibration Lab to double check it's torque settings. When they test your torque they may be able to detect what's wrong with your tool and make recommendations on how to fix it or send it back to the manufacturer if it's under warranty.

You can check this company's link I've listed below. They offer tool repair and calibration. They may be able to help you diagnose the problem over the phone. Good luck!

http://www.flexibleassembly.com/Service-Calibration-Tab

Comment

Working...
                              X