Ridgid 24V Lithium Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels
    From what I hear Makita LXT is selling pretty well, probably better than V28 or the others.

As far as 36V being bulky.. everything over 18V is "bulky" so to speak, so is V28 and XLI bulky actually. you don't buy them if you're looking for a compact lightweight tool for screwing in electrical outlet covers. DeWalt's 36V is IMO the best high powered cordless on the market now.
    EXACTLY my thoughts. I'm sure the Makita is selling well because it's really what most people are going after. 18v is right now is the sweet spot for just about anything, so why not just make it smaller and lighter and keep the power the same?

DeWalt went towards the opposite end of the spectrum. They are going for a more industrial and construction site market. They have the technology now to double the power at the same battery weight. The tools are a fair bit heavier as they need to be beefier but still in the range of a corded tool such as the circular saw. The drill is pretty hefty at almost 7 pounds but its power output according to their own measurement is exactly the same as their largest high end corded hammer drill. If you need to do heavy duty masonry drilling that is likely the only drill you will be looking at if you want cordless power. Its not intended to be a wood shop drill.

Tools like the XLI series are nice but still IMO so close in performance to the 18V that its hardly worth the upgrade in most circumstances. If you're in the market for a completely new set of cordless tools around that range then it should be one of the top contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Park View Post
      i just bought the combo kit.24 volt Hammer drill/ Circular saw/Sawzall/ and Flashlight with single battery charging station. comes with two 24 volt batteries. it says they are 1 hour charging but theres no way it took that long to charge.
      tried them out tonight cutting a cupboard out for a built in dish washer. ended up here in the forum searching for info all over ridgid site.
      i found the saws and drill very comfortable, never even noticed that feeling of holding a new tool. boy do they ever cut.
      good stuff.
      Park-

Did you end up getting another bulb for the flashlight? I tried to find the extra bulb, but couldn't find one in the box. It wasn't in the flashlight, like the manual indicated.

Comment

$400 in FL.

Originally posted by Paladin2025 View Post
        Can you guys tell me what the going price for the Ridgid 24V tools (R932) are in the states? I'm up in Canada, and I'm deciding whether I should buy 'em up here, or down there.

Thanks.
        Its $400 in Florida for the 4 Combo.

Comment

As of tonight the 4 piece 24v Ridgid combo is going down from $597 to $397. My Dept Head told me it wasnt doing so well and they are blowing them out

(I havent read this whole thread to see what the general consensus of them was)

Comment

i just found out about a rebate if you buy the XLI 4 tool combo. You can get an additional tool for free, ie a cordless jigsaw, planer, etc.

i just sent it in today for the jigsaw.

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...idComboKit.pdf

not a bad deal, i ended up paying ~$360 for 4 tools and a flashlight.

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench View Post
              i just found out about a rebate if you buy the XLI 4 tool combo. You can get an additional tool for free, ie a cordless jigsaw, planer, etc.

This is a smokin' deal. I bought the same thing and chose the jigsaw... last week. Now I have to go back and get a $200 price adjustment. I can use that to epoxy my garage floor now though .

Comment

Got me the 4 LXI Combo today.

Feels good & I think they will last. I like the charge meters. I wish the saw had a laser and the drill had a built-in light.

Comment

I work with a guy that has made the 24v batterys work in the 18v stuff.

Its pretty simple, the batterys don't have to modified, only the 18v tools. A little plastic has to be removed to allow the battery to slide in, and also some new indents have to be made to allow the battery "hooks" to seat in the tool so it doesn't some out.

His 18v drill (510 in lbs) with 24v battery outperforms the 24v drill (615 in lbs). Its not a huge diifernce, but its noticable. I bought a 18v drill (the 585 in lbs) off Ebay, and plan on modifeing it to accept the 24v battery.

I used the 18v drill with 24v batterys today at work, it ran very strong, and didn't get as hot as normal when drilling some big holes in sheet metal. Also there wasn't any burning smell that some times has happend to me when working a 18v drill very hard.

Also the 24v batterys have built in overload protection (I found this out when working the drill very hard). The overload just shuts the battery down until you put it on the charger for a few seconds.

Bottom line: I'm not too impressed with the 24v tools, but I am impressed waht the 18v drills are capable of doing with a 24v battery.

