X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 24V Lithium Tools

I was at work today (Home Depot) and was looking up something in the computer and this caught my eye.

The new Ridgid 24v Lithium ion tools are comming soon and will come to the home depot in a piece kit (Most likely drill, circ, recip, flashlight) and will cost $649 i don't know a date of shipment but i'll check the computer often to see when they are ordered so i can give a heads up to check them out.

In case anyone is wondering or want to see if thier local home depot is getting them in the sku number is 635-617. Just take that number to any HD tool associate and ask them to look it up and they can tell you if it's on the way or not. I search the web but couldn't come up with any pictures of them yet.

Also i came across the 36V DeWalt Lithium ion tools that my DeWalt rep told me HS isn't going to carry but they were also in my computer as a 4 piece kit for $799. The sku for that set is 431-931

thanks for the info.

Comment

Evolution of Cordless Tools

I was in the market for a new set of cordless tools and after checking out the Dewalt 18volt kits and the Milwaukee 24volt, I purchased the Rigid 18volt five tool set today at HD. Research tells me that lithium Ion batteries are superior to the ni cads but I just think the Rigids will not only hold up well for my use but the extra cost for the other tools is a waste. I'm sure there are pro's out there who like these latest battery tools as for me the Rigid tools appear to be very good quality, very strong and a good bargain. Not to mention the warrantee. I cut through a 9/16 threaded rod in a matter of seconds, no more dragging cords around. I wonder why Rigid just didn't come out with a 18volt lithium Ion battery for their existing 18volt tools? The 24's have got to be bigger and heavier? I like the impact driver but would like to see them offer a 1/2 impact gun for the 18volt series. Rigid could bury Dewalt with a tool like that.

Comment

Ridgid 24v lithium

The new 24vkit will be in Home Depot stores in June!

Comment

Good information on all lithium (and all) cordless tools...

There is an excellent, lengthy article on lithium-ion batteries and cordless tools in the June/July 2006 issue of Fine Homebuilding Magazine. According to the article, lithium batteries are clearly better and the way of the future.

As to why companies don't make lithium batteries to fit their existing tool lines, Metabo does and Milwaukee will. Apparently the difficulty lies with having the proper battery cell monitoring electronics in the battery would be difficult. Bosch claims that doing so will create battery temperature problems and could be dangerous. Plus, you would need a different charger.

The article says that Ridgid plans to extend its free lifetime service agreement to its new lithium cordless tools (and batteries). I just bought almost every cordless tool Ridgid makes to take advantage of the lifetime service agreement that includes battery replacement. I'd have certainly waited if I'd known that these lithium tools were just around the bend.

It also says that the technology will continue to develop and improve (no surprise there), so the only reason I'd switch over to these new lithium Ridgid tools anytime soon would be to make sure that I got the free lifetime replacement on the batteries (and service on the tools). I'm guessing Ridgid won't always offer this agreement.

As an aside, I saw and tested the new DeWalt 36 volt lithium tools at a DeWalt event at a local HD today. They were powerful, though I did not notice much of a power difference between them and my v28 Milwaukee tools. What I noticed most was how cheap they looked and felt. Poor fit and finish, which always makes me think that they aren't going to last (I have some corded benchtop DeWalt tools I like, but I've never been much impressed by their hand-held power tools (whether corded or cordless). The Milwaukee tools are much, much nicer.
          Last edited by Lee M; 05-23-2006, 07:20 PM.
          So many saws, so few fingers...

Comment

Dewalt 36 Volt

I went over to Lowes today and looked at the 36 volt Dewalt tools. Too big! That battery is huge and the drill was quite heavy. If the new Ridgid stuff comes out that heavy, I'll stick with the 18v stuff.

Kilroy was here!
            Kilroy was here!

Comment

Lowes is actually carrying the 36 volt tools in store now?

Comment

Dewalt 36 Volt

Yep, I don't know how many they had in stock, but they had a display. Home Depot had a few boxes, but no display...I never checked the price.

Kilroy was here!
                Kilroy was here!

Comment

24 Volt Ridgid

I talked to my favorite tool guy at HD and he said he didn't figure on seeing the new 24 volt Ridgid stuff until sometime in July. My question is "Why can't the fans here in these forums and on the Ridgid website get a peek?"

Kilroy was here!
                  Kilroy was here!

Comment

Originally posted by Kilroy377
                    I talked to my favorite tool guy at HD and he said he didn't figure on seeing the new 24 volt Ridgid stuff until sometime in July. My question is "Why can't the fans here in these forums and on the Ridgid website get a peek?"
                    Yet another great idea! But does this fall in front of blind eye's?

hey Kilroy if go open your "user cp" and then select "edit signature" you won't have to type in "Kilroy was here" every time.
                    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Accoring to the website they are the same price as home depot.

Expect to see the 24v out by the end of this month from what I hear selling for $649.00. Also apparently they have a new feature that could not be shared until they launch.

As far as this website except for this foruum it is so far behind new tools are not even listed under new tool section even though they have been out for quite a while.
                      Last edited by RedBaron; 06-17-2006, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Sparky, Your a gentleman and a scholar and their isn't many of us left. Lets see if it worked.
                        Kilroy was here!

Comment

Everyone can sneak a peek at the Ridgid 24v Li-ion tools in the July 2006 PM magazine. They list the set @ $599, and I think the new feature, as discussed in the article is the "fuel gauge" - similar to the new Milwaukee Li-ion batteries. Everyone should read the article and reply to the thread that I posted in the "Give Us Your Tool Ideas" forum. Hope this helps....
                          "If you're gonna hoot with the owls, you've got to soar with the eagles!"

Comment

Am I wrong to say that lithium batteries don't last very long in cold weather. I use them in the RC hobbies and my lithiums dont last at all unless they are at proper operating temperatures.

Comment

hey ijones...

The v 28 batteries have faired pretty good in the cold as one plumber has told me.
                              http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ghlight=dewalt
                              read PLUMBER's posts.
                              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
                              X