X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v dual charger

I purchased an 18 volt power tool set from the Home Depot about 2 years ago. throughout the length of the time I have owned the tools, they have been great. Unfortunately just recently the Battery Charger has completely died... Now here is my problem. I took the charger back to The Home Depot to have it serviced and they said that they can not fix it. So i looked at it myself, and unfortunately Ridgid used special screws that look somewhat like a Torx bit with a little dimple in the middle of it, so needless to say, i can not get into the dang thing to try to fix it myself. When i purchased the 3 Piece Ridgid set I recieved a lifetime warranty with it.. I remember them telling me to be sure to keep the reciept in order to ever use the warranty. Well, i have kept the reciept, however since the Home Depot uses thermal paper to make their reciepts, now after two years my Reciept has faded to just about nothing, I can hardly make out anything that was originally on there.... so now my problem is... how to charge my batteries without any help??????? The Home Depot cant help me and Ridgid wont except my worn reciept!!! what the heck should i do?

i believe the screws your talking about are called safety torx, talk to an auto mechanic about getting a safety torx bit, or you might be able to buy them yourself at an auto parts store. i cant find them in my area, but then again i have to drive 40 miles to town. i could be wrong about their name, but thats what a mechanic buddy of mine called em once. it could be slang or some kind of garage lingo as well, all i know is what he said.

nick

Comment

sounds like you blew a fuse . Get inside ,when you get that special bit , replace the fuse and it should fire back up for you .

Comment

Tamper-resistant Torx

Many Mom&Pop hardware store have kits of these. I found a huge set of tamper-resistant bits in the Funky Tools toolbin at an out-of-the-way hardware store in rural AZ. It may have been a True Value store. Also check plumbing stores as Zurn automatic flush modules require tamper-resistant Allen wrenches. They are out there, just not at HD. My 24 bit set w/ bit holder in red rubber box is about half the size of a pack of smokes, for about 8bucks. -Elvin

Comment

or.....

Or you can take a centerpunch and knock off the "tit" and then use a regular Torx. These are often used to hold the partitions together in public restrooms. And can occasionally be found on RV's. The kit noted above has also been seen in a black rubber box, and the set includes the tamper bits for Otis Elevators, and a weird 3 bladed Phillips. I'll try to remember to bring my set home to scan & post, so you'll have a better idea as to what to look for.

[now that I'm thinking of elevators....pushing the # button of the floor you want to get to a zillion times won't get you there any faster, but pushing the "close door" button, will.][additionally, there is a light beam that extends ceiling to floor inside the doors. ANYTHING breaking the beam, your thrown car keys for example, will open a closing door]

Comment

Re: 18v dual charger

Tamper-resistant torx bit set from Harbor Freight with about 20 bits were less than $10.00

Comment

NorthernTool has a nice set for pretty cheap as well. I have used the punch trick as well to flatten the tit in the middle, it works ok. In all honesty, buy one of the new chargers. They work alot better in my opinion, heck, buy the 179.00 drill/impact combo kit, 2 new LI-batteries and two new much nicer units, and the batteries will work much better on those old tools.

I am pretty sure there is a replaceable fuse though.

Comment

You may have missed that the original post regarding the charger was from 2006... I'm sure it's either trash by now or the guy's figured it out.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  You may have missed that the original post regarding the charger was from 2006... I'm sure it's either trash by now or the guy's figured it out.

CWS
                  Doah.....

Comment

Working...
                  X