BTW: I've always ran my 120v workbench tools (drill , angle grinder) off 140v. I have a nice little 120v/140v 15amp transformer. They all run much cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench View Post

Thank you very much!!!! I just picked up a 24V LXI combo today and didn't know a thing about this offer until I logged on this fourm... I just printed out the form and will be sending it out tomorrow. I was needing another cordless drill set to back up my DeWalt 14.4 . So I figured I would step up to an 18v or a 24v. HD had the 4 tool combo for 397.00...The drill with 2 batteries was 289.00 by it's self. So I get three more tools for 100.00 bucks. Not to shabby!!
                    Everyone thinks there problems are more important than yours!

Comment

18volt vs. 24volt comparison

I bought the 18volt set a couple months ago (the one with the impact wrench...not the reciprocating saw) when it was on clearance for $209. Just picked up this 24volt set a two days ago. Here is my impression...from a comparison standpoint.

The drill is actually a bit lighter (half a pound) than the 18V but this is probably because it doesn't come with a depth gauge or bit holder...questionable omissions on such a high end tool. The depth gauge is something I'd probably only use occasionally...the bit holder is something I use all the time...switching from drilling to driving.

The saw is lighter too, 8lbs 13oz vs. 9lbs 11oz. but again it does this with questionable changes...substituting a glass-filled nylon platform for the aluminum one on the 18V saw. It also switches the blade from the left hand (my preference as a right hander) to right hand side. Blade size is the same.

I don't have the 18V reciprocating saw for comparison but read the 24V one is a big improvement. It certainly is a beast. It weighs in at 9lbs 4oz. and runs incredibly smoothly. I have only owned cheap, tooth rattling, portable reciprocating saws (Black and Decker 14.4v Firestorm, Ryobi 18v OnePlus) and this thing is leaps and bounds better than them.

I read, on these forums, that some people were having very low runtime issues with the 24V set. I thought I discovered what was going on with the charging issue some people are having...but now I'm not so sure. The batteries have a charge level indicator on them. When they are plugged into the charger the indicator stays on. After only 5 minutes the indicator indicated full charge. However, the red charging light, on the charger was still on. I pulled the battery and it drained to nothing in a couple minutes. I then left the battery on the charger until the green, fully charged, indicator light came on. This took much longer...at least 30 minutes. Though I haven't done a rigorous discharge since then I have used them quite a bit and the batteries are still going strong.

Update on the charge issue. My drill suddenly died....the charge indicator only lit one light. Based on my usage it should have been nearly full. When I stuck it back in the charger it immediately gave a green light. Put it back in the drill and it worked fine after that. Something got messed up in it's little computer brain that the charger was able to fix. That is a little scary. Thank goodness for the lifetime warranty.

Comment

Man, they sure improved the 18 volt DeWalt Drill. A guy on one of my sites bought the 6 piece Dewalt 18 volt set the other day. So I got to try the new DC925 or whatever model it is, 18 volt Drill. I've used the old 988, which was a pretty good 18 volt drill, but this new drill, with the new chuck, blows it out of the water. How the hell did they get so much more juice into this drill?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
                          Man, they sure improved the 18 volt DeWalt Drill. A guy on one of my sites bought the 6 piece Dewalt 18 volt set the other day. So I got to try the new DC925 or whatever model it is, 18 volt Drill. I've used the old 988, which was a pretty good 18 volt drill, but this new drill, with the new chuck, blows it out of the water. How the hell did they get so much more juice into this drill?
                          They really did an incredible improvement on it. The 988 was a pretty good drill itself. I got the tool only from ebay to replace the DC988 that came in my 4 piece kit. The power claims for the new DC925 are pretty high but after testing its clear its no marketing bull. This thing outdid the 988 in every sense and put some of my older corded hammer drills to shame. I can comfortably drill holes with ease into reinforced concrete where I would normally break out the corded roto hammer. The drawback is its a little larger but I'll take it with all the extra power. I'm pretty sure this drill just got all the internal guts and technology that went into the 36v drill scaled down to 18v.

Comment

I really like the DC925 design..that is one nice drill. Played around with one in Home Depot the other day and it feels really good ergonomically. Feels more solid than the old model. Plus the motor seems a little smoother than the 988.. The body is a little bulkier now, but honestly it doesn't feel that way in-hand. Barely any weight difference. How much of a difference in power do you guys find?

Comment

It feels like a 20% difference. The motor sounds as lot different too. The sound is sort of like going from a stock exhaust system, to a really burbly aftermarket exhaust on a V8 with big pipes.

Comment

Yes the motor has changed,and there was a change in the transmission(at least both the part no.s have changed)they have changed the switch,and it seems a little cheaper than the old one.Just had one in for repair and the switch was bad.
                                A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Working...
                                X