X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press and Bandsaw

Looking for good, medium-duty (basement tinkering/workshop) drill press and bandsaw. The thing is I want to work with steel and most of what I see in Home Depot is mostly for wood or at most aluminum/thin mild steel.
    Want to keep prices at around $300-400 for each piece. I currently only have 110 outlets but there is a 220V welder outlet about 15 feet away I could use too. Any suggestions?

Also looking for advice on a drill press that could be used as an end mill too but I understand those are about double the price

Originally posted by newbie
    Looking for good, medium-duty (basement tinkering/workshop) drill press and bandsaw. The thing is I want to work with steel and most of what I see in Home Depot is mostly for wood or at most aluminum/thin mild steel.
    Want to keep prices at around $300-400 for each piece. I currently only have 110 outlets but there is a 220V welder outlet about 15 feet away I could use too. Any suggestions?

Also looking for advice on a drill press that could be used as an end mill too but I understand those are about double the price

If you want good- pay top dollar. Don't shoot yourself in the head before you even start your new project. Home Depot sells Ridgid so at most be prepared to catch the big one here. What kind of welding do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by tkholck
      If you want good- pay top dollar.
      I'm realizing that more and more as I go look at the cheap stuff. I figured 3-400 bucks was going to get me out of the "Junk range" but maybe not. On the other hand, it's possible to spend just about any amount of money on any given tool. I'm hoping there's a happy medium somewhere.

Originally posted by tkholck
      Don't shoot yourself in the head before you even start your new project. Home Depot sells Ridgid so at most be prepared to catch the big one here. What kind of welding do you do?
      I'm a very bad MIG welder.

Oh, you probably asked because I mentioned the outlet. That was there when I bought the house. My unit is a Lincoln 100 fluxcore wire fed (runs off normal 110V 15A outlet). I have the gas kit but no gas bottle so I haven't used it yet.
      Last edited by newbie; 04-28-2006, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I'm a very bad MIG welder.

Oh, you probably asked because I mentioned the outlet. That was there when I bought the house. My unit is a Lincoln 100 fluxcore wire fed (runs off normal 110V 15A outlet). I have the gas kit but no gas bottle so I haven't used it yet.
        i switched to gas mig. even 100% co2 on steel works great. love the clean bead and no flux to chip. make sure to swap the polarity when you switch to gas. looking for a tig machine that's both ac and dc. need to do aluminum.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I thought you could do aluminum on a mig with the right wire + shielding gas?

Comment

Any hoo

Any advice on good, not too expensive drill presses and bandsaws? Does Sears have anything worth looking at? I get all my standard hand tools there

Comment

I thought you could do aluminum on a mig with the right wire + shielding gas?
              you can do aluminum with the proper mig set up. your machine is not the proper unit for this. it's best to use a spool gun since the wire is very soft and your machine is too little to run the proper wire and liner.

i own both the ridgid drill press and band saw. not bad for the work i do.

my buddy owns a full blown machine shop. he has everything you could ever dream of there.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X