TS flatness fanatics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS flatness fanatics?

Many years ago I did a lot of work as a machinist where very close tolerances were the norm in a day's work. Like +/- .0001. Now I'm hearing all this dialogue about TS tables that need to be within .001" of true flat. I'm reading in this forum that one should never use a grinder to remove rust from an iron machine table because it will compromise the flatness of the table.

So here's one for the experts: Just how important is +/- 001" tolerance when we're working with wood that will shrink/grow more than that with a shift in the weather? I build furniture in which close (for woodworking) tolerance is essential, but +/- .001"?

Also, not every having been exposed before to the importance of maintainingg a TS table to that of a precision milling machine, I've been using a 7" grinder and 180 grit (on a foam-backed wheel) on my old TS for some 40 years now. Today, I checked it with a machinist's straightedge (18") and I could not see even a hiint of daylight under the straightedge anywhere. Granted, I've been careful to use even pressure and never use the edge of the wheel, but even so, I did use a grinder. That poor old TS has lived a few blocks from the ocean for the last 20 years, and I occasionally forget to spray on the WD-40 when I'm not going to use it for a few days. That's all it takes for another ugly accumulation of rust.

So anyway, just how important are these tolerances? I can understand the need for close tolerances on parallelism of components and in the flatness of the rip fence, but please give us some Real Wisdom on this table-surface thing.
    Unanswered Questions
    are far less dangerous
    than Unquestioned Answers.

0.001" tolerance for flatness seems extreme. I'll bet that's tighter than any manufacturer's specs....maybe even tenfold tighter. It's far more important to get the blade aligned correctly than have a flat table IMO.

Comment

I agree that .001" is way too close. I think one person said he called the company (Ridgid) and they had a .016" tolerance (approx 1/64" for non-machinists). I personally think that is reasonable for a maximum deviation, but depending on where it is, 1/64" can mean extra work and tools. 1/64" off on the flatness of a glue line for edge jointing hardwood can mean a bad joint, and the deviation could be up to double that combining the two edges to be glued. If someone is spending $100 for a fine blade on his "cabinet-grade" saw not to have to go those steps or buy those tools, I think he has a right to be upset if the saw won't deliver a cabinet-grade cut.
      One area where the 1/64 can cause major problems is at the front/rear corner of the main table where it mates with the wings. That edge can gouge a piece of veneer ply past the point of recovery.
      But, lets face it: I doubt anyone (except maybe Lorax, Badger Dave, etc) on this forum meets that tolerance all the way around their inserts, especially if its homemade. And we all have these big 3/4" grooves running down the table called miter slots. Its not the depth as much as it is the surface area of the deviation that will cause a problem, and then it has to be in a critical location.
      In summary, I agree with you. If someone is using their table for flattening hand plane soles, or to "scary sharpen" plane irons and chisels, that really isn't its intended purpose. IMHO, I think .016" (not .001) is reasonable for small defects in a saw under $1000, but I also am VERY glad that mine has none close to that. I guess that's why I'm so happy with my TS3650, because it has exceeded my expectations.
      my $.002 worth
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I've never checked the flatness of my table. Never had a reason to.
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
        X