Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't afford a table saw so i was going to make my own.

My problem is i have little space in my apartment and can't leave my tools in the landlords garage or shed, since his son will mess with them.
    I am planning on making a portable work table for my miter saw and have an insert made later for a circular saw to become a table saw and later an insert for router if i can. I'm still going over the way it will be in my head and on paper.

Has anyone else ever tried this or thought of it?
    Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 04-18-2006, 11:05 PM.
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

[quote=Polar Sparky 1224]Now for those that will immediately say this is stupid, unsafe, and you're going kill people. Just ignore this thread. quote]

OK
    Last edited by Lorax; 04-18-2006, 10:49 PM.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

P.S. Have not seen one in years, but used to be able to buy a set up like the Black and decker workmate. It was made to attach a CS under it and use as a TS. Maybe a google search would find if anyone still makes them.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

A while back one of the WW magazines did an article on how to build a TS using your circular saw but I can’t recall which one. I think the scary part would be having to reach under to turn and lock on the saw and a lack of quick shutdown in the event that an unsafe situation arises. Another concern would be the requirement that the insert be extremely tight to prevent any movement, even the slightest amount of play would allow the blade to shift faster than you could think the words kick back.

Woodslayer

Comment

hey polar i have to say that wood slayer is right on this i have tried that before and scary is an understatement.but i would sujest a delta bench top table saw ace has them all the time for $99 bucks and for the money arent bad saws but you get what you pay for is true as well. also they fit in a closet fairly easy.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Table saw idea

Hey Polar,
            Here's a couple thoughts for you. A table saw is a centerpiece in most workshops and a really good one is indespensable so . . . I would recommend against trying to put one together from a circular saw and an insert. It just isn't going to do the things you want it to do and it will end up frustrating you no end. Also, one day, you and RFL and son will be moving out of apartment and into a house and then that table saw is really going to be in use when you own the four walls and a roof protecting your family. Save your creative mind for something like building yourself a really nice router table. See last fall's issue of Shop Notes for a whole issue on building one and taking care of a router. Now if you're still intent on needing a table saw now, why not look at DeWalt's No. 744 portable job site table saw. I have one and it is just great. You can throw it in the truck and take it to a job or set it up on a Black and Decker Workmate and use it in your present garage. They can be had on E-bay for around $260. I bought mine new for about $450. Worth every penny. Now I read the thread about your landlord's kid messing with stuff in the storage area or the garage. Two simple possible solutions -- lock that sucker up. The 744 has a provision for a lock through the red switch in front. Just went out in my garage and checked this to make sure. You can get yourself a nice Master L. at K-Mart or Menards or Home Despot and stick it through the switch. If you don't like that idea, try locking the cord itself. I checked on this one and it also will work. The 744 is double insulated and both prongs of the plug have a small hole that you can fit a small Master Lock used for luggage through one of the prongs. That way, the kid can't even plug the thing into an outlet. (I've used this trick on my computer when I wanted to keep our two rugrats off my new HP. ) I don't know about your financial situation, but maybe you'd want to save up your pennies and buy yourself a nice TS like the DeWalt 744. It weighs about 65 pounds and is really easy to pick up and move around. No sweat. Just a couple ideas for you to mull over. And I agree, scary wouldn't begin to define the use of an upside down circular saw in a makeshift operation. You're also going to have to figure out a splitter to set up behind the blade as the wood is pushed through, and setting up an accurate fence to the right (or left) of the blade could become a real issue. The 744 has an awesome fence set up on a rack and pinion system and it is extremely accurate and lets me nibble off some really small amounts of material if I need to make something fit. Hope this helps.
            Jim D.

Comment

jim the only reason i sujested the delta was it was drit cheap and might work with his needs till he has more space or a place of his own then he could sell it for 25-50 bucks as that would not be such a big loss in money.polar i know what it is like to rent and yes it sucks but IMHO i would not spent more then $200 on a table saw in your prsent living arangement. just me though.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Table Saw

Dear Old Slow,
                I wasn't trying to rain on your parade at all. Just trying to give Polar some other options too. I don't think the Delta would be a bad choice at all for the money. And still a MUCH better option than hooking a Circ. saw upside down to a table. I was just looking at it from a standpoint that another $150 and he could have something that would last him a long time.
                Jim D.

Comment

thats cool i just wanted to be the one with all the good ideas ................ wimper
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I am planning on using this same table for a miter saw stand with an extension that will stick 3-4' out the side. That was the original idea and then i though about using this table to make and insert with the circular saw and/or a router set into it. This way i can make some simple things for my wife and son. I will have a switched outlet attached to the table feeding through a gfci. I was also going over how to make a switch i had to stand on for the saw to work. My goal is that when i get into a house i will still use the circular saw for it regular intended purpose. I'd then buy the Ridgid 3650 and star setting up a shop in what used to be the garage in my future house.

