X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That TS3650 arbor, again.

I posted this elswhere, but since the problem comes up here a lot, I thought I'd drop it in here just FYI. I just brought home my new TS3650 today and it still has the old arbor. Not a bother to me, but just to pass the word that they're still out there. I do use a stacked dado from time to time, but when I do it's nearly always for shelves. In that case all I need do is put one of the fat chippers on first and it spans the "missing" part of the arbor thread.

S/N: P054592251. Is this some ancient stock, or is Ridgid still using that bad arbor?

I LOVE the TS.
    Unanswered Questions
    are far less dangerous
    than Unquestioned Answers.

By "fat chipper" are you referring to a 1/8" wide chipper. If that works then I would say you don't have a bad arbor, or am I missing something?
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

fat chipper

As I have been reading it, the only time the missing thread on the suspect arbor becomes a problem is if a thin chipper "falls into the groove." With an 1/8" chipper next to the 1/8" outside blade of the dado set, the missing thread would seem to be a non-issue. I haven't tried running a dado on it yet, but just looking at the arbor, I don't see a problem.
      Unanswered Questions
      are far less dangerous
      than Unquestioned Answers.

Comment

If what your saying is correct then the only time the bad arbor would have caused a problem was when someone was cutting a 5/16" dado. I don't believe that was the case so it sounds to me like your saw doesn't have the bad arbor.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

This can't work, it's too simple

Why not install a small O ring just big enough to fill the groove? It would keep the dado blade even with the others, and once the arbor nut was tightened, that puppy wouldn't move.

Whaddya think?

Al
          America:
          The land of the free
          Because of the brave

Comment

Here is the thread with the pics of the good and bad arbor.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ighlight=arbor
            SSG, U.S. Army
            Retired
            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

By putting in a spacer you would lose the accuracy of the dado cut. The blade position would not be correct in reference to where you had your fence set. Again I would rather to have Ridgid fix it and get it done right and over with all at once.
              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by hiloguy
                I posted this elswhere, but since the problem comes up here a lot, I thought I'd drop it in here just FYI. I just brought home my new TS3650 today and it still has the old arbor. Not a bother to me, but just to pass the word that they're still out there. I do use a stacked dado from time to time, but when I do it's nearly always for shelves. In that case all I need do is put one of the fat chippers on first and it spans the "missing" part of the arbor thread.

S/N: P054592251. Is this some ancient stock, or is Ridgid still using that bad arbor?

I LOVE the TS.
                I just went out and looked at my sn vs yours. Your saw's sn comes after mine. My saw had the good arbor when I bought it. Your saw most likely has the good arbor. I think you just happened to run across an old thread. I think your saw is probably fine.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Allen, you sure have been busy since joining which is great to see but you need to read a few more posts before bad mouthing. Ridgid mailed new arbors out to all that asked for them once we identified the problem and they had time to machine new ones. I believe Ridgid has stopped mailing them out but will still replace all bad arbors at authorized repair centers.
                  Judging by all the old threads most people were able to change the arbor themselves but it was not a simple task. I bet there are still a few out there that received new arbors and they are still sitting on the shelf

Comment

No need to apologize, everyone is entitled to their opinion here - even me

Comment

Originally posted by acemery
                      Why not install a small O ring just big enough to fill the groove? It would keep the dado blade even with the others, and once the arbor nut was tightened, that puppy wouldn't move.
                      Originally posted by wwsmith
                      By putting in a spacer you would lose the accuracy of the dado cut. The blade position would not be correct in reference to where you had your fence set. Again I would rather to have Ridgid fix it and get it done right and over with all at once.
                      Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly. What I meant was a rubber O ring just big enough to fill the groove to keep the blade from falling into it. The blade would slide over the O ring and stay in place in relation to the other blades.

True, the best solution is to replace the arbor, but it's a possible solution for the lazy guy.

Al
                      America:
                      The land of the free
                      Because of the brave

Comment

Working...
                      X