X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated Router For Table?

Sometime down the road I plan on mounting a router to my router table and leaving it there. Currently I'm using a fixed/plunge router combo set which means I'm constantly moving the motor from one base to the other.

My question is this, do I really need a router with a rating of 3HP or more or can I just get away with buying another motor for the set I now have which is 1¾HP? I can see some obvious advantages to the larger router but for about half the money an extra motor may accomplish what I want. So, is there a distinct advantage for the average hobbyist to have one of those big boys or is it just a Tim Allen thing?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

until this last year BD i was doing the same with my 2 base PC. i was constantly changing the motors. i used the 1 3/4 pc to turn my raised panels with no problem other than having to take 3 passes to complete them. i didn't have a problem with that. right now i have a 3hp milwaukee router dedicated to my table and still take 2 passes to do the raised panel. it seems like the more passes that i do, the cleaner the cut. is your PC a variable speed? if it isn't, i would recomend buying a router or motor that is.

Comment

Hi BD , to answer your question if you intend to make raised panel doors with a nice coped frame you should consider a "big boy router" I have a 3 1/4 hp 5 speed PC for all of my small door jobs, it works great low speed for large panel raising bits higher for coping and edge work etc. When i need to build many doors I use my HD Delta shaper, but the router does an excellent job.Its slower than the shaper but the shaper was 1800 dollars i think i paid 359 for my router and bought a table for a bit more. So it boils down to what you will do with it. I would try to get on the cost has come down and once you make a frame and panel door you will agree. ( yes there are other ways to do the same task) good luck Anthony
      Last edited by AnthonyD; 04-13-2006, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Dave, yes your motor will work just fine. The bigger the cut needed just means more smaller cuts to achieve it. Raised panel bits will be the worst for you, just cut them in 3-4 passes and you wont have any problems.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I agree with papadan (sp? ) on the router HP speed. I have a small 1.35 HP and did about 13 feet of board over a 1" cove bit about 1.25" deep and boy did it take a LOT of passes. But I do not normally do that type of thing so talked myself out of a better router and have been doing fine since.

WWS
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

$15999

Comment

Lefty, that Hitachi actualy is one of the routers I was considering. Do you happen to have one mounted to a table? If so, how do you handle bit height adjustments? Without an aftermarket router lift system, my concern is that a plunge router might be a big pain to accurately set the bit height.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave,

I've set up the PC 31/4 plunge with the RouterRaizer system into my wing and have realized I've got more machine and $$$ than need. At the time these new routers, http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4854,
                weren't available and now I think that this is the way I'd go. I haven't seen anything more than an ad in Wood mag but the new Freud router has several of the same features which look quite useful!

Comment

BD

Like the others have already stated as long as your router has variable speed it will produce the same end result provided you are willing to expend the increased time and effort. One consideration is the design of your table; will it handle the significant added weight of a 3+hp router hanging in it all the time without compromising the flatness of the top? Personally I say go for the big dog, you only live once and it is always fun to grunt like Tool Man after hogging off a substantial amount of stock in one pass.

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
                    Lefty, that Hitachi actualy is one of the routers I was considering. Do you happen to have one mounted to a table? If so, how do you handle bit height adjustments? Without an aftermarket router lift system, my concern is that a plunge router might be a big pain to accurately set the bit height.
                    Well... It's only a plunge router as long as you let it be. A wench, a hammer, some glue and some imagination? Tear out the springs? A refitting of a nut/washer assembly on the threaded adjustment bolt attached to the router base? Hey, it's only $160

Comment

That Hitachi -- one heck of a deal!

I bought one of those some ten years ago and paid a well over $200 for it. Here's the deal, though. I've since bought a smaller router (Milw with the hand-grip) to do 90% of my work with because the Green Machine is just too dang heavy. It's powerful, but hard to handle on any job that you don't have great access to.

I actually use my tiny-but-mighty B&D laminate-trimmer router for a lot of stuff that might seen to be overworking it, but in the ten years I've been abusing it, it has never complained.

So thanks, you guys, for the great idea of what to do with the Green Beast. It's going to do upside-down duty from now on!
                      Unanswered Questions
                      are far less dangerous
                      than Unquestioned Answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Lucy

have to agree was going to snatch one up myself great reviews on it nothing bad that I have read.

Go for it BadgerDave

Have to say a least 2 3/4 Hp at least.

Unless you like making 1/8 cuts all day
                        Last edited by Reef12; 04-20-2006, 08:47 PM.
                        Not responsible for speeling mistakes
                        Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X