The piece for the saw to sit in will have a metal plate over the top with some wood cut down with a slot for the base to slide into. with 1/4 inch all thread the insert will be secured to the table and held straight with a few clamps or carriage bolts with large washer and wing nuts.

on April 25 i can get a Skil saw for 31.92 before tax and Since the tool is made in the USA, it should last for some time. My dad had one and lets put it this way, I can remember when i was learning to crawl but i don't remember when it got his Skil saw. I have a great long term memory just don't ask me what i did for work yesterday.

Comment

Oh and for child safety i do have a cabinet that all my tools fit in so i can lock that. I have two tool box's and a hard case for my jigsaw that all have locks that won't work I'll put my tools above the kitchen cabinets for a while.

Comment

The reality is that with a stable saw blade, flat table top,.and solid accurate fence, what you propose is doable and will be limited by the size of the top, capacity of the fence, and power of the saw. That said, by the time you manufacture (or buy) a fence rail system, you will spend as much as you would for a cheap table saw. That doesn't include miter guage capability.And, you still won't have a splitter/blade guard (which is why it gets "scary", and for good reason. A circular saw cuts off fingers just as fast as a 10" table saw)
                        My dad had one of the items as PapaDan mentioned. It works, has the safety features, amd will work for projects not requiring accuracy. I used it everytime I visited and repaired stuff around the house after he died (nothing to do with the saw!!) Won't do cabinet grade work, and to be honest, after using it a few times, I went to clamps/straight edges and using the circular saw without the table. A piece of 3/4 ply + a 2 x 4 and a couple of c-clamps on a couple of cheap saw horses was cheaper and just as accurate. If you have to rip 2 x 4's, just buy one 2 x 8 and use it to clamp the guide to. Anything thinner, rip a piece off the 3/4 ply wide enough to support the saw base.
                        Altho I would definitely opt for the TS3650, for your present situation, the TS2400 is an excellent saw, portable, storable, and may be all that you really need now and in the future beings you have a full time "day job" and it can also do cabinet grade work, both for your present home and the new one. Don't know about the $99 Delta, but it may do what you need now. After you get into the new home, post it on e-bay and then buy the TS3650 if that will be a better saw for you then (although some of the people on this forum do awesome work with the TS2400).
                        Before I moved here, I had a cheap table saw, but bought a good PC circular saw and went the sawhorse/plywood route for everything except building cabinets for the garage where I needed the dado and molding heads (My router is c##p and good bits cost as much as saw blades, so I don't use it much) I now have the TS3650 and IMHO it was worth waiting for. (I gave my older brother my cheap table saw when I moved which serves him right for breakin' a Louisville Slugger bat over my head when we were kids! but that's another story and might be a reason for you to ignore this post!!) However, I also had bought an MSUV for my miter saw, and I think that's what made the difference in me me deciding to wait.. By mounting the power bench tools on a 3/4 plywood base, it was easy to change them out and use them on the MSUV
                        You've got a lot of choices, but I would hate to see you hurt yourself or to buy junk that won't do what you need. With wood working, there are always alternative methods (ie routers for dadoes vs dado blades, Handsaw, vs circular saw vs table saw, miter saw vs hand saw vs table saw, etc, etc ).
                        Good luck. I will tell you that altho you may THINK you know what you'll need in a new house, the other parts of the equation (i.e wife & son ) will probably throw you some totally unexpected curves. And that part doesn't improve with age!!
                        Hope this helps
                        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                          .... i can get a Skil saw for 31.92 before tax and Since the tool is made in the USA, it should last for some time. ....

Beats the snot out of one made in Tiwan, huh?

Comment

To me this is fun so i do have an ulterior motive . I know all about having a kid 5000 dollars would be Nice to have in my bank account still, and when my wife starts working Friday graveyard shifts that will help too. As much as i like the idea of a table saw for around $100. I may still go that way if i can talk my wife into it. The work table however is still on my mind a lot. I just enjoy finding a solution to something and coming up with my own idea's. I have some thin sheet metal i can make a blade guard with, but i have never been cut by a saw blade of any kind. I never cut things in a way that my body would be the tools path. The table saw would be nice and if i had to i could put a special cord end on it so it can't be plugged into any normal outlet.

After doing a week of electrical work you need to do something else for a bit.

Comment

I would be careful of throwing the 31 dollars away on a skil. Your fathers saw was from a different time when even skil made a better quality tool. Things have changed and if you are planning to use it like you have mentioned I doubt it will fit the bill and if you go up in quality in a cs you go up in price and again can buy a cheaper table saw for the same as a good cs.

Comment

Working...
                              X