Ridgid 24V Lithium Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the Battery on the 18volts

It looks like a close fit. Has anyone looked to see if the 24 volt battery is the same size connection as the 18 volt. If it is, I can't see any real harm in getting a battery or two to put toward my 18 volt collection. I've seen it done with some difficulty to Dewalt tools. I was also a little disappointed that there wasn't anything new in the collection. I'm happy with my 18 volter's, so I guess I'll wait.
    Kilroy was here!

Comment

Ok the other day when i was at work i opened up the new 24V set and tried to interchange the batteries. Here's the results.

The 18V Ni-Cads WILL fit in the new 24V tools and work just fine from what i tested but the 24V Lithium Ion batteries WILL NOT fit into the 18V tools.

So i haven't heard any offical word from Ridgid if thats the way it should be but i'm assuming it was designed like that.

Comment

Assessment Correct

Your 18v NiCad batteries will work with the XLi tools. While the tools are optimized for 24v, you should be satisfied with with their performance should you find the need to use the 18v pack. You are also correct in saying that the XLi battery will not retrofit into any existing 18v tools. Thanks for your support of RIDGID.

Comment

Originally posted by cellardoor
          Ok the other day when i was at work i opened up the new 24V set and tried to interchange the batteries. Here's the results.

The 18V Ni-Cads WILL fit in the new 24V tools and work just fine from what i tested but the 24V Lithium Ion batteries WILL NOT fit into the 18V tools.

So i haven't heard any offical word from Ridgid if thats the way it should be but i'm assuming it was designed like that.

That's good.

Voltage/battery less than tool designed for - quite possibly no damage*, but much less power and stamina

* although probably ok for occassional use. extended use would have similar results of using a too light gauge extension cord such as motor overheating from excessive current draw. (Voltage drop - bad.)

Voltage/battery greater than tool designed for - BAD! ie voided warranty.

Better to use them (batteries) where they are designed to be used.
          Phil
          Tools Rule

Comment

Very little change

I'm not an engineer, but I doubt there is much dif between the 18v set and the 24 volt set.

Santa,

Please send me a 3rd party willing to build me an adapter for my 18 volt drill and my 24 volt battery. Although I'm sure this would void my warranty...I promise not to tell
            Kilroy was here!

Comment

Originally posted by Kilroy377
              I'm not an engineer, but I doubt there is much dif between the 18v set and the 24 volt set.

Santa,

Please send me a 3rd party willing to build me an adapter for my 18 volt drill and my 24 volt battery. Although I'm sure this would void my warranty...I promise not to tell
              That idea will never come up unless you make it.
              The problem is, as soon as something like this becomes available, (the powers that be) will have some way of tracking (electronically) the last thing that happened just before the unit died; ie right before you sent it in for warranty. They may already have in place some way of verifying events such as this, but might just be a "dumb," cheap component like a fusable resistor and tamper evident seals. Of course, with the price of the new Li-ion stuff, you can add more componentry to track stuff, especially if you are going to give an extended warranty. I recently read that the Milwaukee battery records it's "born on" date and number of successful charges.
              Bottom line: any unusual anomoly = varranty void.
              Phil
              Tools Rule

Comment

Big Brother of Abused Tools.

Phil, I'm sure you're right more than you know. I've never opened any Ridgid tool up (I have had nothing but quality so far) but there is always a few things companies put in to check for abuse.
                This is somewhat related, my cell phone stopped charging the battery. I took it to Nextel and they opened it up. There was some sticker that was blue. "Sir, you got this phone wet. This sticker should be red". Bottom line, no warranty service. BTW, a year earlier the phone had fallen into the toilet while I was doing a pull up. I didn't argue.

I'd still take the chance on the 24volt. Dollars to donuts there is very little difference between what I have and what they just put out. (I want to even say none!)
                Kilroy was here!

Comment

Originally posted by Kilroy377
                  ...some sticker that was blue. "Sir, you got this phone wet. This sticker should be red". Bottom line, no warranty service. BTW, a year earlier the phone had fallen into the toilet while I was doing a pull up. I didn't argue.
                  I'm still trying to figure out how (& why) you're doing pullups by the toilet; come to think of it, never mind.

See - here's the idea - it's called the RESTroom
                  Phil
                  Tools Rule

Comment

Restroom Etiquette

Phil, Its pull up, singular. I like to pull up my pants before I exit the stall. Its been my observation that when you don't...others get real nervous.
                    Kilroy was here!

Comment

I'd still take the chance on the 24volt. Dollars to donuts there is very little difference between what I have and what they just put out. (I want to even say none!)[/QUOTE]

Kilroy 377,
                      24 DC volts is 33% power voltage than 18 DC volts. Or 160 AC volts is 33% more Voltage than 120 AC volts. That being said, what would happen to your corded tools if you plugged them into a outlet charged with 160 volts?

answer: It will work real good unitl the smoke comes out.
                      Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

Originally posted by dingus
                        The website has been updated, with a separate subsite for the new XLi 24-volt tools/batteries.

edit: I read somewhere that the new LXi 24v batteries will work with the old 18v line of Ridgid cordless tools. Anyone know if this is this still the case, or was this idea scrapped at some point?
                        I heard the same thing from an HD sales rep, I spoke to Ridgid tech support and was told that they WERE NOT compatible with the 18 volt tools, but that they were coming out with an 18 volt lithium ion battery but there was no date to when that would happen.

Comment

You may be right.

Dawg, You may be right. I don't think the AC comparison really works. I can tell you that I have a buddy that took his 12 volt (give or take a volt) Dewalt, cut some plastic off the bottom and is still running 18 volt batteries in it. The problem there is, that on occasion, the battery falls out because it doesn't seat as well.

I would like to see one of the electrical experts take a part the new stuff and tell me if they see anything differant besides the battery slot.
                          Kilroy was here!

Comment

I got to touch them today.

Well, today was the first time I saw the tools on display. I have to admit they look a tad dif. I like the bigger blade on the saw. For me its just a hobby, so I didn't really see anything that would cause me to make the jump from my 18's. For you professionals out there it may be the right move. I know I'll buy in if they start producing some tools I don't already have that are cordless.
                            Kilroy was here!

Comment

I have a Ridgid 18v set (with the batteries that are marked "Max HC" on the side) that is about 6 mos. old, and just purchased the new 24v Ridgid combo.

The 18v batteries fit the 24v tools perfectly (no gaps, no falling out--just like they were made for the 24v tools), and they do work, although the tools have noticeably less power than with the 24v batteries. I don't know if it is a bad idea to run the the 24v tools with the 18v batteries. I'm thinking it can't be coincidental that 18v batteries fit on the 24v tools, so it must be okay? Opinions?

However, the reverse is not true. The 24v batteries do not fit the 18v tools at all. You cannot slide them on the tools, unless you were to modify the tools or the batteries.

(I've posted a separate thread in this forum with comparisons of the 24v Ridgid and V28 Milwaukee tools.)
                              So many saws, so few fingers...

Comment

From a few pages back

Your 18v NiCad batteries will work with the XLi tools. While the tools are optimized for 24v, you should be satisfied with with their performance should you find the need to use the 18v pack. You are also correct in saying that the XLi battery will not retrofit into any existing 18v tools. Thanks for your support of RIDGID.
                                Later,

Josh

Comment

Working...
                                X