Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting marble?

Hello-

I have an old marble sink top vanity that I would like to use in a bathroom that I am remodeling. In order to fit, it will need to be cut as it is too long from side to side. What are my options for cutting the marble? I have a Rigid worm drive circular saw...it there a specialty blade I can get? Looking for some suggestions.

Thanks!

teo, i've done this many times. i use a "mk" 4.5'' tile saw. it looks like a circular saw and spins at 10,000 rpm. cuts fast and clean. i use water to keep the blade cool and dust down. makes a very clean cut.

a 7.25'' skill saw will cut the marble too. the blade should be a "turbo rim" style. a segmented tooth will be to ruff. use a wet sponge or spray bottle to keep it cool and dust free.

diamond blades have come down in cost big time over the last few years. so a decent blade will cost you approx. $30. years ago this would have been $100. plus

also a 4.5'' grinder with diamond balde will cut just as easy as the saw, but tuffer to keep it square.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick-

Thanks for your prompt reply! I still have a couple Q's What is "mk"? Milwaukee? Also, which out of those methods do you most recommend? I want a nice clean, straight and smooth cut. I am assuming I will need to sand the edges after cutting, how have you sanded in the past?

Thanks again!

Comment

Is it marble or cultured marble?
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD
          Is it marble or cultured marble?

Not really sure....how can I make that determination? And what are the implications if it is one or the other?

Comment

Is the sink and counter all one? Looking at the bottom do you see bubbles in it?
            SSG, U.S. Army
            Retired
            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD
              Is the sink and counter all one? Looking at the bottom do you see bubbles in it?
              The sink and counter are separate. Or more correctly I should say that they can be separated. I cannot look at it now as I am not at home to inspect for bubbles.

Comment

''mk'' is a company based in torrance, calif. they make every kind of saw and blade for concrete , tile, marble, stone, ect. do a google search for mk saw.

i would use my 4.5'' tile saw first since i have it. then a 4.5'' grinder. and last my 7.25'' skill saw. a proper blade will keep the polishing to a minimum. use water and the proper blade. support the cut to keep from breaking off.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X