Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS fences: front-only clamp or front/back?

I'm looking at replacing my trusty 40 yr old contractor's saw with a TS3650. But then I keep reading on other forums that any GOOD fence clamps only to the front rail. (Like a Beis, of course.) The fence on the demo model TS3650 slides smooth as silk, and it clamps beautifully, and as close as I can read with a tape measure, the same each time no matter how "carelessly" I slide and clamp it.

So . . . can any of your experts out there give me an objective reason why a front-clamping-only fence is better? Please note that I am NOT trying to compare a Beis fence with the Ridgid or Sears 22114. I'm only trying to decide between the ones I can justify buying. I really like everything else about the TS3650, but I'd hate to buy it and then end up replacing the fence later on.

The only real reason I've read so far is that most front/rear fences need to be slid off the end of the rails to remove the fence. The TS3650 lifts straight up. My ancient fence needs to slide off the rails, and that IS a pain.
    Unanswered Questions
    are far less dangerous
    than Unquestioned Answers.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to experience with different fence and rail systems. On the other hand, I can share this with you. In the 3+ years that I have been using the RIDGID fence and rail system I have yet to experience a single problem with mine, nada, none, zilch, zero!
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Don't know of anyone that has had to replace a Ridgid fence. They work great.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I agree. Never had a problem with the Ridgid fence on my TS3650.
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by hiloguy
          The fence on the demo model TS3650 slides smooth as silk, and it clamps beautifully, and as close as I can read with a tape measure, the same each time no matter how "carelessly" I slide and clamp it.
          Well that is a first, between the shoddy assembly at HD and the abuse they receive from kids doing chin-ups on the rails and such the floor model is usually quite maladjusted. My best guess is that the stock fence on the 3650 would probably suffice for all but the most discriminating buyer but if any 3650 owner was offered a chance to trade for a complimentary Biesemeyer the offer would be accepted.

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer
            Well that is a first, between the shoddy assembly at HD and the abuse they receive from kids doing chin-ups on the rails and such the floor model is usually quite maladjusted. My best guess is that the stock fence on the 3650 would probably suffice for all but the most discriminating buyer but if any 3650 owner was offered a chance to trade for a complimentary Biesemeyer the offer would be accepted.

Woodslayer
            I think the 3650 is a decent stock fence, but I've read of several that have upgraded to a Biese, Vega, or Incra and had complimentary things to say about the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer
              My best guess is that the stock fence on the 3650 would probably suffice for all but the most discriminating buyer but if any 3650 owner was offered a chance to trade for a complimentary Biesemeyer the offer would be accepted.
              Cmon, be fair? That an obvious apples to oranges comparison.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
              X