Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't afford a table saw so i was going to make my own.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If your main concern is space, I highly HIGHLY recommend the Ridgid TS2400 - When you've got it standing up in the storage position, it doesn't even take up two square feet of floorspace, and all the accessories have storage space on the saw; I just got done using it as a stand for my miter saw too (very confined space) and it worked beautifully. I know that $400+ is a lot to drop on a saw, but (as I'm sure PapaDan will agree) it is a precision tool that will last you many years, and will take up no more space (probably even less) than what ever table you build for your CS. If storage/work space is the deciding factor, then the 2400 is your best bet.

    EDIT: BTW I too once thought of attemping this, so if you end up going through with it, post some pics.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
      .... The work table however is still on my mind a lot. I just enjoy finding a solution to something and coming up with my own idea's. ...
      Hey Sparky, what about buying the $100 saw and buiding your work table around it. And maybe, you could use the saw fence fore the adjoining router table.

      Comment


      • #18
        I did think about a portable table saw but i don't have a way to keep it from my son until i make or buy some gate's for inside the house. I did buy the Skil saw and it came with a hard case i can put a lock on. Today i got a ton of free wood from some carpenters/ cabinet makers. Some of this wood will become a high chair for my son.

        With some scrap conduit from an old house i made a power strip with a GFCI, duplex, switch, and switched outlet. I put my shopvac and the saw on it with a 1000 watt light plugged into the un-switched side. In all i spent 4 dollars to make this.
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

        Comment


        • #19
          Grin and bear it...

          Buy the 3650.
          Build a wood top for it and some stools.
          Use it for a dining table with the top on and as a saw with the top off.
          Build the top quickly, tell your wife you bought her a new dining table.
          When she asks about the orange legs, change the subject.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by georgeburns
            Buy the 3650.
            Build a wood top for it and some stools.
            Use it for a dining table with the top on and as a saw with the top off.
            Build the top quickly, tell your wife you bought her a new dining table.
            When she asks about the orange legs, change the subject.
            exactly I can always make the legs look like wood And the wheels will make it mobile so she or i can mop the floor easier as for the funny noises That just me stomach
            "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
            "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

            Comment


            • #21
              You need to check out http://www.eurekazone.com for a guide saw system.
              There is a forum about them at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26. If you read there you will see a lot of talk about replacing tablesaws with the guided saw systems.

              Since you have a circular saw all you need is a guide, and the plate to attach you saw on the guide. You might want the cabinet makers set or perhaps just a repeater or two. Read up on them this might be the answer to your problem.

              As for a cutting table many on the forum use guide on a sheet of foam. You set the blade to cut through your material and just into the foam. You can cut and tape the foam into 2ft by 4ft pieces that will fold together into a package only four times the thickness of the foam your using. Once it is laid out on the floor your free to cut.

              The plate that attaches to the bottom of you circular saw forms a zero clearance insert around your blade so tear out is totally eliminated. People have been reporting cuts smoother than a table saw using a forester WW2 blade.
              Check them out.
              RevEd
              Rev Ed

              Comment


              • #22
                Thanks for all the input about my question/idea.

                I just finished it today
                Here it's set up in the kitchen under some better light.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	0fe804485e03bf732e13489c6e9bf147.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	209
                Right after taking this picture i remembered the 1/2" 1 hole straps.
                I have some wire wraped around the trigger so the switched outlet powers the saw.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	c570257506f36fc92017b0acf61c2c82.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	210
                This also makes a really nice mitre saw table, which has a 3'8" extension.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	294547fed003227c38fd99dfeb0f8a0a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	212
                It all folds up to 4 feet wide 3' tall and less than a foot thick. And my wife let me keep it inside.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	606c659b30bcfeddc9a947e5c8216ae5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	211
                "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

                Comment


                • #23
                  oh ya, I'm going to replace that romex with 1' of 12 AWG extension cord wire.
                  "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                  "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                    I just finished it today
                    Here it's set up in the kitchen under some better light.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	0fe804485e03bf732e13489c6e9bf147.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	209
                    Right after taking this picture i remembered the 1/2" 1 hole straps.
                    I have some wire wraped around the trigger so the switched outlet powers the saw.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	c570257506f36fc92017b0acf61c2c82.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	210
                    This also makes a really nice mitre saw table, which has a 3'8" extension.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	294547fed003227c38fd99dfeb0f8a0a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	212
                    It all folds up to 4 feet wide 3' tall and less than a foot thick. And my wife let me keep it inside.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	606c659b30bcfeddc9a947e5c8216ae5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	211
                    very nice..

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      So why did you go through all that time to make somthing bigger than the portable table saw? Now that you have this in your appartment, how long do you take to set up? What keeps you from cuting your fingers?
                      If the women don't find ya Handsome they should at least find ya Handy.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Handy Andy
                        So why did you go through all that time to make somthing bigger than the portable table saw? Now that you have this in your appartment, how long do you take to set up? What keeps you from cuting your fingers?
                        1. I only spent around 60 bucks and I didn't have a place to lock up the portable table saw. I do have a couch i am going to get rid of so the table can be stored there.

                        2. it takes about 10 minutes to get the table unfolded and the saw screwed in place.

                        3. I don't need to cut any peices that are smaller than 2". And if i did I'd lower the blade and used a scrap peice to hold the wood down in place as i cut it.
                        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X